1990 Eagle Talon AWD trans question

Posted By: Ralph Mcphee

1990 Eagle Talon AWD trans question - January 20, 2009 01:35 am UTC

I own a 06 Eclipse,a 95 eagle talon awd turbo, a just picked up a 1990 awd turbo talon 5 speed completely rebuilt and modded engine everything new. But the trans when i shift to second is hard to get in gear sometime but when its warmed up no problems.
Is this a common issue?
Posted By: Brian Fernandez

Re: 1990 Eagle Talon AWD trans question - January 20, 2009 01:37 am UTC

yes
Posted By: James Karban

Re: 1990 Eagle Talon AWD trans question - January 20, 2009 05:14 am UTC

switch the fluid to a mix of Redline Mt90 and Redline MTL. This should fix your shifting problem.
Posted By: Troy Jollimore

Re: 1990 Eagle Talon AWD trans question - January 20, 2009 02:08 pm UTC

Mine would grind and crunch. The dealer couldn't even fix it very well with new synchros and even shaving them.

You know what made it 1000x better? A shorter gear knob. No word of a lie. When I put the stock knob back on to test this, the crunchiness came back, then disappeared when I put the short knob back on.
Posted By: Jay McClelland

Re: 1990 Eagle Talon AWD trans question - January 21, 2009 01:11 am UTC

I noticed alot of the grinding went away in my old tranny. When I switched shift knobs. I thought it was cause my weighted knob. MADE it shift. =]

Stock one back on would make it harder to shift.

Mine use to grind all the time in first when it was cold. But it always started atleast.
Posted By: Tashko Sarakinov

Re: 1990 Eagle Talon AWD trans question - January 21, 2009 02:30 am UTC

That's weird. It's somehow implying that faster shift linkage movements result in smoother shifts...

Posted By: Ryan Laliberte

Re: 1990 Eagle Talon AWD trans question - January 21, 2009 03:43 am UTC

Originally Posted by Tashko Sarakinov

That's weird. It's somehow implying that faster shift linkage movements result in smoother shifts...

You know Tashko, I was thinking the same thing. How does removing 3-4" of knob height magically remove shifting grind?

EGAD! Tranny shops are missing out on this!!!

Re: 1990 Eagle Talon AWD trans question - January 21, 2009 01:20 pm UTC

I had that same theory, Tash. The problem was when I would shift slowly (which I did usually, I don't drive hard unless I really want to, which isn't often) it STILL wouldn't grind. In the end I cut an inch or two from the shifter itself, and when I put the stock knob on to try it ground again.

It made absolutely no sense to me at all...
Posted By: Rob Strelecki

Re: 1990 Eagle Talon AWD trans question - January 22, 2009 05:42 am UTC

You're probably shifting with more force on the shorter stick, so that helps.

Also, maybe it's not so much the speed/force of the shift and moreso a complete "throw"?
You definitely feel the shift better with a shorter stick, so I think there's less a chance of letting go and engaging the clutch early.

There must be some defect though. You shouldn't have to force it at all in regular driving.

Re: 1990 Eagle Talon AWD trans question - January 22, 2009 06:03 am UTC

I couldn't explain it. But it was true. Although with the floppy cock shifter I found my self reluctant to put it in gear when I felt it about to grind

Re: 1990 Eagle Talon AWD trans question - January 22, 2009 12:26 pm UTC

Thought of that too, Rob... I shifted light and hard, fast and slow, with both knobs. No difference. And made SURE the clutch was always fully depressed (like I said, I was hardly ever in a hurry). I even showed the dealer mechanic and he couldn't wrap his head around it, either.

Although this was the same guy that was SUPER granny-shifting my car to show me it had no issues at all, until he went into second with a CRRRUNNNCHGRRRIIINNNDDD... and he STILL hesitated a few seconds before admitting there might be a problem.
Posted By: Tashko Sarakinov

Re: 1990 Eagle Talon AWD trans question - January 22, 2009 02:20 pm UTC

I'd be more inclined to think that the short shifter inadvertantly improves peoples clutch/lever timing, as I think Rob was implying, rather than a mysterious affect on the synchros...

Re: 1990 Eagle Talon AWD trans question - January 22, 2009 08:22 pm UTC

That makes sense to me. With that shift knob shifting never felt wrong. With the stock one. Felt like bamboo. Lot of flexing, never broke though

Re: 1990 Eagle Talon AWD trans question - January 22, 2009 11:08 pm UTC

So would I, Tash... But I'm hardly an inexperienced n00b when it comes to shifting. And that's with trying different timings.
Posted By: Kevin Jenkins

Re: 1990 Eagle Talon AWD trans question - January 22, 2009 11:52 pm UTC

Maybe it has to do with our crappy shifter assembly in the center console. The donkey dick has WAY more leverage than a smaller knob which ends up twisting and moving the assembly rather than moving the cable itself.

Just a thought.
© 2024 Club DSM Canada