Is this a good setup for drifting?

Posted By: John, Fiddy

Is this a good setup for drifting? - September 21, 2004 12:28 am UTC

Okay i have a 91 tsi AWD (push monster), and i hate the handling. On top of that i think there is a weird camber/toe system that moves around in the rear when i drive like a maniac(did some pilons in the parkin lot and rear end felt like it was steering it self.

this is what i thinking of doing

1. Biggest rear sway bar i can find (suggestions)
2. lowering springs+shocks, i have no idea what set would be good. or what spring rate, i would like a ajustable shocks but dont' wanna spend too much money
3. probly some 17s off a is300 with the stock brigstones...not sure wihc ones, but i do have them.

waht do you guys think?
and how do i get rid of that weird system in the rear, is that a good idea?
Posted By: Eric Gibeault

Re: Is this a good setup for drifting? - September 21, 2004 12:33 am UTC

You mean cornering not drifting...... you'll need lots of power to drift with an AWD
Posted By: Steven Usher

Re: Is this a good setup for drifting? - September 21, 2004 04:03 am UTC

I don't really think cheap and good handling go together that well. If you don't wanna spend much money you're probably not going to be getting adjustables, although the KYB AGX's aren't really that expensive. If you want to do it right, save up until you have all the money to buy the quality parts and then put them on.
Posted By: Tashko Sarakinov

Re: Is this a good setup for drifting? - September 24, 2004 02:16 am UTC

I think the basics you'll need are:

1. Camber kit that get's you at least -3deg front camber.

2. Camber kit to get 0deg camber in the rear end after you've lowered it (stock adj. isn't enough)

3 STIFF rear-end. As you said, big sway bar, run higher tire pressure (or low for roll-over and more control). Think of the tire as another spring. High pressure=higher spring rate.

4. Max your boost (14psi on a stock car). hmmm, if you don't run the rear LSD it would require less power to break the rear end loose I believe...

I think you are looking at ~$1600+ for the set-up. Sorry I don't know company names to give you.
Don't bother trying to change the rear re-active toe. It's not easy to do from what I recall (fab'ing up custom parts!).

never seen a DSM drift car before...
Posted By: Nick Boers

Re: Is this a good setup for drifting? - September 24, 2004 04:32 am UTC

John, i'm making a set of camber plates and control arms for my car soon. I'll make a set for you too. lemme know.
Posted By: Chris Clark

Re: Is this a good setup for drifting? - September 24, 2004 05:26 am UTC

I would be interested in camber plates smile and those adjustable rear control arms you mentioned in a different thread.
© 2024 Club DSM Canada