Clean or Upgrade Lifters

Posted By: Chris Browning

Clean or Upgrade Lifters - March 28, 2014 12:09 am UTC

Hey guys,

I'll be installing L19 head studs in my DSM with the head on in the next 2 or 3 weeks. My lifters have been causing some phantom knock during cruise for the past ~5000km so I need to do something about them.

Will a thorough cleaning of the lifters be enough or is it just better to suck it up and buy the 3g lifters to install?

On a side note I just switched from Castrol Syntec to Mobil 1 Synthetic and that made the lifter tick MUCH worse during cold starts, not a fan of the Mobil 1.
Posted By: Jason Drew

Re: Clean or Upgrade Lifters - March 28, 2014 01:16 am UTC

Upgrade them, then you won't be dealing with it again in a few thousand miles.

Not a fan of Mobile 1 oils, I stick to good old dino oil with high zinc content such as Valvoline VR1 or Rotella, much better protection for your bearings and your turbo.
Posted By: Jay Stacey

Re: Clean or Upgrade Lifters - March 28, 2014 02:33 am UTC

I cleaned and free'd mine up when I rebiult my head 3 years ago.. Ran Valvoline synthetic till I got it running good and then switched to Mobil 1 Delvac ESP 0w40 full synthetic. It ticked alot with the valvoline... But quieted down with the Mobil 1. Then I had to switch to Quaker synthetic cause Its all I had at the moment and the tick came back. Switched to Brad Penn and it went away.

Now since I ran a semi synthetic.. I may just go to a dino oil and stock up on some Rotella 15w40 for all my vehicles. Its easy to find and cheap in bulk.
Posted By: Stephan Tanchak

Re: Clean or Upgrade Lifters - March 28, 2014 04:13 am UTC

I'd upgrade them. 3G lifters are inexpensive and do the job well.
Posted By: Lucian Marta

Re: Clean or Upgrade Lifters - May 10, 2014 05:59 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Stephan Tanchak
I'd upgrade them. 3G lifters are inexpensive and do the job well.

^^ QFT
© 2024 Club DSM Canada