Winter Project

Posted By: Jason Drew

Winter Project - November 02, 2012 01:42 pm UTC

I put the car officially into storage on the 31st, so now the winter project begins.

I've been planning to wire tuck for a couple years, but something else always came up. I think this is the first year I put it away with absolutely nothing to fix on it, so now is the time.

I'm sure I'll find some other things to clean up as well, more powder coating for sure.

Started by tagging all the connectors:

[Linked Image]

Then stripping back some of the sheathing:

[Linked Image]

Seperating everything:

[Linked Image]

And as it sits right now.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Nick Gallo

Re: Winter Project - November 02, 2012 01:46 pm UTC

Where are you relocating your fusebox to?

Re: Winter Project - November 02, 2012 03:24 pm UTC

It's right under the air filter, I'll be opening it up under there so it'll be accessible by removing the filter.
Posted By: Mike Degli Angeli

Re: Winter Project - November 06, 2012 01:38 pm UTC

What sheathing are you going to use to loom all the wires?

Re: Winter Project - November 06, 2012 02:47 pm UTC

I'm using polyester wrap around sleeving, no need to remove the connectors, flame and heat resistant. I'll probably throw a black zip tie on here and there to make sure it keeps closed.

Looks like this:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Jay Stacey

Re: Winter Project - November 06, 2012 05:34 pm UTC

nice.. where do you get the wrap? canadian tire?

Re: Winter Project - November 06, 2012 07:10 pm UTC

mcmaster-carr
Posted By: Mike Lane

Re: Winter Project - November 06, 2012 07:16 pm UTC

This is a good inspiration for me! I have already gutted my interior, Dash, seats, console, carpet, headliner, sunroof and all. I m starting by moving the battery to the trunk and cleaning up unused and unnecessary wires (antenna, CD changer, ect). I was contemplating relocating the fusebox. Maybe I ll put mine where the battery used to be. Looking good, keep the pics coming.

Re: Winter Project - November 06, 2012 07:23 pm UTC

thanks!

I'm going to go ahead with the upgrade to V3 and switch over to
speed density, that'll take care of that ugly maf and I'll make a nice 4" intake.

Re: Winter Project - November 06, 2012 08:01 pm UTC

Here's the stuff i plan to use and have used it the past.

http://www.techflex.com/catalogpages/FlexoWrapFR.pdf
Posted By: Salomon Ponte

Re: Winter Project - November 06, 2012 08:13 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Mike Degli Angeli
Here's the stuff i plan to use and have used it the past.

http://www.techflex.com/catalogpages/FlexoWrapFR.pdf

Looks good. I assume the nominal size is the closed diameter of it?

Re: Winter Project - November 06, 2012 09:47 pm UTC

Ya I've looked at that stuff too. I may order both and see what I like best.

Re: Winter Project - November 06, 2012 09:55 pm UTC

Or we can go broke buying Raychem..lol
Posted By: Anthony Hiscock

Re: Winter Project - November 06, 2012 11:27 pm UTC

Jason, I highly suggest using heat shrink, specifically the adhesive lined kind to terminate the ends of the sleeving.
It will look a lot nicer.

Re: Winter Project - November 07, 2012 12:34 am UTC

Originally Posted by Anthony Hiscock
Jason, I highly suggest using heat shrink, specifically the adhesive lined kind to terminate the ends of the sleeving.
It will look a lot nicer.

You mean like how I did my map sensor wink

[Linked Image]

Plugs in directly to the MDP socket, no wire splicing needed. (tape was only on the connector temporarily until the silicone cured)

Re: Winter Project - November 07, 2012 12:44 am UTC

Yup, just like that!
Looks good man.

After using the adhesive lined stuff I never go back to the old stuff.
Posted By: Jason Weir

Re: Winter Project - November 07, 2012 12:10 pm UTC

Yeah the adhesive stuff is gold when your shrink wrapping stuff.
you know its going to be sealed and protected once the goo starts to flow

Re: Winter Project - November 07, 2012 01:17 pm UTC

Is this stuff you guys are talking about different than regular heat shrink? Someone care to post a link?

Re: Winter Project - November 07, 2012 01:52 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Salomon Ponte
Is this stuff you guys are talking about different than regular heat shrink? Someone care to post a link?

It has a sealant on the inside that melts when you heat it to shrink it which seals the cable off, or in this case holds it in place.
Posted By: Stephen Richardson

Re: Winter Project - November 08, 2012 12:56 am UTC

It's a thermoplastic they line the walls of the tube with. Very Readily availiable at any parts store. It used to be almost triple the price of regular stuff, but I havent paid for it for many years

Re: Winter Project - November 08, 2012 03:07 am UTC

Hmm...what would I find it called? I only ever see the regular heatshrink at the stores.

Re: Winter Project - November 08, 2012 03:33 am UTC

adhesive backed heat shrink tubing. We get it from ATS( I think) Sorry when i say parts store I don't mean CTC or parts source. I will double check with are parts guy tomorrow for you Salomon.

Re: Winter Project - November 08, 2012 04:45 am UTC

Originally Posted by Stephen Richardson
adhesive backed heat shrink tubing. We get it from ATS( I think) Sorry when i say parts store I don't mean CTC or parts source. I will double check with are parts guy tomorrow for you Salomon.

Awesome...thanks! I may do some wire tucking over the winter, so it'll be nice to have this stuff.

Re: Winter Project - November 09, 2012 12:56 am UTC

Salomon. We buy it in bulk from a supplier called Wurth. They come in 2 foot lengths. We used to get from ATS but the price is better from Wurth. My parts guy said he thinks Napa also carries it but the come in 3 inch sections and are more expensive.

If you want tell me what size you want and i can order it.
Posted By: Mike Eng

Re: Winter Project - November 09, 2012 03:32 am UTC

we also use wurth wink

Re: Winter Project - November 12, 2012 09:55 pm UTC

Check an electronics retailer like Sayal Electronics.
That's where I got it from when I lived in ON.

Re: Winter Project - November 14, 2012 01:57 am UTC

Bunch of goodies showed up today smile

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - February 11, 2013 08:10 pm UTC

I'm really temped to hit up that FP Green XL/FP mani for $1399 right now, that is a hell of a deal I think.
Posted By: Kyle Guba

Re: Winter Project - February 11, 2013 08:54 pm UTC

They must have just raised the price, the XL was 999.00 not long ago.
I was stuck between that green xl and the 71hta, and i went with the 71hta. They were the same price at the time.
Posted By: Alex Akachinskiy

Re: Winter Project - February 11, 2013 09:17 pm UTC

extremepsi ?
Posted By: Ziggy Dietrich

Re: Winter Project - February 11, 2013 09:18 pm UTC

It seems like turbo prices are heading back to where they were 10 years ago, maybe higher. Makes the chinese knockoffs seem pretty attractive...

Re: Winter Project - February 11, 2013 09:39 pm UTC

No, direct from FP. The $999 was a sale that FP had on.

Normally the XL is $1349, externally gated, so internally gated and with the FP manifold is a pretty decent deal.

http://store.forcedperformance.net/...roduct_Code=DSMSpecial&Category_Code

Re: Winter Project - February 11, 2013 10:16 pm UTC

Ya, except that not long ago turbos not much smaller than that (the EVO III) were selling for $499.USD, and the FP manifold often comes on sale for $175. shipped...so it is still DOUBLE what it cost about a year or so ago...
Posted By: Terry S

Re: Winter Project - February 11, 2013 10:21 pm UTC

Super happy I bought my E316g when Mitsu made another big batch, I believe I scored mine for around $750 with tax a few years back and I grabbed a HAFE manifold for a steal (SB was getting rid of discontinued stock I think).

Thanks RTM!

Re: Winter Project - February 11, 2013 10:26 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Terry Sikora
Super happy I bought my E316g when Mitsu made another big batch, I believe I scored mine for around $750 with tax a few years back and I grabbed a HAFE manifold for a steal (SB was getting rid of discontinued stock I think).

Thanks RTM!

Got my E316G also from RTM for around the same price grin

Re: Winter Project - February 12, 2013 12:28 am UTC

E316g cannot push 59lbs/min, compare it to another turbo in that flow range and see how the price stacks up.

Re: Winter Project - February 12, 2013 12:48 am UTC

Even the 68HTA that they are currently selling for $1300. only cost about $800. a year or so ago. FP is just driving up the pricing of turbos like crazy.

Re: Winter Project - February 12, 2013 12:51 am UTC

Originally Posted by Jason Drew
E316g cannot push 59lbs/min, compare it to another turbo in that flow range and see how the price stacks up.

true,

Just looked at my log. My 16G did 41.5 lbs/min at 6300rpm 22.5 psi. 59lbs must feel really nice eh

Re: Winter Project - February 12, 2013 01:01 am UTC

Yes. Yes it does.

Re: Winter Project - February 12, 2013 01:05 am UTC

If I were you Jason id wait for around Christmas when they have year end pricing, seems to be the time to buy...

Re: Winter Project - February 12, 2013 02:55 am UTC

I can't go another whole summer maxing out my 20g at 45-47lbs!

Anyone interested in a nice 20g setup with Holset 17psi wastegate? It's all powder coated nice and pretty too tongue

Re: Winter Project - February 12, 2013 02:59 am UTC

Lol!

Re: Winter Project - March 11, 2013 02:47 am UTC

Made my coil pack relocation bracket today, pretty happy with the results.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Johnny Larmond

Re: Winter Project - March 11, 2013 03:12 am UTC

I too am happy with your results! lol
Posted By: Bryan Lawrence

Re: Winter Project - March 11, 2013 03:49 am UTC

Genius, I definitely like that!!

Re: Winter Project - March 11, 2013 03:46 pm UTC

Looks good Jason. Do you have to extend ECU wiring for this to work? Could this new location cause more water/moisture deposits? Possibly corroding that connector

Re: Winter Project - March 11, 2013 03:59 pm UTC

My wiring harness is currently all taken apart for a wire tuck and the wiring for the coil is definitely long enough. All of the oem connectors are sealed as far as I'm aware. It's a summer car anyway, I can't foresee any issues.

Re: Winter Project - March 11, 2013 04:12 pm UTC

My wiring harness is currently all taken apart for a wire tuck and the wiring for the coil is definitely long enough. All of the oem connectors are sealed as far as I'm aware. It's a summer car anyway, I can't foresee any issues.

I had issue with this type of connector for HID leveling sensor in RX8. Overtime water found its way in through the holes were wires fed through and corroded connector on the inside. Adding some type of sealant there is probably a good idea. Just my 0.02 cents.

BTW, do you have access to your own powder paint equipment? smile

Re: Winter Project - March 11, 2013 04:41 pm UTC

I ran the harness under the manifold to the stock location of the coils and had lots of extra.

Re: Winter Project - March 11, 2013 06:10 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Alex Akachinskiy

BTW, do you have access to your own powder paint equipment? smile

Being behind the motor, fairly high up, I don't foresee a problem, some dielectric grease would probably make it 100% worry free.

And yes, I do powder coating.

Re: Winter Project - March 11, 2013 06:34 pm UTC

some dielectric grease would probably make it 100% worry free.

Yah that would do it.

And yes, I do powder coating.

tu nice!

What kind of kit do you use? I've been looking at a few on Ebay

Re: Winter Project - March 13, 2013 05:33 pm UTC

This ought to look good smile

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - March 14, 2013 07:10 pm UTC

This is how the car is sitting as of last night. I mailed off the 20g this morning. Should have something new to put in that empty spot tonight.

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - March 17, 2013 01:28 am UTC

Here's the new toy.

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - April 04, 2013 05:14 am UTC

Starting to get a few things going here.

Took a spare 2g intake manifold, bored it out for a 1g throttle body, and while I was at it decided to shave it.

[Linked Image]

After a little welding:

[Linked Image]

Fuse box is in it's new location, still more trimming to do.

[Linked Image]

And lastly the turbo got some powder, next week the rest will get ceramic smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bradley Woodward

Re: Winter Project - April 05, 2013 02:11 am UTC

So how does the wire tuck work? Are you splicing in new lengths of wire where you need length or does everything reach OK? Or are you re-wiring all the way to the ECU? It looks hot, I just hate touching wiring if I don't have to for fear of a difficult to diagnose bad connection.

