Hey guys, new here, & need some advice

Posted By: Anonymous

Hey guys, new here, & need some advice - December 24, 2004 07:26 pm UTC

Hey to all.
I'm in need of some advice from all you N/T guys.
I just bought a '93 laser RS N/T, with 210K and a blown head gasket. This is my first car and wanting to fix it up. I have a line on a 600$ replacment motor ('90 4g63), new pullies, tensoirs belts. real clean motor. Im wondering if it would be smarter to swap the motors with a few buddies or try to fix and replace the head gasket on this current motor. I know if I do fix this motor I might aswell do the pullies and belts too. Anyhelp would be aprecaited. First time working on this type engine and don't wanna get to far over my head either with the DOHC. I'm jsut looking for the cheapest and smartest route to go.
Thanks in advance.
Kyle
Posted By: Chris Clark

Re: Hey guys, new here, & need some advice - December 24, 2004 10:46 pm UTC

If you do do that swap, you would want to swap your 93 throttle body and CAS onto the 90 engine. There is some wiring differences in 90 "bastard" year.
Posted By: Ghislain Goudreau

Re: Hey guys, new here, & need some advice - December 25, 2004 02:25 am UTC

Hello Kyle.

Welcome to the Club.

I'd replace the Head Gasket instead of replacing the Engine.

You should be able to do it in a few evening (taking it easy).

A good word of advice would be to bring the Head in a Shop to do a Valve Job and to resurface the Head while you are at it. Also ask them to have a look at the Valve Guides and make sure you replace the Valve Seals.

Hope this helps.

Ghislain.

Re: Hey guys, new here, & need some advice - December 27, 2004 05:25 am UTC

Thanks guys for the replies. I have decided I am going to take the head off myself. I got a few mechanical type buddies that will be accomining me. I will be carful with the cams, mark them off, and even zip time them together, so they dont move. I am gonna replace all the belts, and water pump(leaky) and then go from there. I will update you guys, and most likely post up if I run into some troubles. Thanks guys. TTYL

PS Here's a pick of the "Red Rocket"
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Dean Boyle

Re: Hey guys, new here, & need some advice - December 27, 2004 06:49 am UTC

If your gonna replace the motor, replace it with a turbo.

Re: Hey guys, new here, & need some advice - December 28, 2004 05:55 pm UTC

Originally posted by Dean Boyle:
If your gonna replace the motor, replace it with a turbo.
lol, I like your thinking! I was even thinking do the head gasket on this. Buy this other motor anyway, work on it, soup it up, turbo it and then drop it in the following year or something! :>
Posted By: Tim Brown

Re: Hey guys, new here, & need some advice - January 01, 2005 08:56 am UTC

Don't turbo that other motor buy a turbo motor it has the right pistons for the job... Turboing a motor never designed for boost is like wondering why you got aids from screw a hooker with out a rubber... (Lot of fun at forst followed by a whole bunch of pain later)
Posted By: Adam Grenon

Re: Hey guys, new here, & need some advice - January 04, 2005 05:15 pm UTC

Kyle, I was in the same posistion as you and had a Turbo motor from a 90 dropped into my 92. So far its working great. I just got to beef up the suspension and do some mods for some serious power.

Theres plenty of resources for this, check the sticky thread in this froum section.

Otherwise good luck, even the n/t's are fun cars, they just dont throw you back in your seat like the turbo cars do.
Posted By: Adam Grenon

Re: Hey guys, new here, & need some advice - January 04, 2005 05:16 pm UTC

Oh and nice clean laser, I like it.
Posted By: Tony Vaz

Re: Hey guys, new here, & need some advice - January 06, 2005 02:30 am UTC

$100 waterpump
$100 timing belt and balanceshaft belt
$150 for the tensioner
$100? for pullies
$$$? for possible head work

HMMM...i think i would go with the other engine, just make sure it has good compression.
Posted By: steve muscedere

Re: Hey guys, new here, & need some advice - January 13, 2005 06:55 am UTC

tony those prices are insane, i can get all those parts for literally half that.
Posted By: Rob Strelecki

Re: Hey guys, new here, & need some advice - January 13, 2005 04:53 pm UTC

^^^
Brand new genuine Mitsubishi parts, taxes included?
© 2024 Club DSM Canada