92 Tsi AWD

Posted By: Nigel Smith

92 Tsi AWD - August 04, 2009 07:43 pm UTC

Hey all, firstly I will state that I know how impossible it is to sell a DSM in this day and age, Ive tried before and it always seems to end up in a partout, and this one may as well. I figure I will try and sell it as a whole first. The car is Burgundy with everyones fave red interior. The car is 99% rust free ( One fender is juuuust starting to bubble) The car has served me extremely well and I am only selling it because I got a new job and need something more geared to commuting to Toronto every morning.

All that being said the car does have some issues, and will be sold AS-IS.

Whats good/replaced recently:
- 6 bolt / 4 bolt combo
- Solid Engine / Tranny (one of the best 1g tranny's I have ever driven)
- 16g turbo, with 2g manifold and o2 housing
- Body is 8/10
- New fuel sending unit and walbro 190 pump
- New-ish Alternator
- Synthetic fluids and Mitsu filters since I took ownership
- Upper IC Piping w. MAF-T and a MBC with Automete gauge
- New OEM Slave cylinder

What it will need:
-Power steering leaks from the top banjo bolt, so I cut the belt and have been enjoying that since early this summer
- Car has weak-ass heat, the blower motor works, I replaced the heater core itself but it never really worked 100% (only the defrost seemed to work), not a safety issue but an issue nonetheless.
- A/C is gone
- Clutch will need replacing at some time, I have been driving it as is for some time, I just dont rip on it ever. It will slip in 4th or 5th gear above 4000rpms boosting.
- Mild downpipe leaks (should be a real easy fix)

Note: I have all the necessary parts to fix the clutch, and will include them with any sale... (ACT 2100 w. 10k light mileage, no racing. New OEM TOB, and a used 6 bolt Flywheel)

Sorry for the length but I am trying to cover all the bases, I am not expecting much and would like to sell this car quickly, or decide its unsaleable and will part it out in a week or two.

Asking Price: $1,300

Pics to come after the storm

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 04, 2009 08:00 pm UTC

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Octavio Barrera

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 04, 2009 09:25 pm UTC

Do you have any interior and engine bay pics?, mileage on the body?, what is needed for safety?

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 04, 2009 11:15 pm UTC

I cant believe i forgot the mileage... 202,xxx...

As far as safety, PS forsure, tires and front brakes would come down to measurements, possibly depending on the tech the exhaust leak...

When it was safetied in May 08 I was under the car and watchin and talking to the mechanic and he said everything was very tight, no axles should be torn etc...
Posted By: Darren McBeth

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 05, 2009 01:35 am UTC

Was the engine replaced? Or just running well?
Posted By: James Karban

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 05, 2009 01:39 am UTC

looks like a good deal for someone.

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 05, 2009 03:53 am UTC

Originally Posted by Darren McBeth
Was the engine replaced? Or just running well?

Just running well, it has a bit of warm-up lifter tick, compression was good last I checked ~145psi across give or take a few, no reason to think it has changed since...
Posted By: John MacPhail

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 05, 2009 07:43 pm UTC

Pmed you on this. and just another quick question what kind of Maf on it se it has a Maf-T on it. PM or email your Phone # I will call. Thanks

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 05, 2009 08:04 pm UTC

3" GM MAF and MAF-T v. 2.02 or whatever they call the 2nd version of the MAF-T

edit, a few people have asked for engine and interior shots I will post them up shortly.

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 05, 2009 08:16 pm UTC

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 05, 2009 08:29 pm UTC

[Linked Image]

Picture of the clutch setup which I will include with any purchase of the whole car.

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 05, 2009 08:37 pm UTC

I should have included this in my original post, I am not allowing anyone to test drive this car on the street... We can certainly go for as long a drive as you like, but I will be driving the car. Simply put I don't trust anyone to drive this car without the power steering, last thing I need is someone to come here test drive it & be uncomfortable with it and smash it up. If this is a problem TOO BAD.

All that being said I don't have anything to hide and have been straight forward as I can, its purely a liability issue, this is actually a pretty hard car to drive, and at minimum takes some getting used to.

Note: This car is driven everyday and is completely plated / insured by myself, so in case anyone thinks thats the reason, its not.

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 06, 2009 02:31 pm UTC

I will take this car, sent you a PM.
Posted By: Derek Rose

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 06, 2009 03:08 pm UTC

Originally Posted by John MacPhail
I will take this car, sent you a PM.

