Alternator relocation kit

Posted By: Luke Decking

Alternator relocation kit - July 30, 2010 03:06 pm UTC

Has anyone got the Jay Racing alternator relocation kit installed? I have a couple of questions.

When you install this the alternator is on the firewall side of the block right? If so does it get put under the intake manifold so it would seem hidden?

That sounds like something I would want when I get the wiretuck and battery relocation done!
Posted By: Rob Strelecki

Re: Alternator relocation kit - July 30, 2010 03:35 pm UTC

Luc, please do a search before posting questions like this..
The first link in Google has your answer, directly from Jay Racing: http://www.jayracing.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8_10&products_id=10
Posted By: Ziggy Dietrich

Re: Alternator relocation kit - July 30, 2010 06:39 pm UTC

And so you know, when you are ready, I sell the kits wink

Re: Alternator relocation kit - July 30, 2010 09:04 pm UTC

I read up on it but I'm curious as to its posistioning after installation. Would it sit under the intake manifold or would it be closer to the back right corner of the engine bay. I'm just a little confused as to where it could possibly go, which is why I asked if anyone had it installed as well. Sorry for the confusion though Rob!

Ziggy I need some more stuff check your pm's when you get a chance man!
Posted By: Brennan Clouatre

Re: Alternator relocation kit - July 30, 2010 09:11 pm UTC

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rob Strelecki

Re: Alternator relocation kit - July 30, 2010 09:12 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Jay Racing
This modification will eliminate the air conditioning compressor and use its mounting location at the firewall side of the block.
I think that's about as specific as they can get re. the location! wink

But yeah, a picture is definitely worth more than 20 words.

Re: Alternator relocation kit - July 30, 2010 09:16 pm UTC

Oh thats sweet thanks Brennan, That would free up some nice room up front!
Posted By: Ian Burnside

Re: Alternator relocation kit - July 30, 2010 10:28 pm UTC

I have it installed on mine as well as power steering removed if you want a picture of that to see what it looks like with nothing there.

Re: Alternator relocation kit - July 31, 2010 01:30 am UTC

Originally Posted by Ian Burnside
I have it installed on mine as well as power steering removed if you want a picture of that to see what it looks like with nothing there.

yeah I would really like to see what that looks like BUT there is NO WAY I'm giving up my power steering! It took me forever to get all the parts together and finally get it in! I'm sure there's a way to hide the lines though.
Posted By: Anthony Hiscock

Re: Alternator relocation kit - July 31, 2010 02:01 am UTC

Originally Posted by Luc dekking
Originally Posted by Ian Burnside

yeah I would really like to see what that looks like BUT there is NO WAY I'm giving up my power steering! It took me forever to get all the parts together and finally get it in! I'm sure there's a way to hide the lines though.

There's a way but I'm still working on it and won't have it all done till next year though.

Re: Alternator relocation kit - July 31, 2010 07:25 am UTC

I couldnt drive without power steering again, My goal is to have my Talon pretty quick, clean and totally driveable on a daily basis (winter excluded) and honestly driving around on a base (50 max speed limit) is making me more and more pleased to have my originally de-powered rack.......powered!
Posted By: Paul Bratina

Re: Alternator relocation kit - July 31, 2010 01:34 pm UTC

There's no need to fret over loosing your power steering. Even if a front mount made relocating/removing the factory cooler "loop" seem really difficult/annoying, there's ALWAYS ways around it. If push comes to shove, you can get a cheap aftermarket cooler and install it wherever it'll fit. My advice to you would be absolutely don't worry about your PS. I don't care what your setup is, SOME kind of PS cooler can be accomodated.
Posted By: Ryan Laliberte

Re: Alternator relocation kit - July 31, 2010 03:16 pm UTC

We removed Ian's power steering, but installed a Manual rack from a 1.8L Talon. It's a geared manual, so it's TRUE Manual steering.
Posted By: Anthony Hiscock

Re: Alternator relocation kit - August 01, 2010 03:12 pm UTC

Manual racks are slower then power racks though.

I'm going to be doing an Electric Hydraulic set up in my car using an MR2 pump. As I said, I'm still working on it and won't be able to report on it till next summer.
Posted By: Tim Grechin

Re: Alternator relocation kit - August 04, 2010 02:15 am UTC

Does anyone know if JayRacing changed their alternator mount? Back when I had this kit (2 years ago), I broke 3 different mounts. All cracked in the same spot, including the 'revised' unit.
Posted By: Ian Burnside

Re: Alternator relocation kit - August 04, 2010 03:37 am UTC

They make an alloy steel bracket now for the kit, which claims to be heavy duty.
Posted By: Tom Cook

Re: Alternator relocation kit - August 12, 2010 02:58 pm UTC

I have a new unit from Jay on our race car and it has been flawless since we put Loctite on all the hardware . we had an issue with vibration and the bolts/nuts backing off .
© 2024 Club DSM Canada