portable satellite radio units

Posted By: Dan Sarkar

portable satellite radio units - April 13, 2006 06:22 pm UTC

Thinking about getting one of those portable units that can be used in the car/home for satellite radio.

does anyone have any recommendations?
I don't want to replace my car head unit with a XM/Sirius ready deck, because, well, I don't wanna.
It was enough of a hassle just installing my existing deck.

The portable units by Delphi/Audivox look cool, and seem to work.

Anyone have one?
Posted By: Noah Wiles

Re: portable satellite radio units - April 13, 2006 08:19 pm UTC

I've got the XM Delphi Roady XT and I'm very happy. You won't regret it.
Posted By: Tommy Priest

Re: portable satellite radio units - April 13, 2006 11:53 pm UTC

Sirius is the way to go (sorry Noah). I've had it for over a year and I've loved every second and it's worth every penny.

I have the Blaupunkt America SR04 but they no longer make it. I'm not sure why, it's been a solid receiver.

If you do get Sirius, do yourself a favour and get an American one. You get more channels.

Re: portable satellite radio units - April 14, 2006 12:24 am UTC

No offence taken, I'm a sports lover and it was a no brainer for me.

Re: portable satellite radio units - April 14, 2006 12:29 am UTC

I am comparing features of these portable units, and the Sirius "sportster" unit lets you pause live music, as well as some other cool features.

I wonder if the program line up is any better on one or the other.

Thoughts?

Re: portable satellite radio units - April 14, 2006 12:32 am UTC

I looked at the pausing and recordable features and I just couldn't see the point. Sure it's nice when there's a good song playing and you need to hop out of the car for a bit, but is it really that big of a deal?
Posted By: Nate Fullerton

Re: portable satellite radio units - April 14, 2006 04:01 pm UTC

I have the same one that Noah has and it rules.

Pioneer has a brand new one out for XM and if you have the coin its amazing! MP3 player as well as XM recorder/player. Something like 50hrs recordable shocked sick

Re: portable satellite radio units - April 14, 2006 04:05 pm UTC

Originally posted by Noah Wiles:
I looked at the pausing and recordable features and I just couldn't see the point. Sure it's nice when there's a good song playing and you need to hop out of the car for a bit, but is it really that big of a deal?
Thats Feature is handy is Stern is having a good skit going on and you have to go into the office.

But consitoring they replay that all day long, it wouldn't bother me. Neat Feature though.
Posted By: Tommy Priest

Re: portable satellite radio units - April 14, 2006 04:47 pm UTC

No offence taken, I'm a sports lover and it was a no brainer for me.
XM does have good sports coverage for sure. For more I was more looking for good music and Sirius has a better rock based selection than XM.

Talk channels are great too: Stern, Maxim, Playboy, etc.

Re: portable satellite radio units - April 14, 2006 05:13 pm UTC

Originally posted by Tommy Priest:
[b] No offence taken, I'm a sports lover and it was a no brainer for me.
XM does have good sports coverage for sure. For more I was more looking for good music and Sirius has a better rock based selection than XM.

[/b]
I'm not so sure about the rock channels Tommy, I like the ones that are on my XM, and the Unsigned Channel rules for new music.

Re: portable satellite radio units - April 14, 2006 10:33 pm UTC

Pioneer has a brand new one out for XM and if you have the coin its amazing! MP3 player as well as XM recorder/player. Something like 50hrs recordable [Embarrassed] sick
Righteous!
do you know the model number of that?
A guy at work has the new Delphi XT, and it's pretyy slick, but MP3 playback would so rule.

Re: portable satellite radio units - April 14, 2006 10:40 pm UTC

I take it this is it:
[Linked Image]

wow! only $399USD! for that price, I'd better just get 2. wink

yikes.
Posted By: Paul Kolbuc

Re: portable satellite radio units - April 15, 2006 03:43 am UTC

If you're not easily offended, get an XM, and check out channel 202.

Opie & Anthony. laugh

Re: portable satellite radio units - April 15, 2006 02:09 pm UTC

Originally posted by Dan Sarkar:
I take it this is it:
[Linked Image]

wow! only $399USD! for that price, I'd better just get 2. wink

yikes.
That is the one, and I can't see the price staying that high for long. The way I look at it is your getting an Ipod like mp3 players and satellite radio...best of both worlds...
Pimp'in ain't easy or Cheap... tongue
Posted By: Colin Shainline

Re: portable satellite radio units - April 16, 2006 10:08 pm UTC

I've got the one from the commercials and on XMs home page. You cant beat it. Fm transmitter, works on your belt, records 5 hours. Comes with a magnetic antenna for the roof of your car too. Its the best stereo upgrade I've done, and I can use it in multiple cars or while at work on my belt.
Posted By: Kevin Jenkins

Re: portable satellite radio units - April 18, 2006 10:40 pm UTC

I've got xm and I love it. Lots of variety to choose from. You can program it to notify you if a song or artist you like comes on too..pretty sweet. My deck isn't xm ready so there's a downside with wires and stuff but if you're going portable that wouldn't matter. There's always a good signal and the sound is nice and clear even 3 hours north of toronto. I've never used a sirius one so I can't comment on them but xm's been treating me quite well.
© 2024 Club DSM Canada