Re: Winter Project - April 05, 2013 02:18 am UTC

whats the turbo?

Re: Winter Project - April 05, 2013 02:27 am UTC

Don't waist your time with dielectric grease unless it for the back of the connector. Dielectric grease is an insulator not a conducter. It is used on connections that are not already weather packed ( the little rubber socks and orings in the connector) you will have no problems unless you have tampered with the actual terminal and connector.

Re: Winter Project - April 05, 2013 04:12 am UTC

Originally Posted by Bradley Woodward
So how does the wire tuck work? Are you splicing in new lengths of wire where you need length or does everything reach OK? Or are you re-wiring all the way to the ECU? It looks hot, I just hate touching wiring if I don't have to for fear of a difficult to diagnose bad connection.

So far everything has been ok with the stock length, even with the fuse box dropped down in the fender. I'm only going back to the firewall, I've removed wiring that I will never use again, but there is a small stub remaining which is labelled in case I ever need it.

Originally Posted by Jay Stacey
whats the turbo?

It's a GT3071

Re: Winter Project - April 05, 2013 09:59 pm UTC

I like what you did with the intake. Are you going to run a vac block then?

Re: Winter Project - April 06, 2013 11:47 am UTC

Looks good Jason.

If he had moved the fuse box to the cabin like I did then he would of had to extend more wires. As long so you do a good soldering job and use adhesive lined heat shrink you will be ok.

Re: Winter Project - April 06, 2013 09:51 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Johnny Larmond
I like what you did with the intake. Are you going to run a vac block then?

Thanks, and yes, that is the plan, everything will be out of sight.

Re: Winter Project - April 06, 2013 11:15 pm UTC

I just completed moving my fuse box to the trunk, I had to extend the Headlight,horn,rad fan,turn signals and the oil sensors but all the other wires (20 or so of them) did not have to be extended as they had enough length.

Jason..Instead of running a vacuum block (which can be inconsistent to feed everything) you could try putting multiple npt barb fittings on the back of the manifold, thats the route I plan on taking.

Re: Winter Project - April 07, 2013 02:18 am UTC

The other idea I had in my head was to tap the ends of the rail that the PCV valve connects into on the manifold, one end to feed the BOV and the other end for the AFPR and map sensor.
Posted By: Jeremy Gilbert

Re: Winter Project - April 07, 2013 06:47 am UTC

If that MAP sensor is for SD, I would give it a dedicated line (as short as possible) instead of having it share with the AFPR.

Re: Winter Project - April 07, 2013 01:27 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Jeremy Gilbert
If that MAP sensor is for SD, I would give it a dedicated line (as short as possible) instead of having it share with the AFPR.

+1, dedicated lines for the important hardware is important if you want accuracy and less vacuum related issues. BOV...FPR...Brake Booster...and MAP sensor should never share vacuum sources.

Re: Winter Project - April 07, 2013 03:53 pm UTC

Or put the MAP right in the manifold. My MAP sensors are threaded directly into my SMIM.

Re: Winter Project - April 07, 2013 06:13 pm UTC

Ok, I've popped the little freeze plugs out of the ends -> very, very easy to do. It's sized perfectly inside to be tapped NPT.

So I will come off the right side with a 1/4 npt line and break will T into two 1/8" barbed fittings, the other end will be a barbed fitting directly in the end. This rail is large inside and connected to all 4 runners, I can't foresee any issues sharing it this way. Last year my AFPR/MAP/boost gauge all shared one vacuum hose with no ill effects that I could see, it has to be an improvement over this.

I'm not going to throw tons of effort into this. When my 6 bolt block is completed, I have a fresh rebuilt 1g head to go along with it and will most likely run either a Magnus cast intake or some other SMIM.

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - April 12, 2013 03:48 am UTC

More parts have arrived, and more should be in tomorrow as well.

[Linked Image]

Also got a new front bumper.

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - April 13, 2013 03:57 am UTC

Catch can is now finished.

Started off like this:

[Linked Image]

And completed:

[Linked Image]

Baffled inside as well.

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - April 13, 2013 07:03 am UTC

I like it! You just tack the baffle in there?

Re: Winter Project - April 13, 2013 03:08 pm UTC

It's screwed in, you can see the holes on the top.

Re: Winter Project - April 13, 2013 06:32 pm UTC

So far everything has been ok with the stock length, even with the fuse box dropped down in the fender. I'm only going back to the firewall, I've removed wiring that I will never use again, but there is a small stub remaining which is labelled in case I ever need it.

whats the turbo?

It's a GT3071

BB?

Re: Winter Project - April 13, 2013 11:32 pm UTC

Yes.

Wire harness is 90% done, just a couple little things to take care of but I need to get my intake manifold bolted up first to verify cable lengths.

Re: Winter Project - April 14, 2013 12:30 am UTC

I just picked up a catch can of that style. Nice use of the baffle. I may have to steal that idea.

Re: Winter Project - April 15, 2013 05:28 pm UTC

My wire tuck is nearly finished, all electrical on the motor is now connected. The shaved intake manifold and 1g TB are installed as well.

[Linked Image]

Even the injectors.

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - April 15, 2013 05:55 pm UTC

Looking VERY clean under that hood!

Re: Winter Project - April 15, 2013 05:59 pm UTC

Could you post a picture of how you tucked the injector wires? it would help me out if you could.

Re: Winter Project - April 15, 2013 06:05 pm UTC

Could you post a picture of how you tucked the injector wires? it would help me out if you could.

This is probably the best view I can get, they are pointed downwards and run between runners. I don't think this works with the coil pack and igniter in the stock locations.

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - April 15, 2013 07:40 pm UTC

thanks! The route you have taken with your shave/tuck is eerily similar to what my path is. Wire routing will not be a problem I just wanted to see how you redirected the wires.

Great work bty

Re: Winter Project - April 18, 2013 12:52 pm UTC

I built my catch can mounting bracket last night, very pleased with the results.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
(no it's not drilled crooked, it wasn't bolted tight :p)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - April 18, 2013 02:27 pm UTC

Looking very nice and clean!

Re: Winter Project - April 21, 2013 02:40 am UTC

Waste gate finished, ceramic and powder smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - April 21, 2013 11:58 am UTC

Thumbs up for doing work yourself Jason tu tu

Re: Winter Project - April 21, 2013 05:19 pm UTC

Thanks Alex smile

Re: Winter Project - April 22, 2013 03:06 am UTC

Turbo is now installed.

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - April 22, 2013 03:07 am UTC

Turbo is now installed.

[Linked Image]

Still missing that upper rad hose wink

Hahaha...looking great, man! Soooo clean!

Are you running open WG dump or will you be recirculating it?

Re: Winter Project - April 22, 2013 03:18 am UTC

I have something a little extra special in the works for the exhaust, it'll be fabbed up this week wink

Re: Winter Project - April 27, 2013 05:42 am UTC

Turbo coolant lines done.

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - April 29, 2013 03:12 am UTC

Pretty much ready to go now, just a few odds & ends to tie up.

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - April 29, 2013 03:37 am UTC

That's a clean engine bay.

Re: Winter Project - May 01, 2013 01:56 pm UTC

I've been down and out the last couple days sick, but it's running smile

Posted By: Michael Lee

Re: Winter Project - May 01, 2013 03:41 pm UTC

Goddamn that sounds mean!

Is that a HAFE exhaust manifold?

Re: Winter Project - May 01, 2013 05:05 pm UTC

It's a SBR, which is more or less the same other than the material used.

Re: Winter Project - May 04, 2013 05:13 am UTC

Last piece is here.

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - May 05, 2013 08:18 pm UTC

How much did you get that for? I have a cutout that I don't use right now, and every one that I have seen like that has been very expensive.

Re: Winter Project - May 06, 2013 02:01 am UTC

$179 shipped. DMH is a one man show but apparently he makes a really good product.

Re: Winter Project - May 06, 2013 02:26 am UTC

Damn that's cheap, everywhere else is like $300.
Nice find, If I don't end up replacing my exhaust I may just grab this.

Re: Winter Project - May 06, 2013 02:57 am UTC

If you get one, call it in, their website order page doesn't work and the guy is aware just has no time to fix it.

Here's a quick idle vid.

Re: Winter Project - May 06, 2013 03:52 am UTC

Cool will keep that in mind.

So how does that work, your exhaust is split?
If your cutout is open it goes out the front, if it's not goes out back?

Re: Winter Project - May 06, 2013 04:06 am UTC

It Y's direct from the o2 housing, when it's open some still goes out the back, but most comes out the side as it's the path of least resistance of course.

Re: Winter Project - May 08, 2013 11:20 pm UTC

Here's some shots of the completed(mostly) bay.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - May 08, 2013 11:30 pm UTC

Sounds cool.. Is the cut out on a toggle? You should have it set for link to activate it. Have it open at like 15psi.

Re: Winter Project - May 08, 2013 11:31 pm UTC

Wow..thats ubber clean

Re: Winter Project - May 08, 2013 11:44 pm UTC

Sounds cool.. Is the cut out on a toggle? You should have it set for link to activate it. Have it open at like 15psi.

Yes it's on a toggle, for "track use" only. I'd rather it be controlled by myself, if it opened at 15 psi it would be open during my normal driving.

Wow..thats ubber clean

Thanks!

Re: Winter Project - May 08, 2013 11:54 pm UTC

I seen it done using a wastegate actuator. Controled with a mbc. He had it setto15psi. rarely ever heard it. You shoudnt be pushing 15psi on the street anyway...

Well ...

we shouldnt be...
Posted By: EK

Re: Winter Project - May 09, 2013 09:31 am UTC

You shoudnt be pushing 15psi on the street anyway...

Well ...

we shouldnt be...

was about to say... my Lancer's stock boost peaks 18psi. 15psi really isn't much. I'd have it on a toggle also, for that reason.

Re: Winter Project - May 09, 2013 10:16 am UTC

Ya but the point is.. you can drive around all day and avoid it. And then when you feel like it it will be there when your ready!

Just a thougt... some people dont like open wastegates either..

Re: Winter Project - May 09, 2013 02:36 pm UTC

When you're used to 30 psi WOT pulls, 15psi is a casual stroll.

I also don't live in a flat area like most of you Ontarians, it is very hilly here and going into during regular driving is a normal occurrence.
Posted By: Ryan Laliberte

Re: Winter Project - May 09, 2013 08:48 pm UTC

Pffft... Track boost = Street Boost cool

Re: Winter Project - May 09, 2013 09:22 pm UTC

Not to go too far off .. but i been driving around trying to avoid opening my external wastegate in town.(14psi). and I think ive became a more mature driver.. and saved a bit of gas.

Re: Winter Project - May 09, 2013 10:29 pm UTC

Not to go too far off .. but i been driving around trying to avoid opening my external wastegate in town.(14psi). and I think ive became a more mature driver.. and saved a bit of gas.
Queue pampers theme!

Re: Winter Project - May 12, 2013 10:53 pm UTC

Guess the DSM wants an aluminum rad now and not later.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bradley Woodward

Re: Winter Project - May 12, 2013 11:54 pm UTC

That's funny I was just going to post that the stock rad has to go before it pops.

Re: Winter Project - May 18, 2013 02:11 pm UTC

Went to the local 1/8th mile track last night, first runs of the year, best run was 8.01 @ 99MPH @ 25 psi, spinning like crazy off the line off every run. Track prep was ZERO and it was far too cold. My best run last year on that track was 7.86 @ 96 @ 28 psi, so the car is definitely faster, I just need to hook up.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lucian Marta

Re: Winter Project - May 19, 2013 06:30 am UTC

Pics of side-exit and bumper on? smile

Originally Posted by Ryan Laliberte
Pffft... Track boost = Street Boost cool

+1

Re: Winter Project - May 20, 2013 12:04 am UTC

Here's the only pic I have of the front with the bumper on.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Guillaume Berton

Re: Winter Project - May 20, 2013 12:17 am UTC

Like the position of the side exhaust. The fact that it's lower at the bumper's end and not a hole in the bumper looks better.

Re: Winter Project - May 20, 2013 01:04 am UTC

I'm thinking of making a plate to surround it similar to how Paul Volk did his, powder coated black or perhaps the same color as the car.