HAHA... well that's one way to get the transfer case you were looking for.

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 06, 2009 05:23 pm UTC

Fine, send me a cheque, I will mail you the car... But seriously your location is so far, whats you're plan?
Posted By: Derek Rose

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 06, 2009 05:42 pm UTC

I'll pick it up if you want!! haha... my friend is driving to Ontario this weekend.
Posted By: Jay McClelland

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 06, 2009 06:03 pm UTC

Man, my dream talon. Don't suppose you would want a civic to comute back and forth? it would be safetied and etested.

I miss my burgandy and red car.

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 06, 2009 07:21 pm UTC

PM me the details of this civic, cant promise you anything, but I am lookin at similar (slightly nicer) vehicles to replace this Talon, ya never know.

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 06, 2009 07:48 pm UTC

Pm sent. As for nicer. Well Talons are about as nice as cars got to my concern. Al I can say is blue book value(whatever the used car package says) of the civic is still like 3600. Where as my last talon awhile ago was only 800 =[

The only thing about the civic I like its it starts everytime and is cheap on gas.

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 06, 2009 08:05 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Nigel Smith
Fine, send me a cheque, I will mail you the car... But seriously your location is so far, whats you're plan?

Same as the last 6 cars i bought up there, email deposit, fly up,If lucky buyer picks me up, Pay balance hang for a day or 2, drive home, simple!
This would make the 95th car I have owned 6 from ON 8 NS and 9-10 from NB rest local. Last year 97 BMW 328is and 2000 Saab 9-5 From GTA. Its also about the adventure, in 05 I brought back my current talon bought with a burt exh valve, drove to the falls for 3 days then back to pei, a little slow a couple of minor problems but no big. Just some history. I have cash relyed on the pics your disc, wanted to ask if it was good underneath and pick it up.If you don't want to sell to me just say so.

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 06, 2009 08:23 pm UTC

Originally Posted by John MacPhail
Originally Posted by Nigel Smith

Same as the last 6 cars i bought up there, email deposit, fly up, pickup car hang for a day or 2, drive home, simple!
If you don't want to sell to me just say so.

I dont want to sell you the car
Posted By: Reza Mirza

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 06, 2009 08:35 pm UTC

If we didn't have soo many cars on the driveway, I would have bought this by now.

Somebody buy it asap before I make room on my driveway by tomorrow.

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 06, 2009 08:37 pm UTC

Thank You! Hope your sale goes well

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 06, 2009 09:19 pm UTC

If I still had my job I woulda pick this up. Its a nice car Nigel =] Wish I had a lower k car for you =]
Posted By: Brandon Clement

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 06, 2009 09:21 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Reza Mirza
If we didn't have soo many cars on the driveway, I would have bought this by now.

Somebody buy it asap before I make room on my driveway by tomorrow.

buy it and store it at my place tongue / let me drive it in the winter laugh

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 18, 2009 02:56 pm UTC

OK, so I have had a couple $1000 offers and maybe I should have accepted them.
I will take $1000 now, and thats firm. If you offer 800, 900, 999.99 I won't deal. Car is still driven everyday, and I will start parting it out this weekend if noone takes advantage of this deal.
Posted By: Ziggy Dietrich

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 18, 2009 04:00 pm UTC

I cant believe no-one has snatched this up....would you consider delivering it to Niagara Falls??
Posted By: Steve Whitman

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 18, 2009 04:12 pm UTC

I've been in this car and seen how clean it is.

All I can say is DAM your all fools. If I had space this car would be mine in a heart beat. This is by far one of the cleanest 1g body I've seen.

Good luck Nigel

Steve

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 18, 2009 04:16 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Ziggy Dietrich, RTM Racing
I cant believe no-one has snatched this up....would you consider delivering it to Niagara Falls??

Not out of the question

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 18, 2009 05:47 pm UTC

I'll come take it tonight 100%, if Zig hasn't beat me to it.

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 18, 2009 06:09 pm UTC

Damn...I was hoping Nigel would deliver....so I don't think I have beaten you to it...

I was a little concerned with driving it without the PS pump working but with the PS rack still in...so was hoping Nigel would deliver for that reason..

Well, Nigel, looks like you have your choice of buyers now...
(but keep in mind Reza already HAS a 1g.... wink )

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 18, 2009 06:12 pm UTC

Looks like the car has a buyer, they are scheduled to pick the car up this evening, I will update tonight.

