My new big brakes

Posted By: Nick Boers

My new big brakes - January 17, 2004 07:48 pm UTC

4 piston brembos, 12" rotor, 1-1/16" master cylinder.

Pedal is solid as a rock. These monoblocks must not flex at ALL. smile

Haven't worked them hard yet, i want the pads to bed in first. So far, seems really nice.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tom George

Re: My new big brakes - January 17, 2004 08:24 pm UTC

Nick, that’s REAL Pretty. Looks good!
Posted By: Brent Low

Re: My new big brakes - January 17, 2004 10:12 pm UTC

Where from? How much? Direct fit for your 1g? What size wheels do you need? Sorry for all the questions, but I need brakes and I'm exploring all my options. Thanks.
Posted By: Darko Miodrag

Re: My new big brakes - January 18, 2004 01:51 am UTC

Originally posted by Brent Low:
Where from? How much? Direct fit for your 1g? What size wheels do you need? Sorry for all the questions, but I need brakes and I'm exploring all my options. Thanks.
It was a custom job. You can bet your ass that Porsche brakes aren't a direct bolt-on for DSMs. lol
Posted By: Danny Mak

Re: My new big brakes - January 18, 2004 03:48 am UTC

Originally posted by Brent Low:
i also have the same questions!!
Posted By: Wesley Burke

Re: My new big brakes - January 18, 2004 05:11 am UTC

a) A place where you get used car parts? A wrecker?
b) If you have to ask... it's too much. lol
c) If you want them, see above. Nick's a handy guy... Otherwise listen to Darko.
d) Steel 16's with a spacer, factory alloys, I don't think do.

All in all... If you have a machine shop, get to work, otherwise start thinking about cutting Nick a cheque. pimp

Hope Nick doesn't mind me jumping in here. I was in the car today with him but as he said he hadn't really tried them out yet.

Re: My new big brakes - January 18, 2004 06:19 am UTC

The calipers are used. They were about $400 for the pair.

I'll have to check, but i can probably make the brackets and adapter rings for the rotors for about $250.

16" Steelies on there now. I needed a little bit of a spacer to keep them from scraping the paint off the claipers. My 17" Avenger rims clear fine. It's the spoke clearance, not the radial clearance. These calipers stick out about 2.5" from the rotor face.

I'll check how a factory 16 fits tomorrow, lol.

So far, they're seating nicely, i'll beat on them in a couple days to see what they can do.
Posted By: Rob Cauduro

Re: My new big brakes - January 18, 2004 06:29 am UTC

I am planning on doing the same with corvette brakes my friend has laying around. He owes me money so I am taking them from him demon Couple hours after work one day on a cnc mill and done! Its gravey!
Posted By: Adrian Hossu

Re: My new big brakes - January 18, 2004 07:54 am UTC

I wonder how much you can get the back wheels to lift off the ground under heavy braking smile

Speaking of back, did you do anything for the rear brakes? That looks amazing. Looks nicer than the black calipers.

Re: My new big brakes - January 18, 2004 08:15 pm UTC

I got the back wheels VERY light ith my last brake setup. These shouldn't have any more power, but i like them because they're a fixed caliper, and they're much more rigid. They look cool too smile

I've got a 12" rotor for the back, i just have to work out the mounting bracket for it.

Rob, are they a newer, dual piston vette brake? They'll work nice. It's very similar to what i had on there before.

BTW, a stock 16" fits, but it'll need a 1/2" spacer behind the wheel.

Re: My new big brakes - January 18, 2004 09:19 pm UTC

The calipers are from a 97 vett,(so he says) is that considered "newer"? I am worried about rigidity like you said though. Would aluminum be a good idea to make the brackets out of or should I go Stainless steel. I dont want them corroting, so I want to use either of those materials.

Edit, do you think doweling the bracket and old mounting surface will provide a more rigid and reliable setup or will just using bolts suffice?

Re: My new big brakes - January 18, 2004 10:36 pm UTC

97 would be the nice dual piston PBRs i think. Good stuff, like what i just took off.

Material choice depends on the geometry. If you can make it really beefy, aluminum is fine. If it's gotta be thin, then go with a GOOD steel, or titanium. I almost got some 6al-4v titanium for doing the first brackets, but got outbid on ebay, lol. The Porsche calipers are mounted with some 6x2x1.5" aluminum brackets. The other calipers were held on by a 1/2" thick plate, which i made from 4140 tool steel.

