Center diff in the car

Posted By: Bryan Lawrence

Center diff in the car - May 01, 2017 12:37 pm UTC

Wondering if I should pull the trans or if I should try swapping the center diff while it's still in the car. Also what parts do I need, is there any gaskets that will need replacing?
Posted By: Mike Kuttschrutter

Re: Center diff in the car - May 01, 2017 12:55 pm UTC

If you've never had it apart, just take it all out and do a tear down to inspect. Never know what you'll find in there.

When my VC exploded many moons ago I took it all out and ended up also finding a shift fork that was broke, along with lots of crud.

As far ask gaskets, just some gasket maker in a tube.

Have fun!

Re: Center diff in the car - May 01, 2017 02:14 pm UTC

No this is Shandon's trans so I am expecting it to be pretty nice in there but we shall see.

Ok cool will drop it and inspect!

Haha will try!
Posted By: Jason Drew

Re: Center diff in the car - May 01, 2017 03:36 pm UTC

Other than the axle seals and input/output shaft seals there are no gaskets in the trans.

I would definitely pull it. Considering how much power he made, I would say there is some definite bearing wear and it wouldn't hurt to re-shim it, especially if you're switching diffs with different bearings and wear. The pre-loads is basically what keeps it together.

Use Permatex grey high torque sealant on all the case sections and clean every surface really well.

Re: Center diff in the car - May 01, 2017 03:44 pm UTC

Will have to do some googling on reshimming and will also need to figure out where I can source all this stuff from.

Thanks Jason!

Ok will grab some grey, I only have red here.
Posted By: Jason Drew

Re: Center diff in the car - May 01, 2017 04:34 pm UTC

Hit me up when you need the specs and the how to.

Re: Center diff in the car - May 01, 2017 04:43 pm UTC

Perfect, thank you sir.

Going to open the donor first so I get a nice practice run then will pull the one in the car.
Posted By: Scott McIntyre

Re: Center diff in the car - May 04, 2017 04:46 pm UTC

I've swapped center diffs both with the transmission installed on the car and with the transmission removed completely. As said above, you're better off pulling the transmission. It's much much easier to work on that way.
© 2024 Club DSM Canada