Rear Differential Fluid(s)

Posted By: Jim Spurrell

Rear Differential Fluid(s) - May 15, 2017 05:17 pm UTC

Hey guys,

I've read through some older posts, just wondering what everyone is using in the rear vicious diff's these days? I've read some like the usual gear oil, but others use the Redline Heavy Shockproof. I mistakenly put the diaqueen LSD oil in there that I bought for my EVO diff setup but it's not installed yet lol, so I want to change it out for peace of mind. 1997 Talon, approx 400-500 hp when boost is turned up, I race 1/8 mile and slalom, it's not a daily driver. I'm leaning towards the Redline Heavy.

thoughts?

thanks! smile
Posted By: Jason Drew

Re: Rear Differential Fluid(s) - May 15, 2017 05:41 pm UTC

I run the Redline heavy, as are most guys drag racing. Both TMZ and TRE both recommend it for the rear diff.

Seems to be the go-to for anything other than driving in cold conditions.
Posted By: Jeremy Gilbert

Re: Rear Differential Fluid(s) - May 15, 2017 06:41 pm UTC

Heavy Shockproof is the general favourite, but there are indeed people who stick with a conventional 80w90 without trouble. I really don't find the Redline stuff too pricey though so that's what I run with.
Posted By: Daren Peacock

Re: Rear Differential Fluid(s) - May 17, 2017 01:13 am UTC

If I get this, you already put diaqueen fluid in your stock 2g LSD & your worried? If this is the case, I don't think I'd be too worried diaqueen is supposed to be pretty good stuff in general. I too ran HD shockproof in the stock LSD rear but switched to diaqueen when I went Evo rear diff/12plate upgrade.
Posted By: Reza Mirza

Re: Rear Differential Fluid(s) - May 17, 2017 04:29 am UTC

I've ran regular cheap GL5 gear oil in the rear till 420,000km on the original rear diff in my DSM. I finally smashed it last year on a launch with the car making 860 AWHP/ 700 ft lbs. That was shear power that broke it. I believe in non synthetic fluids for the driveline in a DSM. My DSM is a prime example of it and you will never see me run Redline fluids, nor do I recommend it for any DSM or Evo transmission that I build. Every transmission builder will have their own opinion 😊
Posted By: Mike Kuttschrutter

Re: Rear Differential Fluid(s) - May 17, 2017 02:16 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Reza Mirza
I've ran regular cheap GL5 gear oil in the rear till 420,000km on the original rear diff in my DSM. I finally smashed it last year on a launch with the car making 860 AWHP/ 700 ft lbs. That was shear power that broke it. I believe in non synthetic fluids for the driveline in a DSM. My DSM is a prime example of it and you will never see me run Redline fluids, nor do I recommend it for any DSM or Evo transmission that I build. Every transmission builder will have their own opinion 😊

tu tu Just what I wanted to hear before filling up my diff.
© 2024 Club DSM Canada