Sway bar Broken bolts

Posted By: Manny Sandhu

Sway bar Broken bolts - December 05, 2016 04:26 pm UTC

Was removing my power steering rack yesterday and when I went to open the bolts holding the front sway bar to the body one nut on either end snapped off but one spot it seems to be welded instead of having a bolt there I'm only assuming it was previously broken and repaired that route

Is the consensus on this repair drill and retap?
Posted By: Bryan Lawrence

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - December 05, 2016 05:42 pm UTC

Can you post a picture?
Posted By: Garret Sliva

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - December 05, 2016 07:37 pm UTC

Yeah I am not quite sure I understand exactly what the exact issue is here. Yes for the broken bolts the best option would most likely be drill out and retap / repair. Unsure exactly what you are referring to regarding the welding bit however.

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - December 05, 2016 07:57 pm UTC

Agreed with Garret, was looking for clarification on the welding part.
Posted By: Jay Stacey

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - December 05, 2016 08:48 pm UTC

Each mount only has 1 bolt. The other side is slot fitted. Which with a bit of rust.. Could look and act like a weld. I don't know if you can even get a drill in there tho.
Posted By: Garret Sliva

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - December 06, 2016 02:50 pm UTC

Thats true of a 1g, but 2g's use two bolts per bracket.
Posted By: Alex Akachinskiy

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - December 06, 2016 03:33 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Manny Sandhu
Was removing my power steering rack yesterday and when I went to open the bolts holding the front sway bar to the body one nut on either end snapped off but one spot it seems to be welded instead of having a bolt there I'm only assuming it was previously broken and repaired that route

Is the consensus on this repair drill and retap?

I also replaced my leaky PS rack with rebuilt unit.
[Linked Image]

Regarding broken bolts/bad threads. I just swapped entire subframe with fresh unit and replaced old bolts/nuts with new.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Dropping it wasn't so bad, it was 4 17mm nuts and 2 bolts.
If you have time and patience, you could get yours repaired and also cleaned while it's out. However, you need to be careful when removing those nuts, i used plenty of heat to break mine loose.

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - December 06, 2016 04:24 pm UTC

Sway bar http://iob.imgur.com/uYGg/E4TVxvbbTy

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - December 06, 2016 04:25 pm UTC

Other side I can clearly identify a bolt

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - December 06, 2016 04:40 pm UTC

Yeah I would just grind it off so it clean like the one that snapped and drill and tap both.

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - December 06, 2016 06:10 pm UTC

Figured Alex's approach would make Bryan's approach much easier so I went about that

But now I've got the 2 bolts pretty much spinning in the same spot and I'm only able to turn it with a breaker bar impact gun won't even budge em and one of the nuts upon any attempt to turn it loose is not spinning the stud along with it

I will replace the bushings but what's the least pita way to go about removing these 2 bolts and 1 nut

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - December 06, 2016 06:40 pm UTC

Figured Alex's approach would make Bryan's approach much easier so I went about that

But now I've got the 2 bolts pretty much spinning in the same spot and I'm only able to turn it with a breaker bar impact gun won't even budge em and one of the nuts upon any attempt to turn it loose is not spinning the stud along with it

I will replace the bushings but what's the least pita way to go about removing these 2 bolts and 1 nut

[Linked Image]
Were you able to get 4 nuts out with big flat washers? You should do them first before removing last 2 17mm bolts. Be very careful not to damage studs.

Regarding two bolts, do one at the time. If you can't get first out than don't start the second. Did you use heat before attempting to turn them with breaker bar?

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - December 06, 2016 06:44 pm UTC

Got 3 of 4 of the washer nuts off the one closest to the passenger strut is spinning somewhat freely with the impact gun as I was turning it with ratchets initially when the stud wasn't spinning completely freely but once I couldn't get it any looser I resorted to impact gun

Heated it a bit

The 2 bolts I wasn't able to heat for too long as the propane finished

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - December 06, 2016 06:49 pm UTC

Got 3 of 4 of the washer nuts off the one closest to the passenger strut is spinning somewhat freely with the impact gun as I was turning it with ratchets initially when the stud wasn't spinning completely freely but once I couldn't get it any looser I resorted to impact gun

Heated it a bit

The 2 bolts I wasn't able to heat for too long as the propane finished

Does the 4th nut spin together with the stud?

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - December 06, 2016 06:54 pm UTC

Yes

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - December 06, 2016 07:08 pm UTC

Yes

Those studs have rectangular head that are part of the chassis frame. If one is spinning, you applied too much torque and rounded off head of a stud.

Need to stop at this point and think it through.
Clean the stud well, heat it, hold it with strong set of vicegrips and give another try. If that don't go consider aborting entire thing and put everything back they way it was.

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - December 06, 2016 07:51 pm UTC

Or getting a mig and tac weld it so that you can get it off.

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - December 06, 2016 08:10 pm UTC

No way to get to the top Bryan without cutting into the frame from the inside of the bay
Posted By: Stephen Richardson

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - December 06, 2016 09:10 pm UTC

You might be wanting to talk to a body shop.

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - December 06, 2016 09:13 pm UTC

So after you drop the frame can you get that bolt out? If so I would just grind it off and get a new one.
Posted By: Stephen Richardson

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - December 06, 2016 10:10 pm UTC

You will have to cut a hole in the unibody to gain access to the body stud.

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - December 06, 2016 11:55 pm UTC

My thought process is if I can get the subframe off I can hopefully weld that stud from the underside of the body with subframe off in hopes that will keep the stud solid and in place

I managed to after a lot of heating and patient and easy pushing with the breaker bar remove one of the 2 bolts. Tmmw I plan to see whether the same approach will remove the second bolt.