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - May 20, 2013 01:10 am UTC

That car is amazing.
And I think that might be a good idea to protect your bumper from the exhaust heat.

Re: Winter Project - May 20, 2013 11:49 pm UTC

New radiator arrived today, bay looks a lot more complete now smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - May 21, 2013 12:01 am UTC

Looks like a two core rad to me. Are you planning to keep at least one stock fan? or doing both slim?

Re: Winter Project - May 21, 2013 12:06 am UTC

Ya I ended up going with a 2 core instead of a 3, I'm going to likely keep the stock fan on the passenger side and put a slim on the front on the driver side. I logged a spirited run up the highway and it's staying much cooler than the stock rad did.

I also put some weather stripping on the stock fan shroud so it sealed up good to the rad, there was a good 1/8-1/4 inch gap without it.

Re: Winter Project - May 21, 2013 12:15 am UTC

I also put some weather stripping on the stock fan shroud so it sealed up good to the rad, there was a good 1/8-1/4 inch gap without it.

Good idea, I also did it. Do you keep your fans always running or is it automatic?
I don't see any AC lines and AC condenser seems to be missing. That should help with the airflow.

Re: Winter Project - June 01, 2013 08:31 pm UTC

Good idea, I also did it. Do you keep your fans always running or is it automatic?
I don't see any AC lines and AC condenser seems to be missing. That should help with the airflow.

AC is deleted. Fans are on auto.

I've been battling weird idle and WOT issues for a few days, tune would be perfect, afr's between 11.2-11.5 then the next pull would be more around 12 and I'd get knock. So this morning I did a BLT, biss screw was leaking like a sieve, took care of that with a new o-ring, then pulled off the vacuum line to the Fuelab AFPR and gas started pouring out the line.

So I dismantled it and found a rip in the diaphragm, small but not good!

[Linked Image]

Guess I'll have to give Ziggy some more money tongue

Re: Winter Project - June 01, 2013 11:43 pm UTC

Good troubleshooting Jason,
How many kms was on your FPR before diaphragm ripped? Thank god Ziggy sells just the diaphragm smile. Does your FPR hold pressure after engine off?

Re: Winter Project - June 02, 2013 12:04 am UTC

Good troubleshooting Jason,
How many kms was on your FPR before diaphragm ripped? Thank god Ziggy sells just the diaphragm smile. Does your FPR hold pressure after engine off?

Not sure how many km's but 3 years so probably around 15k per year, so a few. It still holds for a little while after it shut off, not like it did before though.

This FPR and many like it had an issue where the ball didn't seat quite right and new from the factory they wouldn't hold pressure for more than a minute. I took it apart and used some lapping compound to make it seat properly and it would hold for a good 15-30 minutes afterwards.

I could have got it cheaper in the US, but I know Ziggy would get it to me quicker.

Re: Winter Project - June 11, 2013 11:06 pm UTC

Gotta love the Purolator guy, always dropping off nice things.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rob Cauduro

Re: Winter Project - June 12, 2013 03:15 am UTC

Talk to your cars about drugs wink

Re: Winter Project - June 12, 2013 03:54 am UTC

OPEN THE DAMN BOX ALREADY..and show me more

Re: Winter Project - June 12, 2013 04:23 am UTC

Sheesh, tough crowd tongue

I need to call Ziggy in the morning though as there are no fittings to screw into the pump in the box...

Sorry but the pump is out in the garage.

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - June 16, 2013 03:14 am UTC

So, since the board has been down, Ziggy sent me those missing fittings(thanks!) and I installed the kit, then went out to do some tuning, the car pulled really hard, far more than ever before. After about 30 minutes of tuning, this was the result.

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - June 16, 2013 06:35 am UTC

ouch! I bet that made a hell of a sound and felt even worse!
Are you AWD or FWD? I have a spare parts tranny that I should be breaking into in the near near future.

Re: Winter Project - June 16, 2013 02:17 pm UTC

I'm AWD.

Actually, it didn't make any noise during the pull, but it sounded really bad as soon as I let off the gas.

I'm trying to work a deal with a local for another tranny, if that doesn't work out I might send this off to Jack's for a 2.2HD rebuild. It's a big chunk of change to drop but I intend to keep racing this car so I might as well go big I think.

Re: Winter Project - June 16, 2013 03:08 pm UTC

Shitty, i guess that happened in the third gear pull. How much power did you make in Ecmlink logs??

Re: Winter Project - June 16, 2013 06:15 pm UTC

On the log before the blow up, the Ecmlink log showed 397hp, I added a bunch more timing on the blow up pull, so it should have been more but I forgot to save the log.

Hopefully I'll get things sorted out there and get it on the dyno sometime this summer.

Re: Winter Project - June 17, 2013 01:33 pm UTC

So I've been thinking it over, contemplating buying another stock trans, risking blowing it up again or going all out and not have to keep worrying about it all the time. I do plan to race the car and it will likely continue to be pushed further.

I'm leaning heavily towards a Jack's 2.2 Super-HD rebuild
(http://www.jackstransmissions.com/collections/value-rebuilds/products/stage-2-1-hd-awd-value-rebuild)

One of my friends had a Jack's rebuild and loved it. He did manage to break it with his 2.3 stroker and FP 3076HTA but Jack's honored his warranty and fixed it at no cost.

Re: Winter Project - June 17, 2013 07:34 pm UTC

That tranny sounds delicious.

DO IT!

Re: Winter Project - June 17, 2013 08:31 pm UTC

I think you'll be very happy with Jack's tranny, if you decide to go that route. I'm doing my best to try and save for one myself, with plans to buy it next winter or spring.

It definitely seems like you'll be seeing enough power and track time to justify it wink

Re: Winter Project - June 19, 2013 11:48 pm UTC

Tranny is out and off to Jack's smile

[Linked Image]

In the meantime, some cutout 2-step

Re: Winter Project - June 20, 2013 12:05 am UTC

bomb

Re: Winter Project - June 20, 2013 01:43 am UTC

MORE FIRE!

Re: Winter Project - June 20, 2013 04:20 am UTC

MORE FIRE!

This!

Was expecting much more fiyah!

Re: Winter Project - June 20, 2013 11:49 am UTC

Ha, next time I'll crank up the fuel enrichment, that'll make fiyah!

Re: Winter Project - June 20, 2013 06:08 pm UTC

Ha, next time I'll crank up the fuel enrichment, that'll make fiyah!

naughty naughty naughty

Re: Winter Project - June 24, 2013 12:57 am UTC

Trying to get some things done while the car is down. Got the new bumper fitted and took it over to the body shop today.

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - June 24, 2013 01:14 am UTC

I assume the new bumper is so that you could go badgeless?

I like the matte colour, it looks nice.

Re: Winter Project - June 24, 2013 01:49 am UTC

No, actually I liked the embossed mitsu emblem on the oem bumper, but that bumper has seen it's time, so many stone chips and gouges on the bottom edge from 16 years of abuse.

This one will be paint matched to the car, should have it back in a week or 2. I gave the body shop my gas cap door so they can do an exact match on the paint.

Re: Winter Project - June 24, 2013 02:30 am UTC

Good call on using the gas cap, never would have though of that.
You cutting before paint or after paint?

Re: Winter Project - June 24, 2013 04:43 am UTC

I cut it today, before paint.

Re: Winter Project - June 26, 2013 01:16 pm UTC

Motor/tranny mounds freshen up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Also started on my calipers. I painted them about 3 years ago and they are certainly looking like it, hundreds of track passes and thousands of miles later.

[Linked Image]

Started to strip them down.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Apparently the Baer logo is filled with some sort of rubbery coating, very thick and the sandblast won't touch it, had to cut them out with a knife.

[Linked Image]

A final blasting and they will be getting powder.

Re: Winter Project - June 26, 2013 02:08 pm UTC

Black Chrome? smile

Re: Winter Project - June 26, 2013 03:11 pm UTC

I still haven't decided 100%, but I think that would be nice with candy red letters.

Re: Winter Project - June 26, 2013 04:47 pm UTC

Black and yellow, black and yellow, black and yellow, black and yellow.
Posted By: Daren Peacock

Re: Winter Project - June 26, 2013 06:22 pm UTC

You planning on using the pressure switch to trigger the meth injection? If so, I'd recommend ditching it & using link to control it, much better setup IMO.

Re: Winter Project - June 26, 2013 08:02 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Daren Peacock
You planning on using the pressure switch to trigger the meth injection? If so, I'd recommend ditching it & using link to control it, much better setup IMO.

I ran it for a bit off the pressure switch, seemed to work fine, but yes the plan was to upgrade to V3 and use link, that's why I didn't buy the progressive kit.

Re: Winter Project - June 26, 2013 09:31 pm UTC

I ran it for a bit off the pressure switch, seemed to work fine, but yes the plan was to upgrade to V3 and use link, that's why I didn't buy the progressive kit.

Ya, nothing wrong with the basic pressure switch, I ran mine like that for a few summers. Just that Link offers more options/conditions, instead of the basic pressure regulated, on/off control. Its just as easy to hook up (actually maybe easier), but not everyone is aware it has this option, so just making sure wink

Re: Winter Project - July 01, 2013 04:40 am UTC

Sorry Rob, but the ricer inside me won, I stayed with red, I thought long and hard but in the end I decided I liked the red in my color scheme.

[Linked Image]

Also fixed a CV boot that was cracked.

Before:

[Linked Image]

After:

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - July 01, 2013 03:13 pm UTC

The calipers look mint !!

Re: Winter Project - July 01, 2013 03:55 pm UTC

Great job on those calipers Jason

Re: Winter Project - July 01, 2013 08:43 pm UTC

Nice catch on that boot. Those things will ruin your day quickly.
Sexy calipers as well wink

Re: Winter Project - July 02, 2013 02:31 am UTC

Got my Power Stop Evolution pads in today and got the calipers reassembled and back on the car.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Prothane inserts arrived too.

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - July 02, 2013 02:35 am UTC

Check out my build thread if you are interested in swapping the front and rear roll stops to solid inserts like you just did with your side ones.

Where did you buy your baer calipers?

Re: Winter Project - July 02, 2013 02:52 am UTC

My roll stops are welded solid already, these were just filled with urethane but they had started to crack and look like crap even though they were still fairly firm, so I figured now is the time to coat the mounts and get the prothanes.

I got the Baer's direct from them about 5 or 6 years ago.

Re: Winter Project - July 02, 2013 03:22 am UTC

Great thanks.

I was going to weld my roll stops too before I found the solid prothane inserts, how do you like the solid welded roll stops?

Re: Winter Project - July 02, 2013 04:19 am UTC

I honestly don't find them to be bad. I had the roll stops just filled with my previous motor with no balance shafts, it had some vibration, got used to it very quickly.

Now with this motor with balance shafts and the solid roll stops, I find it to be smoother, much less vibration.

Re: Winter Project - July 03, 2013 07:10 pm UTC

Now with this motor with balance shafts and the solid roll stops, I find it to be smoother, much less vibration.

I always loved my balance shafts and still run them. I feel better you been pushing limits out of your 4G63 with BS still in it tu

Re: Winter Project - July 03, 2013 07:22 pm UTC

Those Baers are beautiful!!
Love the way they turned out! Love the colours!

Re: Winter Project - July 17, 2013 10:15 pm UTC

Jason, did you add taller 5th gear to your build?

Re: Winter Project - July 18, 2013 01:52 am UTC

Jason, did you add taller 5th gear to your build?

No, I just went with the standard 5th and welded center.

I'm supposed to receive the trans next week when I get back from vacation smile

Re: Winter Project - July 26, 2013 01:38 am UTC

Subject: Your transmission is complete!
Date: Thu, July 25, 2013 4:37 pm
To:
--------------------------------
Hello,

We want to let you know that your unit is complete and ready to be packaged and shipped. You will receive confirmation once it goes out.

Thanks!

The Service Guys

That's what I've been waiting to here!

