Galant 5th gear?

Posted By: mike leclerc

Galant 5th gear? - May 14, 2006 01:04 am UTC

So I am hearing that the galant 5th gear is longer than the talon. I wouldn't mind saving some gas since I am opening up the tranny anyways.

Does anyone know the year, or have a VIN from one, or the part #? Or know the vehicle code in caps?

Thanks

Re: Galant 5th gear? - May 14, 2006 01:18 am UTC

I searched CAPS and came up with this for the galant 4WD 4WS 5th gear. MD730296

Can anyone confirm it is the longer gear?
Posted By: Chris Clark

Re: Galant 5th gear? - May 14, 2006 01:48 am UTC

I cant confirm that, but you need both gears for it to work. Input and output.
Posted By: Mario Germain

Re: Galant 5th gear? - May 14, 2006 02:36 am UTC

Pretty sure that the Galant VR-4 5th gear is the same as the DSM.

The GVR-4 1st gear is longer though...

EDIT: BTW, TRE is offering the taller 5th gear upgrade on thier FWD tranny but not the AWD. Hmm, you can probably e-mail them to be sure.
Posted By: Tim Hunt

Re: Galant 5th gear? - May 14, 2006 03:19 am UTC

There is the ability for a taller 5th as listed on the TRE page, but I don't think it is as simple as putting in a different gear. As I recall there is machining of the shift rail etc that is required to get it to work.
Hopefully Paul S will chime in here as he is the only person with the option tha I know of.

Re: Galant 5th gear? - May 14, 2006 03:22 am UTC

Whatever work needs to be done, I can do, but i need to have the parts by friday. Or it's going back together as is.

Re: Galant 5th gear? - May 14, 2006 03:35 am UTC

The Evo III is the taller 5th. Its a direct fit. Just gotta find them is the problem.
Posted By: Nick Boers

Re: Galant 5th gear? - May 14, 2006 03:53 am UTC

Some of the JDM galant VR4 trannies have a taller 5th gear, but it's only by a tooth or two. I have one in mine, and it does make some difference in the RPM at a given speed, but now a lot.

Re: Galant 5th gear? - May 14, 2006 02:03 pm UTC

Hey chris...

What do you mean you can put the gear in with the trans in the car? Do you have a teleporter? Are none of the bearings pressfit?
Posted By: Ghislain Goudreau

Re: Galant 5th gear? - May 14, 2006 02:19 pm UTC

5th Gear can be replaced with the Tranny in the Car. All you hvae to do is to pull the end Cover, remove the two Nuts, pop the Shift Fork out and you are ready to pull the 5th Gears off. All you need is a small Gear puller or a good size comon screwdriver.

I have tried to get some of these 5th EVO3 Gears in a few places outside of canada. All were out and would not restock. One dealer told me that he could do a special order from Japan but that it would of been costly.

Let me know if you find a source because I would defenately get a set of these.

Re: Galant 5th gear? - May 14, 2006 06:47 pm UTC

http://www.vfaq.com/mods/Trannyrebuild.html

Follow the steps there, you dont have to bother removing the VC, just to replace 5th. The gears are not a press fit onto the shaft, The syncroniser assemblies are.

Re: Galant 5th gear? - May 14, 2006 11:12 pm UTC

I have to fix my 1st gear anyways, so the tranny has to come out, but thanks for the info. I will post if I can find the 5th gear.
© 2024 Club DSM Canada