1990 Transmission Gears

Posted By: Greg Kelly

1990 Transmission Gears - July 22, 2013 12:42 am UTC

So I have been having a rough go with transmissions, I just blew up #4 last week. I have destroyed a Jacks Premium and a Shep stage 4 plus two stock ones over the past 5 years or so.

I currently have 5 transmissions in various states of disrepair, plus the broken one in the car. I want to make one good one out of what I have. The only decent gearset I have is from a 1990. I had always heard these were weak and were junk, but lately i've been hearing they are the "super secret" HD gearset that Jack's is offering. Anyone have any input on this? There was a thread going about it on the ECMLink forum but it seems to have mysteriously disappeared...

I'd like to use this gearset in a 2G case to get my car back on the go. I will replace all the synchros and bearings in the process and properly shim everything as well. Any info about this setup is appreciated!

This is my backyard right now..

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Salomon Ponte

Re: 1990 Transmission Gears - July 22, 2013 01:39 am UTC

From what I've been told, the 3/4 in the 1990 trannies are the HD/indestructible ones, but I believe the first is weaker. Also, these are the single synchro 1st/2nd, but Jacks offers the upgraded double synchro.

Reza/Tim Zimmer/Jacks/etc. would probably be the best people to ask.
© 2024 Club DSM Canada