Neutral side to side movement

Posted By: Adam Grenon

Neutral side to side movement - November 13, 2007 12:52 pm UTC

Ok so the AWD I have that I am working on right now, I'm trying to figure out why the side to side selection movement is really stiff. I have removed the cables so it is not them. I have sprayed some PB blaster to try to free up the mechanism on the tranny. Almost feels like its something internal. 5 spd btw.

Any idea what could affect this?
Posted By: Tim Grechin

Re: Neutral side to side movement - November 13, 2007 04:13 pm UTC

Rails or forks. When I changed my center diff, my side to side movement was really stiff as well. Over time it got looser until it was normal again.

Was the transmission rebuilt recently?
Posted By: Adam Grenon

Re: Neutral side to side movement - November 13, 2007 04:17 pm UTC

No its been sitting for approx 2 years. Engine and tranny are coming out, so I guess I will have to crack it open or see if I can work it some more, perhaps things are dry in there from sitting.
Posted By: Tim Grechin

Re: Neutral side to side movement - November 13, 2007 04:28 pm UTC

I'm sure that over time it'll lube itself up. I revived a 92 TSi AWD last summer that was sitting since 2001. It had the same problem. After 4 or 5 days, it felt better and better. I daily drove it to work and back before selling it and by that time, it was barely sticky anymore.
Posted By: Kevin Jenkins

Re: Neutral side to side movement - December 01, 2007 12:49 am UTC

I had the same problem after letting mine sit for about 8 months. Like Tim said, it cleared up after about a week of driving.
© 2024 Club DSM Canada