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 18, 2009 07:24 pm UTC

I sure hope this is going to Reza...

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 19, 2009 02:53 am UTC

SOLD!

Thanks for the interest all

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 19, 2009 03:54 am UTC

One beautiful car, and it perfectly suits my wife. She loves it!

Body and paint in great condition as mentioned. Virtually no rust at all as its obviously been rust proofed a few times, except for the little tiny bubble that was mentioned. Car looks way better in person.

Compression is good, drivetrain and tranny is in EXCELLENT shape.

I've looked over everything, and all it needs is a new clutch (that was supplied), a new t-case seal/yoke, and t belt tensioner.

What a STEAL! thanks Nigel!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 19, 2009 04:03 am UTC

Great looking car, enjoy it!
Posted By: Mike Lane

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 19, 2009 04:13 am UTC

In the second pic your's looks like its staring it down because its wondering what just happened and wants back in its garage! laugh
Posted By: Brandon Clement

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 19, 2009 04:43 am UTC

The colour is perfect for a girl too. So will that car be running 11s on a 16G soon or what?!

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 19, 2009 10:47 am UTC

Well, I'm glad it went to a good home..That WAS a steal...I have no idea why this was not jumped all over??

Anyways, I second Brandon's question....I think this one already has a 16g doesn't it?

Is your wife going to line up beside you at the track now??

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 19, 2009 01:31 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Brandon Clement
So will that car be running 11s on a 16G soon or what?!

11's easily wink , already has a small 16g on it. Most likely it will just get a fmic, some fuel, and make it run mid 12's on pump without meth.

Plans for now is to just fix up the t-case leak, clutch, remove balance shafts, and let her enjoy it. These are all easy fixes that I'll get to soon.

Ziggy, I'm also surprised that no one else bought this. I seen a few guys looking for good 1g DSM's, and I really think this is the best it gets for the price! I told Nigel yesterday I was willing to pay his original asking price for the car even after he posted $1000. Whoever didn't take this while they had the chance and low balled, too bad tongue

Even the body is well worthy of a paint job if you didn't like the colour.

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 19, 2009 03:22 pm UTC

The second pic remids me of when a house gets a new pet, in this case a new kitty, and the rottweiler has to sit outside for the night as the kitty "adjusts".

I'm glad the deal has worked for all parties, and I know I'm gonna be mad jelly when this car is running 12s or faster.

PS... T-case is news to me hopefully it was not anything large.

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 19, 2009 03:32 pm UTC

No worries on the t-case, its mint still. I noticed the yoke was a little wet with a dribble of gear oil.

A new seal will take care of that when I do the clutch smile
I have a couple new seals and yokes already, so no big deal.

DSM's rule the garage now.

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 19, 2009 06:04 pm UTC

Well, I don't think it could have found a better home, and I still haven't found time to work on the 2g I picked up almost a year ago....so I probably shouldn't have bought this anyways...

All's well that ends well....

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 20, 2009 01:59 am UTC

Are you guys joking? I tried to buy it at the full asking price and he would not sell it to me.. Guess my cash is no good! Lucky
Ziggy does not feel the same way cheap clutch and flywheel coming from him and Just got a disk and pp from Yasar Issa no troubles.

Ziggy, I'm also surprised that no one else bought this. I seen a few guys looking for good 1g DSM's, and I really think this is the best it gets for the price! I told Nigel yesterday I was willing to pay his original asking price for the car even after he posted $1000. Whoever didn't take this while they had the chance and low balled, too bad tongue

Even the body is well worthy of a paint job if you didn't like the colour.

[/quote]

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 20, 2009 03:09 am UTC

I guess it matters if you show up with the cash.

When I sell stuff, first to give me the cash takes it. Talk is cheap!

Peoples plans always change at the last minute, and since your all the way in PEI, no offence but I would have probably done the same...

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 20, 2009 06:13 am UTC

yeah, all I could offer is my civic. With getting laid off. I had no chance to pick this up. I woulda been all over it. Very nice car makes me miss my burgandy talon with red interior.