Re: Winter Project - July 26, 2013 05:34 am UTC

Awesome...now I just need them to send me the parts so I can rebuild MY tranny so I too will have a working DSM at the Shootout tongue

Re: Winter Project - July 26, 2013 11:04 am UTC

That's such good news. Let us know how those HD gears shift

Re: Winter Project - July 26, 2013 05:17 pm UTC

I will, I need to get in some track time before the shootout to make sure it's gonna hold up in Norwalk laugh

Re: Winter Project - August 02, 2013 01:59 am UTC

I'll be picking up the tranny Monday, and hopefully the car will be rolling Tuesday smile

In the mean time I did a few more little things, changed another CV boot, not that it was torn, but it was a universal boot, switched it for an oem.

[Linked Image]

Rebuilt my oem slave, was fine but I figured now is the time to do it.

[Linked Image]

Also mounted a 10" slim fan, I didn't have any cooling issues with the main oem fan, but I want assurance for the long ride to Norwalk that I wouldn't have any issues.

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - August 02, 2013 02:40 am UTC

You can keep fans always on and use cabin heater fan to battle heat in case of emergency. On the side note, I see you still using manual boost controller. Have you thought about switching to ECU boost control?

Re: Winter Project - August 02, 2013 02:53 am UTC

You can also use the A/C button to turn that fan on and off. I haven't had any heat issues since installing this rad anyway.

ECU boost control may come at some point, as well as speed density when I upgrade to V3, for now the mbc is doing a good job.

Re: Winter Project - August 02, 2013 03:00 am UTC

You can also use the A/C button to turn that fan on and off.

My A/C button turns AC which makes things even more hotter for my dsm smile

How do you tune airflow? Stock or GM MAF?

Re: Winter Project - August 02, 2013 03:02 am UTC

Stock MAF + gm map sensor for the time being.

Re: Winter Project - August 02, 2013 03:09 am UTC

Looks like it will be one of those special weekends where Monday does not disappoint. Good luck on Monday, hopefully everything arrived as expected.

Re: Winter Project - August 03, 2013 01:03 am UTC

Got my new bumper back from the body shop smile

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - August 03, 2013 02:11 am UTC

Gawd dammit..... Beautiful!

Re: Winter Project - August 06, 2013 02:05 am UTC

It's Christmas in August smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - August 06, 2013 02:17 am UTC

Soooo jealous....

Re: Winter Project - August 06, 2013 02:21 am UTC

I think we all are!! Very nice!

Re: Winter Project - August 06, 2013 02:44 am UTC

It's Christmas in August smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm going to quote this just so we see it again as we scroll down. smile

DAMN!!! I was waiting to see this thing here.

Hopefully I can snag one up next season..I mean tax season demon

Re: Winter Project - August 06, 2013 03:06 am UTC

Looks good! Get her installed so you can lay down some good times at the SO with the big turbo! laugh

Re: Winter Project - August 06, 2013 03:15 am UTC

Get her installed? You don't know we that well, I picked it up at 4pm and it was running by 9pm tongue

Re: Winter Project - August 06, 2013 03:31 am UTC

Get her installed? You don't know we that well, I picked it up at 4pm and it was running by 9pm tongue

Atta-boy. That's what I like to hear laugh

Re: Winter Project - August 06, 2013 05:26 pm UTC

5 hours?! WTF took so long?! rotflmao I kid, I kid. Well done man laugh

Re: Winter Project - August 06, 2013 06:26 pm UTC

5 hours?! WTF took so long?! rotflmao I kid, I kid. Well done man laugh

I had to take my dogs for an hour long walk and stop for supper, geez, tough crowd tongue

Re: Winter Project - August 07, 2013 03:11 am UTC

So far so good, took it for about a 20 minute drive, everything feels good, tried a couple NLTS shifts at 6500rpm, went in like butter, the shifter feels very firm, but good. Gonna take a little getting used to the welded center diff though.

Re: Winter Project - August 07, 2013 03:26 am UTC

NLTS shifts at 6500 with a 20 min drive? Jacks doesn't have some sort of break in procedure like the other tranny shops? Usually they don't want you to beat on them till the gears & the syncho's bed in.

Re: Winter Project - August 07, 2013 03:30 am UTC

Isn't that why it's called "break-in"...? tongue

I wondered the same thing.

Re: Winter Project - August 07, 2013 03:33 am UTC

NLTS shifts at 6500 with a 20 min drive? Jacks doesn't have some sort of break in procedure like the other tranny shops? Usually they don't want you to beat on them till the gears & the syncho's bed in.

I read through the whole packet of papers they sent me, there is ZERO mention of babying it for X miles. To be fair, it was 2 shifts at the end of the 20 minutes, I didn't just go right out and beat it in the first 100 feet.

Re: Winter Project - August 07, 2013 06:44 am UTC

The gears (and synchros) need to bed. You're gonna wanna change the fluid after you put on a few hundred/thousand k.

Re: Winter Project - August 07, 2013 01:47 pm UTC

Ya, I figured I would change the fluid after returning from the shootout.

Re: Winter Project - August 07, 2013 02:04 pm UTC

Ya, I figured I would change the fluid after returning from the shootout.

Will you be racing at all? laugh

Re: Winter Project - August 07, 2013 02:31 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Mike Eng
Isn't that why it's called "break-in"...? tongue

I wondered the same thing.

Engine break-in & tranny break-in are not the same wink

Think they normally recommend ~1000 miles of easy shifting. Synchro's need to bed in for proper operation (likely won't shift all that great until this happens). Gears also need to bed in to each other for optimal power handling.

TRE say no launches & hard/fast shifting for a min of 500 miles (when you should first change the oil). And will take ~2000 miles before best shifting is achieved.
Posted By: Isaque Nunes

Re: Winter Project - August 07, 2013 02:41 pm UTC

Jason,
Awesome updates and man I'm impressed on the quality of workmanship!
Good job.

Re: Winter Project - August 07, 2013 03:00 pm UTC

The 10 or so page document included with this transmission has zero mention of milage for break-in, lots on clutch adjustment, oils, inspecting it, etc but like I said, not one mention of no hard shifts for x-miles or anything along those lines.

That being said, I don't plan on beating the crap out of it either, I'm going to do some cruising tonight, should put on 100+ miles easily. I don't know if I will race at the shootout or not, likely not.
Posted By: Reza Mirza

Re: Winter Project - August 07, 2013 04:51 pm UTC

I usually recommend 5000km of break in on all the trannies I build with regular Canadian tire gear oil. You will notice the fluid slightly silver from the break in. It's normal, especially with tighter preloads and newer parts. The more you change the oil, the more cleaner it gets.

I wouldn't worry about the 6500 rpm NLTS, just try not to be too aggressive with it. You can obviously use NLTS and shift super slow or just slam it in. I don't even consider that high rpm wink

Re: Winter Project - August 07, 2013 06:16 pm UTC

My 6500 was better than the max of 6000 the old tranny would engage at tongue

Next year when I finish my built block & head, I'll see how fast it really can shift laugh

Re: Winter Project - August 14, 2013 04:20 am UTC

Thought I'd give the "hd" lip a try.

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - August 14, 2013 10:33 am UTC

I love how it's called the "HD" lip, so you think "heavy duty" rather than "$10 at Home Depot", haha.

Looks very clean and well molded. Let us know if you see any difference in intake temps!

Re: Winter Project - September 01, 2013 04:40 pm UTC

After killing my second wideband sensor I bit the bullet and picked up a heatsink for it. I used to have a homemade copper heatsink when I had the Megan tubular o2 housing but it didn't fit right on the evo 3 o2 so I took a chance and ran without it, of course I paid the price.

[Linked Image]

This is directional and has to be installed in a certain orientation so the flow enters it properly. They include one copper washer with it but it was not tight in the correct direction so luckily I had a few other crush washers on hand, I think I added 2 and then it tightened in the proper orientation.

Re: Winter Project - September 18, 2013 02:46 am UTC

Finally had a chance to build my intake box, this should help the AIT's a bit. I think I'll powdercoat it black when I get the chance.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mike Petro

Re: Winter Project - September 18, 2013 02:50 am UTC

I think I'll powdercoat it black when I get the chance.

+1 for this. It looks "off" in there right now

Re: Winter Project - September 18, 2013 03:03 am UTC

Have you thought about matching it to your car/valve cover?

Re: Winter Project - September 18, 2013 03:12 am UTC

Have you thought about matching it to your car/valve cover?

It crossed my mind, but I don't have any of that powder left and I'd hate to go buy a pound of it to do one thing. I could also do it in black chrome to match the other piping but I think I'd rather it be less noticeable.

Re: Winter Project - September 19, 2013 12:50 am UTC

So I pulled a log this morning while in stop & go traffic on the way to work, this was the max temp I saw(it was around 8C outside).

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - September 19, 2013 03:33 am UTC

at cruising, that's not too bad. when it was 11 out I was getting 15.

Re: Winter Project - September 19, 2013 10:11 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Bryan Lawrence
at cruising, that's not too bad. when it was 11 out I was getting 15.

51F = ~10C, so I'm only seeing a 2C raise in temps at pretty much a standstill, I'd say that's pretty damn good.

Re: Winter Project - September 20, 2013 12:42 am UTC

does it make much difference when you are cruising?

Re: Winter Project - September 20, 2013 02:09 am UTC

does it make much difference when you are cruising?

I didn't get a chance to log anymore but on the whole trip to work, the temp never went over about 2C over the outside air temp. While cruising it should be even less difference from outside air, under the box is completely open to the wheel well, so it takes in 0 air from the bay.

Re: Winter Project - September 20, 2013 02:45 am UTC

Jason are you running a stock MAF or SD with an IAT near the Tbody?

Re: Winter Project - September 20, 2013 03:13 am UTC

Stock MAF for now. I'm going to update to V3 and SD this coming winter.

Re: Winter Project - September 20, 2013 03:30 am UTC

Those are good temps then. Once you move your IAT you will get proper temps though.

Re: Winter Project - September 20, 2013 01:01 pm UTC

Yeah after you make the switch i am curious to see the difference

Re: Winter Project - March 22, 2014 04:09 am UTC

Well I guess it's that time of year again, though it doesn't really look like it outside FFS.

So back in January I think it was, I did the upgrade to Ecmlink V3, popped it in last month and did the basic setup, got the car running fine enough to take it outside for a breather.

So now I've got everything to switch over to speed density, MAP is already installed, just need to weld a bung in my UICP.

I picked up some 4" tubing today to fab up my new turbo intake. This shouldn't restrict that red too much smile

[Linked Image]

Also sold my FIC 850's and pick up a set of FIC 1150's so I should have enough fuel for that 10.99 pass that I've set out for myself this year.

I think I'll also get a larger meth nozzle, or maybe dual nozzles, anyone with meth experience, what's your preference? Also will be letting ecmlink control the meth.

So this is the last time it ran on the stock ma

Re: Winter Project - April 05, 2014 11:05 pm UTC

IAT sensor is in now, just waiting for my injectors to come back from FIC for cleaning and flow testing and it should be all good to start up on speed density.

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - April 05, 2014 11:42 pm UTC

Looks good. How often injectors needs to be cleaned?
Are you removing MAF or running both to help with the tune?

Re: Winter Project - April 06, 2014 12:11 am UTC

These are a set of used injectors, so I don't know their history besides what I was told, which I pretty much always assume I'm being lied to. So it's well worth it in my mind to have them professionally cleaned and flow matched, I'm still about $100 cheaper than buying a new set even after the cleaning/flow matching.

I'm going to load in my tune from last fall and adjust for the new injectors and roll with the maf for a bit, I know my air flow was well calibrated before so I'll start off on a good base with that.

Re: Winter Project - April 06, 2014 12:36 am UTC

Jason can you share the cost with us, or PM, I am looking at doing the same with my injectors.

Re: Winter Project - April 06, 2014 12:45 am UTC

$80 US for the service which includes a new set of seals, or $70 if you don't need the seals.

Re: Winter Project - April 06, 2014 12:59 am UTC

And you are going across the border for sending and pickup? I am wondering how much more it would be if I did it from here.

Re: Winter Project - April 06, 2014 01:05 am UTC

Yes, to and from my PO box, only $5ish to ship to Florida from state side. Shouldn't be much more to ship from Canada and you'd only have to pay tax on the service being rendered, FIC ships with USPS.

Re: Winter Project - April 06, 2014 01:17 am UTC

Ok cool! Thanks man!

