Power steering cooling lines

Posted By: Mike Eng

Power steering cooling lines - August 04, 2014 11:26 pm UTC

Is there really a necessity to run them? I can't see how much air cools it with the fmic in the way.

Thoughts?

Posted By: Bryan Lawrence

Re: Power steering cooling lines - August 04, 2014 11:33 pm UTC

I don;t think so, the 1g ones just have a metal pipe that runs infront of the condenser.
Posted By: Andrew Trapp

Re: Power steering cooling lines - August 04, 2014 11:33 pm UTC

Road racing, you might want to keep (out of my expertise though). Many many people run dailies without it. I plan on shortening mine this winter.
Posted By: Stephan Tanchak

Re: Power steering cooling lines - August 04, 2014 11:44 pm UTC

For drag, run a cooler for the fuel if you're gonna run a massive pump (Aeromotive a1000 or similar).

Fuel gets REALLY hot as I learned from last time when draining my lines at the track.

Stephan

Re: Power steering cooling lines - August 05, 2014 03:00 am UTC

Deleted! smile

Makes life a lot easier, and I'm trying to tidy up as much as I can before I button everything back up.

Thanks guys!
Posted By: Ghislain Goudreau

Re: Power steering cooling lines - August 06, 2014 02:22 am UTC

Had that one deleted on my 2G. Took a spirited drive to Montreal from Trenton. About half way the Pressure Hose blew up. I also looked in the reservoir to see how much Fluid left into it and found the White Plastic Strainer melted.

For a DD that does not see too much "heat" you might be fine but you might encounter similar failure if you take the car out for a long spirited drive...

I used a piece of 3/8" Metal Tube and bent it to reproduce the 1G style of Cooler.

Been working fine for the past 10 years or so.

Ghislain
Posted By: Stephen Richardson

Re: Power steering cooling lines - August 06, 2014 02:43 am UTC

I shortened mine 15 years ago when it first started leaking. so it still gets some cooling. There's a reason why they are there and it's not just to add weight.
Posted By: Stephan Tanchak

Re: Power steering cooling lines - August 06, 2014 02:51 am UTC

Right. They are there to add weight and make it difficult to install a front mount tongue.
Posted By: Stephen Richardson

Re: Power steering cooling lines - August 06, 2014 02:57 am UTC

Yeah maybe. But if you can fit pusher fans between your rad and FMIC and a little 3/8's steel line has you confused... might be time to throw in the towel.

Re: Power steering cooling lines - August 06, 2014 03:05 am UTC

Lol towels thrown.

I will just shorten it.

I actually just dismounted it from the rad support and before dropping the fluid at the reservoir I started thinking about checking what others had done. Hence this post. And glad I read your review Ghislain. As I do drive long trips.

I'll likely just make a horseshoe shaped steel tube after flaring the ends, and mount it to the driver side wheel well next to the newly installed 2010 mdx horns lol
Posted By: Jason Drew

Re: Power steering cooling lines - August 07, 2014 07:17 pm UTC

I'm still using the stock cooler line with my punishment racing FMIC, I re-bent it to fit a little better. I like the peace of mind for that 13 hour drive to Norwalk.
Posted By: Jay Stacey

Re: Power steering cooling lines - August 08, 2014 12:53 am UTC

I been running my rear mount power steering with no cooler for 2 summers and lots of abuse. Other then a few leaks I havent had a problem yet. I may be rebiulding my rack this winter so Ill see if it had any effects.
Posted By: Jason Drew

Re: Power steering cooling lines - August 08, 2014 02:19 am UTC

You don't drive it that far though, a couple hours of abuse is different than 10+ hours of continuous driving.
Posted By: Reza Mirza

Re: Power steering cooling lines - August 08, 2014 03:00 pm UTC

I am still running the OEM line between the rad and 4" FMIC. I just had to slightly reposition it so it would not touch anything.
Posted By: Jamie Valcamp

Re: Power steering cooling lines - August 22, 2014 04:28 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Reza Mirza
I am still running the OEM line between the rad and 4" FMIC. I just had to slightly reposition it so it would not touch anything.

Same here with no issues. If it ever goes, I will replace with something similar to stock but positioned for FMIC.
Posted By: Scott McIntyre

Re: Power steering cooling lines - August 27, 2014 12:57 pm UTC

Here's what I run:

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Re: Power steering cooling lines - August 27, 2014 01:15 pm UTC

Scott, what route do the lines run? it looks like in the picture that both lines are attached to the resevoir.
Posted By: Scott McIntyre

Re: Power steering cooling lines - August 27, 2014 02:21 pm UTC

Bottom line from the reservoir and the line that runs under the reservoir (i.e. same as factory routing)

[Linked Image]

The top line (with the white dots) does not go to the cooler.

Re: Power steering cooling lines - August 27, 2014 02:25 pm UTC

Oh ok thanks, I disconnected mine a while back and couldn't remember.
© 2024 Club DSM Canada