=] I agree it went to a good home though. Maybe down the road if it goes for sale I can pick it up. =]

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 20, 2009 11:24 am UTC

Guess I might as well offer up my opinions on a couple things:

I also didn't understand why Nigel didn't want to sell to someone who was not local. LOTS of guys have bought cars sight unseen and had them shipped, and John even mentioned he had bought other cars in Ontario, just made the road trip to pick them up. Anyways, Nigel is well within his rights to do as he pleases, just surprised me...

the other thing I disagree with is the "cash is king" philosophy. I grew up in a time when a man's word was his bond, and I still operate that way. If someone tells me "I might come look at it", well, I don't place a lot of value on that...but if someone tells me "I WILL DEFINITELY take it", I consider it sold. If someone backs out after that, well, next time I don't believe THAT particular person....but to distrust EVERYONE because the odd guy has backed out....that doesn't seem right to me..

Anyways, now you have "the opinion to which everyone is entitled".....

Carry on...

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 20, 2009 03:47 pm UTC

On a side note, power steering leak was a quick fix. Just threw on another pump with good seal, from the couple spares I had laying around. 15 minute fix and PS works like a charm now with no leaks.

Clutch and t-belt/ bshaft removal should be done by the weekend smile

I think this will be running like a charm in a few days smile
Posted By: Rafael Pimentel III

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 20, 2009 04:44 pm UTC

Slacker.... Why isn't it done yet?

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 20, 2009 05:32 pm UTC

I know.....

Actually I just got the lug nut key in the mail from Nigel. I can take the wheels off now and get to it.
Posted By: Mike Lane

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 20, 2009 06:28 pm UTC

There shure have been some interesting deals lately. After my car is up to snuff I will hopefully be saving for a winter beater laugh
I am not looking foreward to another winter like the last one with no freedom!

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 25, 2009 11:16 pm UTC

Car is up and running like a champ!

Pulled b shafts, new t-belt & tensioner, installed ACT2100, new bottom end seals everywhere, new t-case seal, replaced a driveshaft carrier(the center one was gone), new tcase yoke(from the stock pile I have), new thermostat(existing one was stuck open causing the heating issue).

NO leaks at all, cranked the boost upto 16psi, adjusted base timing, pulls nice smile

Now it will get some winter tires.

Not bad for spending an extra $300 on the car wink

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 25, 2009 11:22 pm UTC

I will give you 4500...

Seriously though nice work gettin it done, im impressed you got the heat working well.

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 25, 2009 11:59 pm UTC

When I was burping the system after putting it back together, tell tale sign the thermostat was gone, was seeing the coolant flowing through the engine as soon as I started it while it was cold. The thermostat was already stuck open.

Oh and last, the knock sensor had all the goo melted out of it, replaced that with a good one laying around smile

Took it for a highway drive and runs nice and smooth pimp
Posted By: Ryan Laliberte

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 26, 2009 12:53 am UTC

Reza, you are insane. Seriously.

Fuckin insane man................
Posted By: Scharok Nieknam

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 27, 2009 03:13 am UTC

this is so funny... FS post turned into a build post laugh .. we need new pics of the car Reza
Posted By: Rob Strelecki

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 27, 2009 03:39 am UTC

^^^
Indeed. So I've moved it to a more appropriate forum rotate
Posted By: Tim Grechin

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 27, 2009 04:11 am UTC

I saw the car on Saturday night. I must say that I'm KINDA jeleous I didn't jump on it. I wish I took the time to take a look at it in person because for a 1G, it's in great shape.

Not only did Reza do all that work, but he did it on a car that had never had any of the drivetrain removed at any point. The transmission and transfer case had that '18 year old' metal on metal corrosion. Most of the parts replaced were factory originals still on from the assembly plant.

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 27, 2009 04:14 am UTC

Lol sorry for dragging the original FS post.

Not much pics to post. The car still looks the same just drives well and is more reliable now smile

Maybe I'll get some pics up of the dash board once it bonds cool

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 27, 2009 04:25 am UTC

Yes tru, none of the drivetrain parts were ever removed, original clutch and everything.

I have to say it was a pain in the ass getting the transfer case off. I had to remove the tranny end case and undo the viscous clip. Still the t case would not come right out of the tranny with the output shaft attched as the oil pan was in the way.

Got it over enough to grab the shaft with a vice grip as close as possible to the t-case. Pry bar and a hammer worked it loose from there. Other than that I spent a good time cleaning the front case, rear cover, and other little parts from all the grime build up over the years.

I already got these little 450's maxed out at 15ish psi. Time for some more fuel.
Posted By: Joe Esmama

Re: 92 Tsi AWD - August 27, 2009 05:14 am UTC

Good to know the car is in progress. Id like to see it one of this days man cool .
© 2024 Club DSM Canada