Roll to Start

Posted By: Will Belancic

Roll to Start - August 18, 2009 12:40 pm UTC

In the past few days, I had to roll the car a bit for me to start it (either forwards/backwards).

After the little roll it would start up.

Any ideas what would cause this?
Posted By: Rob Strelecki

Re: Roll to Start - August 18, 2009 04:41 pm UTC

That's very strange.
Maybe the starter is on its way out and it gets un-stuck from just a little movement.

Exactly what happens when you turn the key?

Re: Roll to Start - August 18, 2009 05:29 pm UTC

Insert key, turn key, all gauge lights come on, and the fuel pump is heard...and nothing.

Tried this several times and nothing...until I roll the car either forwards/backwards.

I was thinking starter...but wanted a 2nd opinion.

Re: Roll to Start - August 18, 2009 05:33 pm UTC

If it's not even making a click, maybe it's the starter solenoid or some wiring and not the starter istelf.

Re: Roll to Start - August 18, 2009 05:36 pm UTC

Only sound that is heard is the Walbro fuel pump...nothing else.

I can say that my left leg is getting stronger then my right...with all the pushing!!!!

Re: Roll to Start - August 18, 2009 05:41 pm UTC

Might as well unplug the clutch safety interlock then - at least that would take it out of the equation and you won't end up walking funny smile
It's the white connector up behind the clutch pedal.

Re: Roll to Start - August 18, 2009 05:51 pm UTC

Oh...forgot...I unplugged that years ago. I have been starting the car for a while now without engaging the clutch.
Posted By: Ryan Laliberte

Re: Roll to Start - August 19, 2009 03:08 am UTC

If you have to roll it, good chance it's your starter on the way out. There aren't any "Sensors" in a manual tranny besides the backup light sensor to tell the starter solenoid whether or not to engage, but only the safety switch on the clutch pedal.

May as well pull it out! It's 2 bolts after removing your battery.

Re: Roll to Start - August 19, 2009 03:13 pm UTC

Thank you gentlemen...Friday will be a day off and I will install it then. Providing the weather is good.

Will post an update with this.

Thanks again.
Posted By: Mike Kuttschrutter

Re: Roll to Start - August 19, 2009 03:21 pm UTC

When the car doesnt turn over.
Apply 12v to the starters solenoid trigger spade. If it makes no noise, or doesnt turn over then your solenoid is on its way out, or has a grounding issue.

If that works and you jump back in the car and it still doesnt crank. Then its something in the wiring between your ignition switch to the starter.

Re: Roll to Start - August 19, 2009 03:26 pm UTC

Good tip...I will check this out.
Thanks.

Re: Roll to Start - September 12, 2009 03:39 am UTC

Another Update Post:

It's been less then a month since I installed the "newly rebuilt" starter and guess what?
I am getting the same symptoms!!!

Re: Roll to Start - September 12, 2009 04:57 am UTC

Do you push on the steering wheel while you roll the car?
Maybe something in the ignition is broken and pushing on the steering column helps.

You should try to "jump" the starter like Mike suggested, if you haven't already. Then you'll know what side of the firewall to dig into.

Re: Roll to Start - September 12, 2009 01:48 pm UTC

I don't move the steering wheel at all.

If I am parked in my drive way...it has a downward slop...I turn the ignition to the on, roll down in 2nd gear and pop the clutch while turning the ignition for contact.
It starts every time like this.

I haven't tried to jump the starter like Mike said. Maybe later this afternoon/evening.

(been super busy with getting married in 2 weeks and building a house)
Posted By: Chris Poe

Re: Roll to Start - September 13, 2009 12:13 am UTC

I have the same problem. Try turning the key multiple times quickly.. Mine clicks 5-10 times and then starts right up. Been like this for 2 years. Let me know if you figure it out.

I also installed a "new" rebuilt starter, alternator and battery, checked cables, tried new ground cable.. same thing. It's worse when it's warm.. recently it has been doing it much less because of the colder weather.

You don't even heard a click though? I hear a click.. Does yours do it every time? I'm pretty sure mine does it when the engine stops in the compression cycle and it has trouble getting through it..
Posted By: Mitchell Dronfield

Re: Roll to Start - September 13, 2009 07:49 pm UTC

Ive similar issues with other vehicles. Id say check your connections, harnesses don't like when there is humidity in the air and they get all corroded wink

As well, check connections if they are exposed at the starter they will get all corroded and then when you have a dew in the air it doesnt let the starter work properly and won't turn.

Re: Roll to Start - September 14, 2009 12:23 pm UTC

Power comes on, but no click.

What I did notice...when I come to a stop say a parking spot and shut the car off and come back I get nothing.
I then roll the car back or forward pop the clutch & 2nd gear and away I go.

But when I shut the car off and roll into a parking spot...and come back to start it, it works every time.

I have been doing the rolling shut off for last week and it has not failed. (not yet, anyways...lol)

I have another new/rebuilt starting going in tomorrow. I made sure that the connections were clean/true. Did not notice anything with the harness.

My guess its just the starter.

Re: Roll to Start - September 22, 2009 11:52 pm UTC

Another Update:

Replaced the starter yet again with another rebuilt. This time the guy claims its good.

Sure enough...it WORKS.

I dropped off the other "bad" starter and have to find out what was wrong with it.

In the end it was the starter.
© 2024 Club DSM Canada