Re: Winter Project - April 06, 2014 01:39 am UTC

It's $70 canadain dollars to have it done here.

Re: Winter Project - April 06, 2014 01:41 am UTC

And good call on having a set of used injectors tested Jason. Lots of people miss that step.

Re: Winter Project - April 06, 2014 02:21 am UTC

I'd have to ship them either way so for me it doesn't make any difference, I live right on the border so it's no inconvenience for me when you know the customs officers on a first name basis lol.

First time I've had the intake off since August, still looks like brand new.

[Linked Image]

Started messing around with my 4" intake as well.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - April 06, 2014 02:45 am UTC

Eye candy drool
With your airflow levels you should defiantly notice improvements with MAF removed.

Re: Winter Project - April 07, 2014 02:13 am UTC

Picked up this little beauty today, will go well with the SD.

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - April 07, 2014 03:08 am UTC

Love the q.

It doesn't give you that crazy whistle some other brands do.

Re: Winter Project - April 07, 2014 10:31 am UTC

Tial ftw.

Re: Winter Project - April 07, 2014 01:34 pm UTC

Love the q.

It doesn't give you that crazy whistle some other brands do.

That's exactly what I want, I don't need to pull ricer fly-bys. Though the Evo 9 bov I was running was pretty damn silent so it won't be much of a change.

Just got a call a few minutes ago from FIC, to let me know the injectors were about 4% out from each other but they will correct them to within 1% and call me back with the final values later today. The guy I talked to was very nice and informative, +1 on FIC customer service.

Re: Winter Project - April 10, 2014 08:07 pm UTC

Received my injectors back today, excellent service by FIC.

As stated earlier, I opted not to get new seals as I had just purchased a set from Ziggy, well they showed up today with brand new seals on them! Also they are rated at 1150cc but they actually flowing around 1250cc, so I have enough injector for over 600hp smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - April 11, 2014 03:10 am UTC

Got the injectors in and went right into setting up speed density, got it started up and adjusted a few things before I ran out of battery power on my laptop.

Re: Winter Project - April 14, 2014 12:39 am UTC

Got most everything fabbed up now, just need to coat everything.

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - April 20, 2014 05:59 am UTC

So as most have probably seen, the car is out and running well on speed density, ecmlink is controlling the meth injection as well now. All in all, it was pretty easy to get going.

Now I can't wait for the tracks to open up.

Now for some eye candy smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Stephan Tanchak

Re: Winter Project - April 20, 2014 06:08 am UTC

Those are some really nice colours. Looks amazing!!

Also, did you notice a difference with the logged air temperature after putting in the box for the intake?

Re: Winter Project - April 20, 2014 06:25 am UTC

I should do a log with an without the box in place but I have a log on open right now of a 1st to 4th gear pull and the highest the GM IAT logged was 69F. While cruising it was around 53F, temps where in the high 40F's here today.

Re: Winter Project - April 20, 2014 06:34 am UTC

Wow. I've been seeing temps around the 150* area, no box or heat shield on the manifold during cruise. And that's during these colder days. Lol

The 2g with a manifold and turbo blanket logged about 70* during cruise, and up to about 100* sitting in traffic for extended periods during the hottest days last summer.

Re: Winter Project - April 20, 2014 01:52 pm UTC

That's really cool Jason! Mine are usually around 70* after a pull, that's really high stephan.

Re: Winter Project - April 26, 2014 04:07 am UTC

Took the car to the 1/8th mile track tonight for the first time.

It was a "pre-opening" night, no track prep so traction was pretty much non existent and the tune is still in the early stages for sure, just no time to get out and work on it. I was actually breaking loose in the top of 2nd, that was a little sketchy!

First pass was a 7.70 @ 94 at only 23psi!

I think I got one faster than that but no one saw the time and this place doesn't give slips on Friday nights.

Real excited to see how far I can push it this year smile

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - April 26, 2014 05:21 am UTC

Took the car to the 1/8th mile track tonight for the first time.

It was a "pre-opening" night, no track prep so traction was pretty much non existent and the tune is still in the early stages for sure, just no time to get out and work on it. I was actually breaking loose in the top of 2nd, that was a little sketchy!

First pass was a 7.70 @ 94 at only 23psi!

I think I got one faster than that but no one saw the time and this place doesn't give slips on Friday nights.

Real excited to see how far I can push it this year smile

no biggie, consider it a warm-up. SD is accurate so it has more tuning potential. Can't wait to get mine on SD again. My sticker expires in June...after that is SD
Feel any difference not recirculating anymore?
Posted By: John MacPhail

Re: Winter Project - April 27, 2014 11:25 pm UTC

[quote=Jason Drew]So as most have probably seen, the car is out and running well on speed density, ecmlink is controlling the meth injection as well now. All in all, it was pretty easy to get going.

Jason how do you have the meth controled by link? adding meth to mine and this sounds like the right way to go.

PS nice pass: First pass was a 7.70 @ 94 at only 23psi!

Re: Winter Project - April 28, 2014 02:09 am UTC

Originally Posted by John MacPhail
[quote=Jason Drew]So as most have probably seen, the car is out and running well on speed density, ecmlink is controlling the meth injection as well now. All in all, it was pretty easy to get going.

Jason how do you have the meth controled by link? adding meth to mine and this sounds like the right way to go.

Fuel pressure solenoid output activation based on load in V3, automatically sets the aux fuel maps as well to correct the fuel mixture, works REALLY well.

Thanks! Felt really good for the start of the year!

Here's a vid from Friday.

Re: Winter Project - April 28, 2014 02:44 am UTC

Originally Posted by John MacPhail

Fuel pressure solenoid output activation based on load in V3, automatically sets the aux fuel maps as well to correct the fuel mixture, works REALLY well.

Thanks! Felt really good for the start of the year!

Here's a vid from Friday.

Not really an issue for us here in Canada but if you ever have any intention of running the flexfuel setup then you'll have to get rid of the ecu controlled meth.

Re: Winter Project - April 28, 2014 03:05 am UTC

Ya that'll never happen here.

Re: Winter Project - April 28, 2014 03:16 am UTC

Ecu controlled meth is probably way better than the AEM controller I'm using. 1st gear suffered from no meth syndrome so I couldn't up the timing.

Re: Winter Project - June 20, 2014 11:26 pm UTC

Figured I'd get my worn out rear diff bushings replaced before the first competition this weekend. Only 1 of the three were still good and had fluid in it.

Took me all of about 90 minutes to swap them out. Drilled out the rubber, notched them and air hammered the old ones out, wire brushed and anti-seized the holes and drove the new ones back in.

Still got one more surprise coming for the rear wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - June 20, 2014 11:40 pm UTC

Drilled out the rubber, notched them and air hammered the old ones out, wire brushed and anti-seized the holes and drove the new ones back in.

Brilliant work Jason as always tu
I recall Paul B (RTM) was working on the wright-up for this job

Re: Winter Project - June 24, 2014 01:21 am UTC

Well....not too impressed with these bushings.

I put about 200 miles and 8 launches on them and they are toast.

On the last pass at the SSPA event I heard a noticeable clunk between gear changes and knew something was up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Contacted the manufacturer today and they agreed there's an obvious defect in them, likely the front one failed first, followed by the rears. They offered to replace them with express shipping and everything was taken care of quickly. I opted to replace these with the solid bushings though this time, I don't feel like changing these a 3rd time.

Re: Winter Project - June 24, 2014 11:11 am UTC

Wow that's brutal I was reading about the the ones that snowboarder and the other guys built on tuners as they looked identical and they seemed to like them.

Re: Winter Project - June 24, 2014 03:46 pm UTC

That was my motivation for them as well, didn't work out so well for me.

Re: Winter Project - September 20, 2014 02:54 am UTC

Bought time I update this thread.

Well most of you've now seen the clutch issue I suffered a week and a half ago.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I want to give a HUGE thanks to Jamie Valcamp for helping out a fellow DSM'er, he offered me up this very lightly used Southbend disk for an offer that I couldn't refuse. I will be upgrading later on but this will get me through the rest of the year for sure and kept my down time to a minimum.

[Linked Image]

While it was down, I took the time to actually wire in my water tight quick connect for my boost solenoid.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And finally, back out on the road.

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - September 20, 2014 02:57 am UTC

Nice work Jason, I just went with the old boost solenoid connector, seemed to work well.

Re: Winter Project - September 20, 2014 03:18 am UTC

I deleted mine when I did the wire tuck, never thought I'd need it again. I actually had to open up part of my harness to get the wires back out.

Re: Winter Project - September 20, 2014 03:20 am UTC

Haha wow, that's pretty wild than. It definitely looks nicer!!

Re: Winter Project - September 20, 2014 03:47 am UTC

Well done and welcome to boost by gear universe! Hopefully redesigned SB disk will hold this time.

Re: Winter Project - September 20, 2014 01:04 pm UTC

Are there any AWD guys that use boost by gear?
I was debating on it but my plan was higher boost in the lower gears, I wish there was a way to adjust timing by gears.

Re: Winter Project - September 21, 2014 12:26 am UTC

I was toying with the idea of dropping my boost in 1st a little, track conditions need to be good to hold 28psi in 1st.

Re: Winter Project - March 15, 2015 12:53 am UTC

So I guess it's time to update on 2015's plans.

First off, pulled the intake manifold off a while back, it's off to a new home, it's getting replaced with a shaved and coated Evo 3 intake manifold.

Here's the progress on that so far:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Motor is ready to pull as of a couple nights ago.

[Linked Image]

I'm also moving on from the Southbend SS/TZ, it's been a great clutch, I really enjoyed it but it just doesn't deal well with hot lapping the car at my power level.

It's getting replaced with a PTT twin disk.

[Linked Image]

I didn't ever think I would go to a twin but I'm willing to try it out. If I don't like it I can also switch back to a single disk.

I sold my HKS 264/272 combo and replaced them with a set of GSC S2's, along with Evo 8 behive springs/retainers, so that should open up a top end along with the Evo manifold.

I also have a girdled rear diff cover to install at some point.

There will also be a lot more wire tucking and maybe even a respray of the entire bay, we'll see how much time I have. Also toying with the power steering pump relocation as well. At this rate the roads won't be in good condition until May, so time is on my side.

Re: Winter Project - March 15, 2015 06:53 am UTC

Looking great man. I'm a big fan of the manifold.

Re: Winter Project - March 15, 2015 12:36 pm UTC

ya.. some fool sold it to him for halfnof what is worth!

Re: Winter Project - March 15, 2015 02:47 pm UTC

Someone got a nice set of HKS cams for a nice price as well wink

Re: Winter Project - March 15, 2015 02:55 pm UTC

Looks wicked!!

Re: Winter Project - March 15, 2015 03:09 pm UTC

Oh, I forgot I also picked up a Walbro 400 fuel pump.

Re: Winter Project - March 15, 2015 03:58 pm UTC

Gonna get a staging brake to help with the launches with the twin?

Re: Winter Project - March 15, 2015 04:47 pm UTC

It's a possibility.

I may not race the car a whole lot until I find a set of slicks for it but then again I might lol.

Re: Winter Project - March 16, 2015 04:13 am UTC

So I guess it's time to update on 2015's plans.

First off, pulled the intake manifold off a while back, it's off to a new home, it's getting replaced with a shaved and coated Evo 3 intake manifold.

I'm also moving on from the Southbend SS/TZ, it's been a great clutch, I really enjoyed it but it just doesn't deal well with hot lapping the car at my power level.

It's getting replaced with a PTT twin disk.

I didn't ever think I would go to a twin but I'm willing to try it out. If I don't like it I can also switch back to a single disk.

I sold my HKS 264/272 combo and replaced them with a set of GSC S2's, along with Evo 8 behive springs/retainers, so that should open up a top end along with the Evo manifold.

I also have a girdled rear diff cover to install at some point.

There will also be a lot more wire tucking and maybe even a respray of the entire bay, we'll see how much time I have. Also toying with the power steering pump relocation as well. At this rate the roads won't be in good condition until May, so time is on my side.

Oh, I forgot I also picked up a Walbro 400 fuel pump.

Sounds like a nice pack of upgrades to punch 2015 like never before. I hope stronger pump, twin clutch, and EVO manifold will work together nicely to break new records this race year. Hopefully i can make to the shootout to meet you and your beast in person.

