How to quiet down a straight pipe exhaust

Posted By: Jonathan Paquin

How to quiet down a straight pipe exhaust - April 11, 2013 03:04 am UTC

so i recently changed my exhaust to a 3 inch straight pipe with no resonators with a tanabe muffler. the car isnt too loud when driving on regular roads but the moment i jump on the highway and hold between 100-120 km/h it gets very loud continuously.

any of you have experience with a muffler or a way to quiet things down?
Posted By: Bryan Lawrence

Re: How to quiet down a straight pipe exhaust - April 11, 2013 03:09 am UTC

you can try a silencer
Posted By: Johnny Larmond

Re: How to quiet down a straight pipe exhaust - April 11, 2013 04:44 am UTC

Put a kink in it! HA!
A decent muffler would do the trick, a resonator, or a silencer.
Posted By: Jay Stacey

Re: How to quiet down a straight pipe exhaust - April 11, 2013 08:19 am UTC

When you cars exhaust becomes too loud... then its easily fixed.. yoi just turn off your old man hearing aids!

Take a ride in any high end supecar.. I followed a diarglo on the 401 one day and I couldnr hear my own truck over it. Speed = loud.
Posted By: Bryan Lawrence

Re: How to quiet down a straight pipe exhaust - April 11, 2013 12:11 pm UTC

Yeah your other option if you don't want to deal with changing the exhaust is you can add some sound deadening to the cabin.
Posted By: Kirk Harding

Re: How to quiet down a straight pipe exhaust - April 12, 2013 06:43 pm UTC

I had nothing on my side exit, i added a resonator which removed some of the drone. but i will be adding a muffler at some point because it is still too loud.
Posted By: Mike Eng

Re: How to quiet down a straight pipe exhaust - April 12, 2013 06:45 pm UTC

Plumb a CAT or resonator..flange them so that you can remove or install it for track days and etests.
Posted By: Jason Drew

Re: How to quiet down a straight pipe exhaust - April 12, 2013 09:28 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Mike Eng
Plumb a CAT or resonator..flange them so that you can remove or install it for track days and etests.

Exactly what I did, I found the Thermal R&D exhaust drone gave me a headache on long drives, I welded in a high flow cat and it was much more bearable.
Posted By: Anthony Hiscock

Re: How to quiet down a straight pipe exhaust - May 11, 2013 12:01 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Jay Stacey
When you cars exhaust becomes too loud... then its easily fixed.. yoi just turn off your old man hearing aids!

Take a ride in any high end supecar.. I followed a diarglo on the 401 one day and I couldnr hear my own truck over it. Speed = loud.

Not just old people have hearing ads wink

A resonator or 2 will quiet things down. If you don't have a cat then install one as that will quiet things down a bit too.
Posted By: Stephan Tanchak

Re: How to quiet down a straight pipe exhaust - May 11, 2013 06:35 pm UTC

Speed = loud.

^^

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_8psojafbg

Re: How to quiet down a straight pipe exhaust - May 11, 2013 07:42 pm UTC

Well not quite what I meant.. But in a much faster scale.
Posted By: Daren Peacock

Re: How to quiet down a straight pipe exhaust - May 16, 2013 08:52 pm UTC

Because an old POS DSM is definitely a high end super car bird

If your not running a cat, installing one will definitely help (high flow or metal core). Alot of the time the drone can be removed by using one or two resonators. IF thats still too loud for you, last option would be to get a quiter muffler. You typically don't want one with baffles on a turbo car, so with the straight through type, the larger the cannister, typically the quiter it will be as their able to fit more sound deadening material.

I run 3" DP back, metal core cat, 2 vibrant resonators & vibrant muffler. Under acceleration its abit louder (not as quiet as the family sedan but there are louder vehicles out there) but I don't have any problems with drone.

Re: How to quiet down a straight pipe exhaust - May 16, 2013 09:03 pm UTC

Its my super car! My budgetti Veyron!

I love coasting thru front street in belleville at 530am.. no traffic.. no people.. just me and my drooooooooooooooooooooooone. pshhhhh! echoing off the buildings! as the sun comes up! I dont even have a working stereo.
Posted By: Mike Eng

Re: How to quiet down a straight pipe exhaust - May 16, 2013 09:34 pm UTC

I dont even have a working stereo.

I can picture you singing to yourself...

"the wheels on the dsm go round and round...."

rotflmao
Posted By: Lucian Marta

Re: How to quiet down a straight pipe exhaust - May 20, 2013 08:10 am UTC

Originally Posted by Jonathan Paquin
so i recently changed my exhaust to a 3 inch straight pipe with no resonators with a tanabe muffler.

That's not straight pipe son!
© 2024 Club DSM Canada