2g Upper Control arm

Posted By: Manny Sandhu

2g Upper Control arm - April 19, 2015 06:03 pm UTC

I was swapping the driver side upper control arm and through an exchange of texts with Jeremy i'd like to get to the bottom of this question

The upper control arm has 2 vertical fasteners that are bolted up from the top of the towers in the engine bay and those vertical fasteners are attached to the control arm as well

My question arises at that fastening point

When i swapped the balljoint on my passenger side i had noticed the only pivot those vertical fasteners has was the flex from the bushing in there and even getting 2-3cm movement needed a good amount of strength

Now i ask is that the correct point to tighten the vertical fasteners to the control arm or should they be able to pivot along the fasteners somewhat freely
Posted By: Ghislain Goudreau

Re: 2g Upper Control arm - April 19, 2015 06:56 pm UTC

Yes; The Control Arm should pivot freely.

These two vertical fasteners are actually called Anchor Bolts.

You can actually get some that allow for Camber Adjustment. I posted about 8 to 10 years ago 'bout that. The one I got were from either MOOG or Ingalls.

Hope this helps.

Ghislain
Posted By: Jay Stacey

Re: 2g Upper Control arm - April 19, 2015 06:57 pm UTC

Yes they are stiff.
Posted By: Daren Peacock

Re: 2g Upper Control arm - April 20, 2015 04:02 am UTC

Its been a long time since I had control arms with stock bushing, but unless I'm having a brain fart, the OEM style rubber bushing will just have the give of the bushings themselves. If you have urethane bushings or some of the aftermarket adjustable bushings, then they move freely.

OEM suspension bushings, that have give from the bushing itself are all torqued when the car is on the ground, under it normal loaded state.
Posted By: Mike Eng

Re: 2g Upper Control arm - April 20, 2015 04:14 am UTC

Yep.

Simulated load.

And the Ingalls camber kit is the one I use that replaces the anchor bolts.
Posted By: Scott McIntyre

Re: 2g Upper Control arm - April 20, 2015 04:02 pm UTC

Manny, torque them to spec and call it a day.

I had your same concerns back in the day and under-torqued those bottom bolts so that the arm would swing more freely, but the nut ended up loosening and fell off, followed by the bolt backing out... Not good. At least I was at an autoslalom when it happened so I avoided a disaster.

Moral to the story, torque them to spec (even if the control arm seems to bind).
© 2024 Club DSM Canada