Keep up the great progress tu

Re: Winter Project - March 18, 2015 09:41 pm UTC

I read this thread over in its entirety every so often.

<3

Edit: Mitsu-media is down by the way

Re: Winter Project - March 19, 2015 02:31 am UTC

Hmmm, thanks for the heads up Michael.

Re: Winter Project - April 04, 2015 11:49 pm UTC

Small little update, intake manifold is ready for powder.

Before

[Linked Image]

After

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - April 05, 2015 12:50 am UTC

Gonna purpleize it?

Re: Winter Project - April 05, 2015 12:50 am UTC

Probably not tongue

Re: Winter Project - April 05, 2015 12:52 am UTC

Aww come on!!

Re: Winter Project - April 05, 2015 12:53 am UTC

It's gotta be the purple, or possibly black chrome.

Re: Winter Project - April 05, 2015 01:01 am UTC

Looks good! What's that thing that runs perpendicular to the runners?

Re: Winter Project - April 05, 2015 01:04 am UTC

It's a hollow tube that connects all the runners, it's what's supposed to pull the gasses from your crankcase from the pcv port. They all have it.

Re: Winter Project - April 05, 2015 01:08 am UTC

Oh ok, never noticed, the 1g intake looks like it curls in more.

Can you remove it?

Re: Winter Project - April 05, 2015 01:14 am UTC

Ya the 1g manifold has longer runners and thicker casting.

It could be removed but it would be a LOT of work. I tap the end of the rail and use it for a hidden vac source.

Re: Winter Project - April 05, 2015 01:18 am UTC

Cool, that's a good idea!!

Re: Winter Project - April 27, 2015 11:53 pm UTC

So the head is now torn down, about half my valve stem seals were leaking, the seals are hard as rock and crunchy, they've never been changed to my knowledge with 150k miles on the car, long over due.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The valves themselves were in pretty good conditions, I cleaned them all and lapped them all in their respective seats, also pretty good for their mileage, no pitting, just dirty.

Cleaned it all and started to reassemble and found I received the wrong valve stem seals, so it'll be a couple days before I get the right ones. Then I'll get the new springs & retainers in along with the GSC S2 cams.

I spent a week or so tearing down the bay and cleaning it up and as of yesterday it's all primed and ready for some color.

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - April 28, 2015 02:02 am UTC

Nice work Jason, what colour you going with? Special type of paint?

Re: Winter Project - April 28, 2015 03:18 am UTC

Nice work indeed Jason! Were you burning visible oil with those dry stem seals? The reason i ask as i have 200,000 miles on mine & no signs of smoke as of yet

Re: Winter Project - April 28, 2015 04:21 am UTC

Nice work Jason, what colour you going with? Special type of paint?

OEM color, Dupont Cromax pro base and clear.

Nice work indeed Jason! Were you burning visible oil with those dry stem seals? The reason i ask as i have 200,000 miles on mine & no signs of smoke as of yet

I had a small puff on start-up and when the car idled for a while. The valves affected were noticeably tarnished by oil running down them.

Re: Winter Project - April 28, 2015 10:55 am UTC

What springs and retainers are you throwing in? Is that all your doing for the head, no machining or anything?

Re: Winter Project - April 28, 2015 11:40 am UTC

It's just getting a set of Evo 8 springs/retainers. No machining other than the lapping I did. It's still flat, seats are good and polished up nice with the lapping. I also don't plan to be revving this to the moon on the stock bottom end.

Re: Winter Project - April 28, 2015 01:16 pm UTC

Ok cool, am hoping to do something similar with the head I have sitting on my work bench but it has a bent valve, wasn't sure if I can just swap it and lap it or if I needed to take it to the shop.

Re: Winter Project - April 28, 2015 01:23 pm UTC

Ok cool, am hoping to do something similar with the head I have sitting on my work bench but it has a bent valve, wasn't sure if I can just swap it and lap it or if I needed to take it to the shop.

Bent valves mean your guides need inspection and likely replacement.

Re: Winter Project - April 28, 2015 02:04 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Mike Degli Angeli
Bent valves mean your guides need inspection and likely replacement.
Thanks Mike, I will be sure to get that done before putting everything back together.

Re: Winter Project - May 01, 2015 02:56 am UTC

Got the correct valve stem seals today so the head is now fully assembled.

Locked down and ready to install keepers smile Total time to install all the springs/keepers/retainers was under 20 minutes.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GSC S2 cams installed.

[Linked Image]

One little downfall with the spring compressor is I found out the tube I used is slightly too large for the smaller Evo retainers, no big deal though, just used an old valve seat and it works perfect.

Re: Winter Project - May 03, 2015 11:55 pm UTC

Got the Barcelona red laid down today smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ian Burnside

Re: Winter Project - May 04, 2015 12:33 am UTC

Just an afternoon project, no big deal.
Posted By: Manny Sandhu

Re: Winter Project - May 04, 2015 02:40 am UTC

Damn jay I thought the 2g was impeccably clean before ...guess I was wrong

Re: Winter Project - May 04, 2015 03:31 pm UTC

Very impressive progress as usual Jason. Looks like you are reusing rocker arm on this build. I heard good things about evo aluminum rocker arm MD375091. Price adds up quite a bit when buying all 16 of those.

Re: Winter Project - May 10, 2015 03:28 pm UTC

Pretty well ready to drop in the motor, probably going to happen later today.

[Linked Image]

I've also known my SBR manifold has been cracked(notorious) for a year or 2 but now has developed into 2 cracks so I decided to take care of it. This tig is so handy laugh

I blasted the cracked areas then ground out and drilled the ends of the cracks, preheated it and welded it and returned it to the oven to cool over a couple hours. Time will tell how long it holds. If it fails I may just build my own manifold.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re-coated.

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - May 10, 2015 06:22 pm UTC

Looks good Jason, hopefully she holds.

Re: Winter Project - May 15, 2015 05:53 pm UTC

Motor is now back in, power steering and all smile

[Linked Image]

She'll hopefully be running tonight.

Re: Winter Project - May 15, 2015 06:03 pm UTC

You really do some nice work Jason tu

Re: Winter Project - May 15, 2015 06:55 pm UTC

Motor is now back in, power steering and all smile [/URL]

She'll hopefully be running tonight.

[Linked Image]

Lighting fast progress tu I don't even want to look at my engine bay after yours shuffle

Re: Winter Project - May 19, 2015 01:41 am UTC

I only had to threaten to sell the damn thing 3 or 4 times today but she's alive. Somehow, somewhere there's a break in one the outputs from the PTU to one of the coil packs. After changing out every part possible that could cause lack of spark on cylinders 2&3 I tracked it down to the wiring and where in the wiring and it doesn't sound like a Subaru anymore. Guess the wiring harness is probably just getting old and brittle and has been moved around one too many times.

Enough said, lets listen to thos GSC S2's rumble!

Re: Winter Project - May 19, 2015 02:19 am UTC

Looks good Jay!! Was the side exit open?

Re: Winter Project - May 19, 2015 02:54 am UTC

No I didn't have the downpipe on yet.

Re: Winter Project - May 19, 2015 01:53 pm UTC

Oh haha, sounded a little like an exhaust leak tongue

Re: Winter Project - May 20, 2015 05:02 am UTC

Here's a better idle video

Re: Winter Project - May 20, 2015 05:50 am UTC

Now lets see some launches while preloading!

Re: Winter Project - May 20, 2015 03:30 pm UTC

Here's a better idle video

I like GSC S2's idle a lot more than your previous setup.
Idle is defiantly smoother compared to before:

I do like the "No low end power is lost vs the stock cams" That alone is good enough reason for me to upgrade. tu

Here is a full description for GSC S2's
The S2 cams are designed for those with more power in mind or a larger turbo. No low end power is lost vs the stock cams when used with the larger turbos. The S2 cams will show gains of 50-70whp over the stock cams and in some cases more in the higher RPMS. Great for 2.0L engines revving to 9000rpms or for Stroker motors revving to 8000rpms. The S2 Cams are suggest to run on our upgraded Beehive valve spring replacement or can be run at the stock revlimit and factory boost on the stock spring. Designed for a rev range of 4000-9000 RPMS(2.0L or 3000-8000 2.2L+), 400-700whp applications. S2 cams can run on Factory ECU with custom flashing. Made 100% In the USA.

Re: Winter Project - May 20, 2015 03:41 pm UTC

S2's and the hx35 were by far my favourite street setup. Still had good bottom end, would spool up quickly and had awesome airflow all the way through to 8k rpm.

Good mid power band, while maintaining that "big turbo" feeling (delayed spool and loud spool) but still hit hard and early enough to not feel laggy.

Re: Winter Project - May 27, 2015 05:18 pm UTC

Jason,
Any issues with high rpm at cold idle after switching to EVO 3 IM?
The reason i asked is this:

Originally Posted by Ryan Laliberte
Car runs great, except for on a cold start. I get a VERY high idle for about 2 minutes, after that it's good. I'm not sure if that has to do with the FIAV or whatnot, I'm running a 1G throttle body with all 2G sensors.

Evo 3 IM vs Stock 2G - Install by Ryan L

Re: Winter Project - May 27, 2015 06:24 pm UTC

Not at all, if anything I have to give it gas to keep it running for the first 15-20 seconds as I have the FIAV closed internally.

Re: Winter Project - October 25, 2015 03:31 am UTC

I managed to get out to the track one last time for the year, it was cold but sunny and I couldn't resist one more chance at the 1320. I'll be installing a staging brake over the winter to try to get these 60' times in check.

Pulled off my best ET of the year and MPH.

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - October 25, 2015 06:23 pm UTC

Congrats Jason tu You made some impressive times and drove her home on her own wheels. Sounds like you all set for your winter projects.

Re: Winter Project - October 25, 2015 11:58 pm UTC

Nice work Jason, what is that beside you?

Re: Winter Project - October 26, 2015 12:01 am UTC

tu

Re: Winter Project - October 26, 2015 01:17 am UTC

Nice work Jason, what is that beside you?

A 10 second Mustang.

Re: Winter Project - October 27, 2015 08:55 am UTC

Good work Jason.

Re: Winter Project - October 27, 2015 04:04 pm UTC

I really like what you've done with the car smile

Re: Winter Project - October 27, 2015 06:30 pm UTC

Thanks smile

Re: Winter Project - October 27, 2015 11:22 pm UTC

Good run! That setup has a lot of potential in it. What were you running your turbo at for that?

Going with a black intercooler this winter? laugh

Re: Winter Project - October 27, 2015 11:49 pm UTC

It was kind of an experimental run. I got an idea from a fellow DSM'er about running both an MBC and ecmlink boost control in conjunction. The idea is the EBC clamps the external gate 100% closed until a certain point via the top port and the MBC sets the maximum boost. So it gives you slightly faster spool up, the WG doesn't gradually open like with a MBC, it opens instantly when it gets to the desired boost and you also don't get that annoying fluttering noise of the EBC caused by the pulsing of the EBC. I set it up about 11pm Friday night and tested it on the way to the track.

I'll have to say it seems to work very well. I was spiking to 32 psi and dropping and holding to 30 psi with a fairly mild timing curve.

[Linked Image]

I'm thinking of picking up a 4" ETS core and probably going black wink

Re: Winter Project - October 28, 2015 12:08 am UTC

That's pretty freaking neat with the two BCs, thanks for giving me more ideas.
(yayayayaya....get my sh!t running...)

Re: Winter Project - October 28, 2015 02:58 am UTC

...also don't get that annoying fluttering noise of the EBC caused by the pulsing of the EBC.

Can't you get rid of it using these parameters?

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - October 28, 2015 03:52 am UTC

...also don't get that annoying fluttering noise of the EBC caused by the pulsing of the EBC.

Can't you get rid of it using these parameters?

[Linked Image]

Possibly, I haven't really played around much with it.

Re: Winter Project - November 01, 2015 10:17 pm UTC

So took a co-worker for a ride the other day, too bad she's used to being on a bike or the reaction could have been better lol.

