Insuring older imports

Posted By: chuck roach

Insuring older imports - March 01, 2017 10:10 pm UTC

I am curious as to how members with 90 or even any 1g DSM galant or Colt are insuring their vehicles.
Last year I had a hard time insuring my 89 Colt. Classic car insurance won't insure it due to being valued under $3500, being an import and having four doors.
So it got insured as a daily. I had to have it safetied in order to be able to have insurance. Most insurance companies wouldn't even look at it.
Renewal is up and premium jumped up over 20%. Typical insurance bull xxxx.
Going to have the Colt appraised this year after paint.
What are the members doing for insurance then?

Posted By: Bryan Lawrence

Re: Insuring older imports - March 01, 2017 10:16 pm UTC

I am through Grant (old board member) mainly because with one email I can put my car on parked insurance which is only 10 or so dollars a month.

Some reviews on Grant: http://www.ca.dsm.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=417551

Keep us updated on if you find classic car insurance as I am sure there may be some who are interested (including myself) mainly because like you said once I do make it so I can drive I am paying daily insurance rates.
Posted By: Stephen Richardson

Re: Insuring older imports - March 01, 2017 11:49 pm UTC

I am with Grant awsell. Haggarty hardly will let you drive your car anywhere cant take it to work cant take it the store cant park it on the street.....

Re: Insuring older imports - March 01, 2017 11:56 pm UTC

Gredfern@allstate.ca if you wish to contact him. Great guy in my books.
Posted By: Lucian Marta

Re: Insuring older imports - March 02, 2017 12:23 am UTC

I'm with Allstate too and they're really good at insuring anything ive had to throw at them. Not through grant, just the local office where I live but no issues and they've always taken good care of me.
Posted By: Guillaume Berton

Re: Insuring older imports - March 02, 2017 04:31 am UTC

I cross my fingers, best insurance tongue

Intact here, but Brampton rates, so I'm out of the running in any of the category :S
Posted By: Adam Grenon

Re: Insuring older imports - March 02, 2017 01:11 pm UTC

I deal with Grant for everything including my house. Top service, like Bryan said, on email or text to the guy and it's done. I think I have maybe had to sign one form in 3 years.

I have my 94' insured, with collision even through Allstate.

It looks like Haggerty has a more flexible option, including being able to drive it to work etc.
Posted By: Mike Lane

Re: Insuring older imports - March 03, 2017 01:11 pm UTC

I gotta find someone who won't beef me for being highly modified possibly including a half cage in the back. My best friends dad insures my stock cars cheap but he has been weary on the Eclipse so we ll see. Gotta make sure no one screws me before I do a rear rollbar

Re: Insuring older imports - March 07, 2017 02:48 am UTC

Thanks for the input guys.
I am currently with Allstate as a daily. Last year they were the best rates for me as well on my other vehicles and properties. Runner up was the Co-operaters.
Gotta go shopping again. I was told last year the car had to be valued over $3500 to be considered for classic thru silverwheels.
Unfortunately the Colt is worth nothing in the real world.
I will keep posted with my findings.

Re: Insuring older imports - March 01, 2018 03:20 am UTC

Update. Last summer (Aug. 2017) I had the car painted, cleaned up inside out, got it appraised and now with classic car insurance costing me $140 for the year. There are a lot of restrictions, but I only drive the colt two or three times a month so it's perfect for me.
That premium is for a car valued under $10k.
Posted By: Lucian Marta

Re: Insuring older imports - March 01, 2018 01:34 pm UTC

That is something I should look into for my 1993 this year.
Posted By: Bryan Lawrence

Re: Insuring older imports - March 01, 2018 02:20 pm UTC

That's fantastic, was just looking into to this.
Who are you with.
I was told hagerty has a list of approved appraisers that you have to use or you will get denied.

Re: Insuring older imports - March 09, 2018 11:26 am UTC

https://www.zehrinsurance.com/vintage-cars/

Re: Insuring older imports - March 12, 2018 02:49 pm UTC

Thats the Brokerage but who is the Insurance company?

Hagarty in Canada is insured by Aviva

Re: Insuring older imports - April 08, 2018 03:41 pm UTC

Sorry I haven't replied sooner, not on here much.
The insurer is Echeleon.
© 2024 Club DSM Canada