Then wire brush head and penetrating fluid the heck out of the remaining nut and with a.vice grip hopefully wiggle it loose and then with the appropriate guidance weld that stud back to the body

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - December 07, 2016 12:24 am UTC

Good luck! One problem let to another but it will be worth it at the end.
Here is driver side but should be similar to passenger side. Those studs have some play and thats perfectly normal.

[Linked Image]

You will need torque specs for reassembly. Here it is

[Linked Image]

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - December 07, 2016 03:48 pm UTC

Sub frame http://iob.imgur.com/uYGg/R4KwPYeNUy

Subframes off last bolt came out again with patience with a breaker bar and a lot of torching

The last nut whichs studs welds had broken loose i was able to heat ans grt the nut past the last threads but as you can see i used a dremel to cut the nut off finally but As you see in the pics I damaged a few of the last threads now I'm not sure if these threads were exposed when the subframe was installed but if someone can clarify if I should think about r3placing that stud or just clean the threads up.

To address the loose studs my plan is to weld them to the body from the outside. Basically the closest point to the body from the side you see in the pictures...unless someone can tell me why this may not be sqfe/recommended

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - December 07, 2016 05:11 pm UTC

I'm sure mitsu didn't weld those studs solid for a reason. Without a stud play, you may not be able to reinstall your subframe correcly. With only one nut/stud in question, i would not worry about it a lot. If other nuts/studs and bolts are solid, just go easy on the damaged stud and you should be good.

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - December 07, 2016 05:53 pm UTC

I would try and test it and see if it really needs play.

Also who is commenting on your photos, gives me a good laugh everytime I open it up and read it.

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - December 07, 2016 06:15 pm UTC

Alex one of the 4 studs is very solid in its place the other 3 you can flick and they will move very freely

Me and you both Bryan lol

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - December 07, 2016 08:34 pm UTC

If someone could lead to me in the right direction as to where I can find the front subframe bushings?

I've looked a bit and haven't yet found anything.

Master bushing kit doesn't include subframe bushings

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - December 07, 2016 08:42 pm UTC

Alex one of the 4 studs is very solid in its place the other 3 you can flick and they will move very freely

Me and you both Bryan lol

I may have used "solid" inappropriately. From factory, all four studs should have slack in all directions and that's normal. Correct me if i'm wrong, you damaged one stud out of 4. This damaged stud spins around freely correct? If that is the case, you can attempt to weld it or just use vicegrips to hold in place. Each nut takes 64 ft.lbs of torque but if you go less on one nut you should be just fine.

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - December 14, 2016 03:20 pm UTC

Update ?

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - December 19, 2016 04:30 am UTC

Haven't worked on the dsm since removing the subframe.

3 of the 4 studs are very free as I might have mentioned before. I plan to remove the subframe bushings but I am having no luck finding oe bushings can only find the entire subframe or solid aluminum inserts

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - December 22, 2016 02:55 pm UTC

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/front-subframe-bushings.415647/

found that link while researching for oe replacement bushings for the front subframe of my fwd

upon googling and searching the part numbers listed in that thread the website selling the parts lists them as 2000+ eclipse now is this a generic bushing insert which fits multiple gen eclipses or did the member post the wrong numbers

and a second question...are awd and fwd subframe bushings/washers/bolts the same?

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - December 22, 2016 05:33 pm UTC

and a second question...are awd and fwd subframe bushings/washers/bolts the same?

MITSU CAPS software is your best friend answering ^ question.
I can check and post part numbers from my last order after i get home from work.
Posted By: Jason Drew

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - January 13, 2017 09:02 pm UTC

From what I remember from the AWD swap, no.

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - January 17, 2017 04:50 pm UTC

found a solid link attached below

http://www.auto-parts.spb.ru/cat/mi...Wi2WALwwb/qLMC36IzBO_oG8MjMX0S26dNeFBg==

i am assuming i should not worry if upon searching of part if it shows for a later model or production car by mitsu
Posted By: Jason Drew

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - January 18, 2017 03:25 pm UTC

It's pretty normal for parts to cover a variety of platforms and model years.

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - January 25, 2017 02:26 pm UTC

I have managed to source a majority of the bushings/washers/nuts/bolts for the subframe its only taken me 4 different vendors but im having difficulty finding the last piece part number below any help would be great

MB910464
Posted By: Ziggy Dietrich

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - January 25, 2017 03:20 pm UTC

You will probably have trouble with that one. It is discontinued, and the source we had for obsolete parts doesn't have any either.

I am surprised you had to go to 4 vendors.

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - January 25, 2017 03:24 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Ziggy Dietrich
You will probably have trouble with that one. It is discontinued, and the source we had for obsolete parts doesn't have any either.

I am surprised you had to go to 4 vendors.

I really wasnt Ziggy considering the age of the parts but i was able to get everything except the listed parts from

amayama.com
mitsubishidirectparts.com
amazon
ebay

now if this part is obsolete and last resorts arent able to help either whats my best bet? i may have distorted the existing ones slightly while torching to loosen
Posted By: Ziggy Dietrich

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - January 26, 2017 03:32 am UTC

I was just expressing Surprise that RTM couldn't get you all the other parts you needed and found elsewhere. Not sure what your best bet is now for this last one...

Re: Sway bar Broken bolts - January 26, 2017 03:07 pm UTC

In all fairness to RTM now that you mentioned that Zig i was supposed to get Abbas part numbers which im sending over now

Thanks for the reminder Ziggy!
© 2024 Club DSM Canada