Re: Winter Project - November 01, 2015 11:09 pm UTC

No bikini top? WTF wink

Re: Winter Project - November 01, 2015 11:43 pm UTC

Another day sir, another day wink

Re: Winter Project - November 01, 2015 11:55 pm UTC

awesome top end! Co-worker is hot too wink

Re: Winter Project - December 13, 2015 05:35 pm UTC

Not 100% sure what my plans are for the car this winter but I finally have my -an bungs welded on my valve cover.

[Linked Image]

Other than that, I will be taking off my wheels and actually powder coating them, the plasti-dip has held up fairly well for several years but it is starting to peel in a number of spots, time to do it right.

I have brand new slotted rotors and parts for it all around but I'll wait until spring to install them.

A staging brake is also on the top of the list of things to do.

Re: Winter Project - March 14, 2016 04:05 am UTC

1st mod/upgrade of the year complete, swapped out the GM 3 bar sensor for a Omni Power 4 bar and fired her up no problem.

Re: Winter Project - April 03, 2016 09:10 pm UTC

Got a haul of parts to bring back from my work trip next week in the US, plan on using that $800 tax credit to the max lol.

Picked up the staging brake, Innovate MTX-D digital boost gauge and a few more bits.

[Linked Image]

I started working on the brakes when I had some time last week, simple job of putting on new pads and rotors turned into a cluster.

These Baer (cobra) brakes have been on the car for 8 years now, yes I got 8 years out of the original rotors. It was only last year that they got some good pedal thump going on.

So last fall I ordered a new set of slotted Cobra rotors from Rotorpros, received them and stored them away until now. Everywhere I ever rear and see said these kits used 94-04 Cobra 13" rotors. I never actually measured mine, just knew they were bigger than stock.

Fast forward to last Tuesday, after fighting for 20 minutes to get the drivers side rotor off the hub I see an issue right away.

[Linked Image]

The old ones are 12" and a different offset. Either I have an oddball early set or or maybe the 1g kit, either way 8 years ago it bolted up and worked.

So obviously I can't return these rotors, it's been 6 months, nor do I want to, bigger=better right? and to use them my calipers need to move out a 1/2". So I check RTM's site as I know they sell this kit. The brackets are out of stock, Tuesday night I email Abbas, to this day, still no response. I know they're busy with the move and all so I'll give him that. I don't have time, nor patience to wait around. I also don't like how their brackets mount the calipers in a 10-11 o'clock position instead of 9 o'clock. I know it works just fine either way, just personal preference.

So I designed and fabbed up my own bracket, cut an MDF prototype on the laser at work to make sure they were correct and to figure out the spacers needed. I then had some plasma cut in steel, spacers turned on the lathe and I welded them up and finished them.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And finally complete.

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - April 03, 2016 09:59 pm UTC

nice!

Re: Winter Project - April 04, 2016 02:02 am UTC

Looks wicked man!! Pretty sweet setup you got for the for making that, turned out wicked!!

Re: Winter Project - April 04, 2016 06:56 am UTC

Purdy! Awesome fab work.
Posted By: Charles Lavoie

Re: Winter Project - April 04, 2016 02:09 pm UTC

Well done sir! Very nice.

Re: Winter Project - April 04, 2016 05:26 pm UTC

1st mod/upgrade of the year complete, swapped out the GM 3 bar sensor for a Omni Power 4 bar and fired her up no problem.

Somehow i missed it. Congrats on the first start of 2016.
Are you helping her idle until warm up? you can adjust higher idle via BaseTipInAdj in DirectAccess tab to have her idle 1500/2000 until specific coolant temperature of your choice.

[Linked Image]

^ wow! Is there anything you cannot do? well done! You can help RTMRacing restock their brackets tongue

...bigger=better right?

^ Correct me if i'm wrong but your calipers are too small for larger rotors and old pads does not cover all the rotor surface. They most likely run cooler but pedal response should not change? I am not expert so feel free to school me on this embarassed
[Linked Image]

^ Will they clear Evo 8 17" rim?

Re: Winter Project - April 04, 2016 06:08 pm UTC

Are you helping her idle until warm up? you can adjust higher idle via BaseTipInAdj in DirectAccess tab to have her idle 1500/2000 until specific coolant temperature of your choice.

Yes, this was just a first start, I'll deal with that when the time comes.

^ wow! Is there anything you cannot do? well done! You can help RTMRacing restock their brackets tongue

I like challenges and have a lot of resources at hand. I do what needs to be done.

^ Correct me if i'm wrong but your calipers are too small for larger rotors and old pads does not cover all the rotor surface. They most likely run cooler but pedal response should not change? I am not expert so feel free to school me on this embarassed

^ Will they clear Evo 8 17" rim?

Most likely but this kit was mostly sold with 13" so I'm not reinventing anything here.

And yes, no issues with clearance.

Re: Winter Project - April 04, 2016 06:41 pm UTC

Yes, this was just a first start, I'll deal with that when the time comes.

Correction!!! not BaseTipInAdj (that's for SD throttle response) but FastIdleMTISCPos as show here:
[Linked Image]

Most likely but this kit was mostly sold with 13" so I'm not reinventing anything here.

And yes, no issues with clearance.

tu

Re: Winter Project - April 05, 2016 01:36 am UTC

Nice welding work there Jason! tu

Looks clean.

Although, I'm curious, how thick are the brackets from RTM?

Re: Winter Project - April 05, 2016 01:49 am UTC

Nice welding work there Jason! tu

Looks clean.

Although, I'm curious, how thick are the brackets from RTM?

Thanks Mike.

Theirs are 1/2" thick but also a different design that's much narrower.

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - April 11, 2016 11:57 pm UTC

Maxed out my tax exemption on the way back from Florida laugh

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - April 12, 2016 01:19 am UTC

parts parts parts.....whats in those boxes tongue

Re: Winter Project - April 13, 2016 03:48 pm UTC

That's looking pretty good.

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - April 13, 2016 07:44 pm UTC

those cobra brakes fills in so nice ...yai!

Re: Winter Project - April 30, 2016 02:39 am UTC

So to bring this thread up to date;

Staging brake is all installed and plumbed in.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I've tried out the brakes, almost ate glass lol. They look so good with the fresh wheels.

[Linked Image]

Some of you have seen the little oil res I built,

[Linked Image]

Well it's my solution to my girdled rear diff cover, which isn't baffled like the stock cover. I've messed around with various vents but they always leak. So this should solve it once and for all.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As the diff heats up the oil should push into the can and then as it cools get pulled back to the diff like how the coolant res works.

Also installed my Innovate MTX-D boost gauge. I did a review video for anyone interested.

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - April 30, 2016 05:54 pm UTC

Looks good Jason, how does that get plumed into the existing lines?

Re: Winter Project - May 01, 2016 01:51 am UTC

There's a few options, some people T the rear brake lines and have it lock up the rear wheels only. I took the other options which is plumbing it into the proportioning valve, which locks up one front and the opposite side rear wheel and also doesn't require cutting or flaring brake lines. Just requires a few metric brake fitting to -an adapters.

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - May 02, 2016 09:34 am UTC

So you still T it in though? or are your breaks no working liek they usually do now?

Re: Winter Project - May 02, 2016 11:42 am UTC

No T's. This intercepts the line from the master to the prop valve, then back to the prop valve, so the brakes work 100% normally.

Re: Winter Project - May 02, 2016 01:27 pm UTC

Ah ok I got you! So when the staging brake is not in use fluid passes through it, right?

Re: Winter Project - May 02, 2016 01:41 pm UTC

Exactly.

Re: Winter Project - May 02, 2016 02:02 pm UTC

Thank you sir!

Re: Winter Project - May 02, 2016 02:16 pm UTC

FYI it works awesome for brake boosting too lol

Re: Winter Project - May 02, 2016 02:33 pm UTC

Really pushing that clutch hard eh!! haha

Re: Winter Project - May 02, 2016 07:37 pm UTC

Also installed my Innovate MTX-D boost gauge. I did a review video for anyone interested.

Nicely done Jason, the video did not load in my browser (Chrome & IE) so i had to extract the link by "quoting" your post. Here is the raw link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GxfXJFLUng

Re: Winter Project - May 02, 2016 07:59 pm UTC

Ya I don't know what's up with that, it worked at first and now I can't edit it.

Re: Winter Project - May 26, 2016 01:56 pm UTC

I was going to order one of those flexible mounts for my tablet but decided last night just to fab up something. All made from aluminum angle. It screws into the hvac bezel, on the underside so even if I remove it the holes won't be visible.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - May 26, 2016 01:59 pm UTC

That's slick, did you put some foam in the bezel or is the aluminum tight enough to hold it.

Re: Winter Project - May 26, 2016 02:41 pm UTC

No foam, its tight and doesn't move at all.

Re: Winter Project - May 26, 2016 03:08 pm UTC

Pretty slick and clean but it blocks the HVAC controls which kinda kills the whole 'function' aspect in all but a pure race car. What is nice is that it doesn't get in the way of a passenger at all smile

Re: Winter Project - May 26, 2016 03:11 pm UTC

Takes 2 seconds to pull it out to have access to the HVAC. How much to I use the HVAC in the summer anyway? I don't have A/C so almost never. My HVAC is the window switch.

Re: Winter Project - May 26, 2016 03:33 pm UTC

Like this mod! Clean and super functional! Well done Jason! tu

Re: Winter Project - May 26, 2016 03:54 pm UTC

My HVAC is the window switch.

2-60 air conditioning!

2 windows down, 60mph rotflmao

Re: Winter Project - May 26, 2016 06:19 pm UTC

How much to I use the HVAC in the summer anyway?

Cool summer evenings I love cranking the heat and both windows down. I like being toasty.

Re: Winter Project - May 26, 2016 07:24 pm UTC

I do the same occasionally, still can.

Like I said, it just slides in and out so it's not like I lost the use of anything.

Re: Winter Project - May 27, 2016 03:29 pm UTC

Here's a little video demo of it.

Re: Winter Project - May 27, 2016 04:34 pm UTC

Well done! Ok.. I like it.

Lot more stable than mine will be in a hard corner

Re: Winter Project - August 01, 2016 07:16 pm UTC

Seeing Jay's thread reminded me to post that I installed my Evo 8 Recaros a few weeks ago

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - August 02, 2016 01:12 pm UTC

That... now that is proper. How are you liking them?

Re: Winter Project - August 02, 2016 02:04 pm UTC

Very much so, much more firm than the 2g seats. Does for sure take a bit of getting used to. I'm looking forward to not scalding the backs of my legs when wearing shorts as well.

Re: Winter Project - August 02, 2016 02:15 pm UTC

You'll probably find them a lot more comfortable too on long trips!

Re: Winter Project - August 02, 2016 02:24 pm UTC

I've ridden to the shootout in them, they're decent.

Re: Winter Project - August 02, 2016 02:50 pm UTC

You make your own brackets?

Re: Winter Project - August 02, 2016 03:43 pm UTC

Congrats, looks really good. I will also get a set once i find one

Re: Winter Project - August 02, 2016 03:50 pm UTC

I drilled out the rivets on the 2g seat brackets and welded them to the Evo rails.

Re: Winter Project - August 02, 2016 07:46 pm UTC

That would have been easy.. I had to bend cut and weld to get my brackets to work. And mine don't slide.

Have you tried sitting with a helmet yet?

Re: Winter Project - August 02, 2016 07:53 pm UTC

*easy* yeah, lol. I have about 8 hours of work into modding the brackets. I tacked, cut apart and readjusted the drivers seat about 6 times before I got it where I like. The last time was to move it over a 1/4" to the center.

Yeah I test fitted it with my helmet on, it's tight but feels good, they do sit slightly higher than the dsm seats.

Re: Winter Project - October 18, 2016 03:07 am UTC

So, most know a month or so ago I was out attempting to nail down my 10 second pass, I made 3 passes, made a new personal best of 11.2 @ 128, decided to give it a couple more psi of boost and I think the combination of hot lapping the car and a trans that was initially shimmed tightly, now well worn in after 3 years of abuse and lots of mileage finally gave up, took out 4th which also took out the casing.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Still managed to pull off a 12.2 @ 124 with the trans broken lol.