[Linked Image]

Stainless isn't that strong as far as steel goes. Get a 4140 or similar steel.

What are you using for rotors?

Use GOOD bolts, and a tight clearance hole, and you're fine. That's what the factory does afterall. I was going 12.1mm for a 12mm bolt. I used 12.9 SHCS

Re: My new big brakes - January 19, 2004 12:56 am UTC

Rotors? I havent even thought about that yet to tell you the truth. Thanx for reminding me lol

I appreatiate all the advice, thanx.

BTW, your setup looks great!
Posted By: Steve Marton

Re: My new big brakes - January 19, 2004 05:41 am UTC

What do you consider when selecting the master cylinder? I assume any of the dsm masters are interchangeable?

Re: My new big brakes - January 19, 2004 05:46 am UTC

Why wouldnt the factory master cylender be sufficient?

Re: My new big brakes - January 19, 2004 05:53 am UTC

The larger the cross section of the caliper pistons, the more travel is required from the master to get the same travel from the calipers.

In theory the pistons shouldnt really move, but just apply more pressure, so the pedal shouldn't even move. In reality, there is flex in the calipers, and the lines. Caliper flex is different betwene calipers, and when they flex, the pistons do move.

I should have realized that the brembos were going to be very stiff calipers, and a 1" MC from an ABS DSM would have worked, instead of hacking in the 17/16" one. Oh well, it's all good smile

Re: My new big brakes - January 19, 2004 05:56 am UTC

So is it safe to assume my ABS master will be sufficiant for dual piston vette clipers. You said they were similar to what you were using before. Was your old setup using the new cylender?

Re: My new big brakes - January 19, 2004 06:23 am UTC

The 15/16" master will work. I know that because that's what i used. I think the 1" would be better. They came on the ABS equipped AWD 1Gs, so you're fine.

I'd like to see some pics of these calipers if i could smile

Re: My new big brakes - January 19, 2004 06:38 am UTC

I dont have a digi and the calipers are in Guelph at the moment. My friend owes me quite a bit of money so he agreed to give me these calipers as payment. I'll grab them this week. I'll steal the digi from work again if the oppertunity should arise demon
Posted By: Kapak Leung

Re: My new big brakes - January 19, 2004 06:56 pm UTC

Awesome work Nick.

What brake pads do you use?
Are those Porsche / Brembo rotors as well?

With these callipers, pad change is only a 5 minutes job. Be prepare for a body shell / chassis separation when you get serious with the middle paddle. naughty

Kapak
Posted By: Chris Krawczyk

Re: My new big brakes - January 19, 2004 07:18 pm UTC

Just curious, how do you balance the braking power between front and back?

Re: My new big brakes - January 19, 2004 07:39 pm UTC

That's right, you know all about pad changes with those calipers don't you? wink

I've got the Porsche/Brembo pads in there. They had lots of meat left, so i just used them as is.

The rotors are not Porsche.

It's very difficult to tell how the brakes are biased on an AWD car with a limited slip center diff. Besides, the more front brake you get, the lighter you can get the back end, and the less you can even use rear brakes anyways. I'll find out when i getthe summer tires back on just how well it's balanced. I'll put in a proportioning valve if i have to, but i doubt i will.
Posted By: JOSE VEIGA

Re: My new big brakes - February 04, 2004 06:53 pm UTC

Nick did you end up selling the other setup you fabricated? Did you use the same rotors for this set up?

Re: My new big brakes - February 04, 2004 11:10 pm UTC

Actually, i got paid for that setup at lunch today.

If you wanted a set though, i've still got a second set of brackets.

Same rotors. I'm going to be putting some 12.2" two piece rotors in there soon though laugh

Re: My new big brakes - February 05, 2004 05:12 am UTC

I ended up getting paid by my friend so I didnt get the Vette calipers BUT, I just picked up a pair of 3000GT VR-4 four piston calipers with brackets. Dirt cheap too!!

Kind of dirty and they are bad pics but you get the idea. They will look sweet once cleaned, painted and letteres polished.

300GT VR-4 brakes 1

3000GT VR-4 brakes 2

Now I just need to find a caliper to use with them and find out if I need a bigger master.
© 2024 Club DSM Canada