Starter change out

Posted By: Blayne Byrne

Starter change out - August 21, 2011 03:37 pm UTC

Just curious how big of a job it is to change the starter on a 2G? What is the best way to get at it...from the top or the bottom. I dont have alot of free time right now but it needs to be changed. What do shops usually charge?
Posted By: Kyle Guba

Re: Starter change out - August 21, 2011 03:46 pm UTC

Assuming its the same as a 1g, cant see it being much different.. 1/2 hour max

Re: Starter change out - August 21, 2011 03:46 pm UTC

Just found some sights that explain it. I was just worried that there would be no room at all. Actually looks fairly easy!
Posted By: Tyler Minshall

Re: Starter change out - August 21, 2011 05:55 pm UTC

It's 2 bolts(14mm), one clip for the starter solenoid and one nut for the positive lead(12mm).

Just grab it from the top. I usually kind of lay down on the engine. Have all your tools at the bottom the windshield. Make sure when you put it back in the starter ground wire gets reinstalled.
Posted By: EK

Re: Starter change out - August 21, 2011 06:01 pm UTC

It is a very easy job to do. Just as Tyler said, 2x 14mm. When i pull my starter out, I take the battery out, and usually the top little bit of intercooler pipes. It's simple enough. Then just go at it from that direction.
Posted By: Tim Sciocchetti

Re: Starter change out - August 21, 2011 06:13 pm UTC

Im about to tackle the same job... Do you know if a starter from a 7bolt 1g awd will fit my 2g awd?
Posted By: Tyler Minshall

Re: Starter change out - August 21, 2011 06:31 pm UTC

According to the RTM site the 90-96 starters are the same. 97-99 are different. I think they are also the same shape tho. The newer ones are a stronger motor i believe thats why it's a different part number. I am pretty sure the only differences are FWD/AWD & 5Speed/AUTO.
Posted By: Tim Sciocchetti

Re: Starter change out - August 21, 2011 07:00 pm UTC

Thanks man

Re: Starter change out - August 22, 2011 03:15 pm UTC

Awesome, thanks guys!!
Posted By: Ian Burnside

Re: Starter change out - August 22, 2011 10:51 pm UTC

You dont own a talon anymore, make the other guy do it?
Posted By: miguel barros

Re: Starter change out - August 22, 2011 11:32 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Ian Burnside
You dont own a talon anymore, make the other guy do it?

Blayne doesn't own a talon anymore or am I missing something?
Posted By: Jason Drew

Re: Starter change out - August 24, 2011 01:51 am UTC

FWD/AWD 5 speed are the same, whether they have different part numbers are not, its the bell housing on the trans that is different. I swapped my car to awd and reused the FWD starter, even though I was told by several people that they were different and it would not work ponder
Posted By: Paul Bratina

Re: Starter change out - August 24, 2011 03:44 pm UTC

Just to add to the above post, it's my understanding that the starters are all interchangable for any DSM even though the part no's may be different. The bellhousing DO differ for different models and the starter plates DO differ but pretty much any starter can be used on any model. I heard somewhere that with some oddball combinations (tranny, engine, starter) there can sometimes be interference issues with the body of the starter/solenoid.
Posted By: Rob Strelecki

Re: Starter change out - August 24, 2011 03:52 pm UTC

Yeah I think they are all interchangeable too, except maybe auto? Or maybe nobody tried it / shared the info.
Posted By: Mike Kuttschrutter

Re: Starter change out - August 24, 2011 04:07 pm UTC

Auto's do not work I know from experience.
Posted By: Paul Bratina

Re: Starter change out - August 24, 2011 08:02 pm UTC

Auto's do not work I know from experience.
Which way? Auto starter with M/T tranny or M/T starter with an auto?
Posted By: Mike Kuttschrutter

Re: Starter change out - August 24, 2011 08:25 pm UTC

auto starter in a MT tranny.
The part that inserts into the bellhousing is shorter on the auto starter and the shaft does not reach far enough to engage the flywheel.

I am unsure if the longer MT one will work with the auto one. If it does, I'm sure it is not contacting the torque converter teeth like it should be.
Posted By: Robert Clare

Re: Starter change out - August 24, 2011 08:44 pm UTC

starter engages the flexplate ring gear, not the torque converter...

Re: Starter change out - August 25, 2011 12:21 am UTC

Got it changed out. Took about an hour. I undid the mount bolts and then undid the power wire once I had it out near the battery. Took the battery and intake pipe off. That made it alot easier. The job went a lot better than I thought it was going to.
Posted By: Jason Drew

Re: Starter change out - August 25, 2011 04:21 am UTC

It's even easier if you've done a battery relocation laugh

Re: Starter change out - August 26, 2011 01:21 am UTC

Originally Posted by Jason Drew
It's even easier if you've done a battery relocation laugh

Ya for sure. Well, did the starter in the Talon, and now as my luck would have it the starter in my 97 Audi A4 just took a dump. This will be harder to change than the Talon....not looking forward to it!
© 2024 Club DSM Canada