Sourced a replacement 90 gearset and while I waited for that to arrive, I decided to coat the casing.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Gearset arrived, pressed off my double syncro 1-3 gears which were still good and put them on the new intermediate shaft and got it assembled and took my measurements for the shims. I ordered the shims through Tim Zimmer(TMZ Performance), he got them to me in 2 days flat.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - October 18, 2016 03:19 am UTC

I also decided with this tightly shimmed trans that I would give it the best chance possible by installing active cooling in it. The actual pump and rad will be a winter project but it was now or never basically for getting the fittings installed in the trans. I chose to direct cooled oil onto 3rd and 4th gear, the two that are the most common to break. I installed a 4 port manifold for the option of expansion in the future if it all works out well.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I will pick up a Tilton electric oil pump and radiator over the winter and plumb that in. Not sure if I might add a temperature switch to activate the pump or maybe just have it run manually, that is still to be decided.

Fast forward to a week ago, took the car back to the track for the last SSPA event, plan was to go all out, competition wise and to get that damn 10! I had done a few pulls on the highway at 35 psi and the car felt very good, I was pumped.

First time up at the line:

It was a very loud bang from within the car, when I exited the car I saw liquid on the track, my heart sank and thought the worse, the trans had blown again. To my surprise, it was coolant. The good news is the trans held the launch, the bad news is the rear axle did not and I had a coolant leak somewhere. I noticed in the video a good puff of white smoke, which initially I just shrugged off as typical water vapor, as it was pretty cold out and other cars were puffing white vapor as well.

I had brought a spare axle with me and I would have just swapped it and continued on if it wasn't for the leak. After pushing the car back to the lot I looked it over, the coolant appeared to be coming from behind the t-stat housing, I figured in pulling the trans and whatnot, perhaps the gasket got disturbed so I gave the bolts a little more torque and started the car up, ran normal, no leaks but decided not to risk running it again. The axle was also broken inside the boot so from past experience I figured it would be ok to drive home easily(welded center diff). Got about 10 minutes into the trek home and the broken axle was rattling around like crazy, so in typical dsm spirit, stopped off in a Home Depot parking lot and pulled out the broken shaft lol.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Back on the road in about 15 minutes with no more noise and still no coolant leak.

Re: Winter Project - October 18, 2016 03:35 am UTC

Damn man you can't catch a break this year! That's a much easier fix than a stripped 4th though, I'm pretty sure you'll be back out before the season ends wink

Re: Winter Project - October 18, 2016 03:52 am UTC

After I got home I swapped out the axle and resealed the t-stat housing. I took the car for an easy drive and all seemed well.

[Linked Image]

The next morning I took the car to work in the morning and gave it some boost, when I arrived at work, it was leaking coolant pretty bad once again. At this point it was time to pull the head. I found the culprit.

[Linked Image]

After draining the coolant into a pail and it sitting for a while, there were several little globs of oil sitting on top of the coolant, this almost went really bad, no signs of coolant in the oil at all, so that's good.

While tearing it apart, I believe I found the cause of the head gasket failure, when I pulled the vac line to the AFPR, gas came out. This is the second time the diaphragm in this Fuelab AFPR has failed on me.

[Linked Image]

So as of tonight, the car is all back together, with a Felpro composite once again, just waiting for the new diaphragm to arrive on Wednesday. Plan is to throw in some L19 head studs over the winter to help prevent this again.

Re: Winter Project - October 18, 2016 03:54 am UTC

Damn man you can't catch a break this year! That's a much easier fix than a stripped 4th though, I'm pretty sure you'll be back out before the season ends wink

As much as I'd love to go back out, I might hold off.

I'd really like to go back to back to a 4 spider center diff and pick up a set of slicks. We'll see how the weather pans out. For now at least I'll be able to get in some nice fall cruising.

Re: Winter Project - October 18, 2016 01:40 pm UTC

Good thing you caught all that before something worse came from it.
Is fuel lab replacing the diaphragm for you?

Re: Winter Project - October 18, 2016 02:08 pm UTC

Nope, this is the second time I replaced it. I'll just add it to the yearly maintenance from now on to put in a new one, $20 is worth it for peace of mind.

Re: Winter Project - October 18, 2016 02:11 pm UTC

Nope, this is the second time I replaced it. I'll just add it to the yearly maintenance from now on to put in a new one, $20 is worth it for peace of mind.

Forgive my ignorance, but how does a failed diaphragm cause your head gasket to fail?

Re: Winter Project - October 18, 2016 03:17 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Ian Burnside

Forgive my ignorance, but how does a failed diaphragm cause your head gasket to fail?

Massive drop in fuel pressure=lean condition/higher combustion chamber pressures.

Re: Winter Project - October 18, 2016 03:41 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Ian Burnside

Massive drop in fuel pressure=lean condition/higher combustion chamber pressures.

Gotcha. I was thinking about it all wrong.

Re: Winter Project - May 01, 2017 01:44 pm UTC

Bout time I update my thread

2017 Update!

Pulled the motor at the beginning of April to start my upgrades.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - May 01, 2017 01:44 pm UTC

First upgrade was to remove the welded center diff and replace it with a 4 spider.

New cross shaft from TMZ Performance

[Linked Image]

Diff housing before machining

[Linked Image]

Housing after machining

[Linked Image]

Oil scoops added

[Linked Image]

All parts ready to go

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Finished

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - May 01, 2017 01:45 pm UTC

Next mod, Kiggly oil pickup mod, helps reduce oil starvation.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Installed

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - May 01, 2017 01:45 pm UTC

Kiggle Racing valve springs

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Also installed a Kiggly HLA

[Linked Image]

And ARP L19 head studs

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - May 01, 2017 01:46 pm UTC

One of the last thing to do was to change my exhaust. Want to look as stock as possible.

I opened the OEM GSX muffler and change the inlet to 3" and 2x 2.5" outlet and stock top still fits perfect.

[Linked Image]

3" Aluminum stock

[Linked Image]

3" V-bands

[Linked Image]

Making a jig from the old exhaust

[Linked Image]

First I cut the downpipe and welded on the steel v-band

[Linked Image]

Now connected to the downpipe with an aluminum v-band and first section made

[Linked Image]

Making the final section to the muffler

[Linked Image]

Sandblast and ceramic paint

[Linked Image]

Installed

[Linked Image]

All done with oem tips installed

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - May 01, 2017 01:46 pm UTC

Re: Winter Project - May 01, 2017 02:03 pm UTC

Nice work Jason!! Why do we need to machine the housing?

Re: Winter Project - May 01, 2017 02:18 pm UTC

Nice work Jason!! Why do we need to machine the housing?

Thanks.

Because there isn't room on the other axis for the added gears. I also had it machined for double washers.

Re: Winter Project - May 01, 2017 02:19 pm UTC

Do you have more pics of the dissected muffler? It's cool you hacked apart the stocker.

Re: Winter Project - May 01, 2017 02:21 pm UTC

Ah ok cool!! Wicked job!

Re: Winter Project - May 01, 2017 05:57 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Lucian Marta
Do you have more pics of the dissected muffler? It's cool you hacked apart the stocker.

I do, I'll get them up later

Re: Winter Project - May 01, 2017 06:44 pm UTC

Okay sounds good smile

Re: Winter Project - May 02, 2017 03:19 am UTC

Could have saved you some hassle on the muffler, Vibrant makes a very nice 3" in, dual 2.5" out universal muffler. Used this when I switched to a stock looking muffler years back.

I wanted as stock looking as possible, the Vibrant muffler size is very close to the stock size, they sell tips that are the same size & slant as OEM, had these welded on staggered just like the factory setup, then bead blasted the whole muffler to ditch the polished SS for a nice satin finish. Have had DSM owners not realise it wasn't a stock muffler wink

Re: Winter Project - May 02, 2017 03:53 am UTC

Ya I knew that muffler existed but I kinda rage built this one after having to deal with court 3 times over the winter. Fabbing up something to stick it to the man while pissed off is very soothing laugh

Re: Winter Project - May 02, 2017 04:15 am UTC

Ha, that is exactly why I went with the stock looking setup, probably 7-8 years back now. Had an Apexi N1 that was super quiet, but regularly got pulled over for it. Talked my way out of a ticket 3 times & was given 3 or 4 at other times (all thrown out). Had enough, went to a stock looking setup (that was much louder) & haven't been bothered since tu

Re: Winter Project - May 02, 2017 12:10 pm UTC

It's crazy how much is just the "looks". Doesn't matter how loud it is, really. If it is big, shiny and round, you're getting a ticket. With that being said, it's also easy to get away with running an open downpipe as long as you hang your rusty stock muffler at the back as a decoy smile

Re: Winter Project - May 02, 2017 01:02 pm UTC

That's very true, I'm sure this is actually louder than the Thermal was but it's got that all important Mitsu emblem embossed on it and the SQ's famous "wire check" won't pass through it so I'm in the clear. One last thing I want to do is get the aluminum heat shield off a cat and tack it to the aluminum mid section so it looks all legit. Although last time the cop asked if I had a cat and I said look for yourself, he pointed at the flex pipe and said, yup, looks good.
Posted By: Isaque Nunes

Re: Winter Project - May 02, 2017 02:17 pm UTC

Could have saved you some hassle on the muffler, Vibrant makes a very nice 3" in, dual 2.5" out universal muffler. Used this when I switched to a stock looking muffler years back.

I wanted as stock looking as possible, the Vibrant muffler size is very close to the stock size, they sell tips that are the same size & slant as OEM, had these welded on staggered just like the factory setup, then bead blasted the whole muffler to ditch the polished SS for a nice satin finish. Have had DSM owners not realise it wasn't a stock muffler wink

I have this Vibrant exhaust you speak of! It's awesome!
Posted By: Mike Lane

Re: Winter Project - May 02, 2017 02:56 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Isaque Nunes

I have this Vibrant exhaust you speak of! It's awesome!

Same with my magnaflow 😉 but Jason just looks like he is having way too much fun

Re: Winter Project - May 07, 2017 10:02 pm UTC

Decided I'd clean up these oem tips a little.

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - July 04, 2017 01:31 pm UTC

So last month I had a little incident on the half mile. I ran the same tune I did last fall when I ran 11.2 on the 1/4 mile, mostly because it's been an extremely busy year so far and haven't had a chance to do much with the car. I guess 14 degrees peak timing on 35 psi with standard ARP's was just a bit too much for the Felpro composite. Side by side with a ZR1 and I wasn't lifting, maybe 100 or so feet before the finish I lost power and a cloud of steam poured out. Blew off the lower rad hose, ballooned the rad and blew off the coolant line to the oil cooler.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Melted a small spot in the head but I managed to salvage it. This is the original head to my car and probably the last original drivetrain part in the car. I ground out the melted spot till I hit fresh material and welded it back in, leaving plenty of material to make sure there were no low spots after getting the head resurfaced.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Like new

[Linked Image]

OEM MLS this time around.

[Linked Image]

She's been all back together for a few weeks now, went and did the first try on the 1/4 mile a week ago, 11.5 @ 126 for the first pass of the year, revving it out to 8500, then the rain moved in. Can't wait to go back and turn the boost back up and see what she'll really do this year.

[Linked Image]

Re: Winter Project - July 04, 2017 01:52 pm UTC

Impressive to see all that on the stock 7 bolt. I hope you get it into the 10's. How's the new exhaust treating you? No more hassles I assume?

Re: Winter Project - July 04, 2017 02:21 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Lucian Marta
Impressive to see all that on the stock 7 bolt. I hope you get it into the 10's. How's the new exhaust treating you? No more hassles I assume?

It's actually been a built 6 bolt for 2 years now. 7 bolt was tired with low compression, so I took the opportunity to do a little upgrade. My real issue is lack of time to do anything with the car lately.

Cops have eyed the car a few times, haven't been pulled over yet. I pretty sure it's louder than before lol.

Re: Winter Project - July 04, 2017 02:22 pm UTC

Haha that's great to hear Jason!! Looks great!

Re: Winter Project - July 05, 2017 02:45 pm UTC

Well I must've been sleeping through that entire time period shocked

Re: Winter Project - July 07, 2017 04:06 am UTC

It's actually been a built 6 bolt for 2 years now. 7 bolt was tired with low compression, so I took the opportunity to do a little upgrade.

I kinda wish it would still be a 7 bolt ))
© 2024 Club DSM Canada