METH NOZZLE INSTALL

Posted By: Dio Long

METH NOZZLE INSTALL - September 07, 2014 12:47 am UTC

Would like for the experts to chime in and let me know where its best and most effective to install the nozzles.
Running dual set up nozzles.

After Ic I thought would be best but I see lots of ppl using just after bov before iat sensor.
Seen some after iat before the tb where I think is weird but ready to hear out our tested results.

Thank you
Posted By: Bryan Lawrence

Re: METH NOZZLE INSTALL - September 07, 2014 04:33 am UTC

After BOV before IAT is what I am seeing most too and what I will be doing.
Posted By: Terry S

Re: METH NOZZLE INSTALL - September 07, 2014 12:08 pm UTC

http://www.alcohol-injection.com/en/content/20-where-to-locate-your-alcohol-water-injection-nozzle

Re: METH NOZZLE INSTALL - September 07, 2014 06:38 pm UTC

Thanks guys,
I have seen and read the devils own installation as it happens to be the the kit brand I purchased.
Have read upon ppl doing pre bov, after bov in between it and the iat sensor and finally after the iat before he TB.

Know on paper per say the benefits that are claimed in theory online as anyone can read those. I was more interested in what some of the guys here on the board have actually run. I ask as I know there are a couple fellas that are rocking very good set ups all on meth.

im torn between the before and after iat sensor.
pre means if ever system goes out, down, limp or fails ecu will catch it and adjust timing for heat.
post claims to have true iat reading of actual air and not a pre set up that gets alki readings (not actual air temp), plus have ability to run higher boost.

either way, wanted to hear opinion of ppl actually running their systems is all...
Posted By: Bryan Lawrence

Re: METH NOZZLE INSTALL - September 07, 2014 07:24 pm UTC

Well I don't think IAT makes a difference at all.
If you read some of what Thomas has wrote about testing with IAT sensor on and off it doesn't make much of a difference.
I don't think your DSM will do the adjustment based on that, it's just going to see knock and retard the timing.
Unless I am confused as to how load is calculated in the ecu.

Re: METH NOZZLE INSTALL - September 07, 2014 08:28 pm UTC

Would make my life so much easier if I can install after bov and before iat.
Posted By: Stephen Richardson

Re: METH NOZZLE INSTALL - September 07, 2014 09:02 pm UTC

Well since Devils Own says it the best and thats the location YOU want to put it. Then put it there. If you put it after the IAT you wont get the advantage of the ecm logic advancing your timing you will have to do that yourself....

Re: METH NOZZLE INSTALL - September 07, 2014 09:12 pm UTC

I have my IAT installed in my intake manifold to give me the most accurate reading, I've added the plastic intake manifold gasket to help with heat soak. my single 10gph nozzle is installed after my bov (but not too far) and my TB. Stephan mentioned that if you put the nozzle close to the bov it will help purge the excess meth from the charge pipe when the bov opens, this way excess meth will have less of a chance to collect in the intercooler. I use the outside mounted nozzle, I'm not a huge fan of the inside mounted style.

Just my $. 02
Posted By: Jason Drew

Re: METH NOZZLE INSTALL - September 07, 2014 10:28 pm UTC

I run my IAT down low, before the BOV and the single 10gph nozzle in the TB elbow, this setup has worked out very well for me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Scott McIntyre

Re: METH NOZZLE INSTALL - September 08, 2014 12:44 pm UTC

I have mine located on the FMIC outlet and just before the throttle body...

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: Jay Stacey

Re: METH NOZZLE INSTALL - September 08, 2014 08:39 pm UTC

Ive always thought if its before the bov... That it will shoot out the bov during shifts. And if Im spraying my iat with meth.... Then I would think the meth is cooling down the iat sensor way more then the much hotter air going past it and that would give incorrect temps.

Now the Dsmap guys.. And the megasquirt guys suggest mounting the iat before the meth... And infact both groups often suggest mounting the iat down by the IC in direct path of oncoming air... For best resistance from heat soak.

Re: METH NOZZLE INSTALL - September 08, 2014 09:32 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Jay Stacey
Then I would think the meth is cooling down the iat sensor way more then the much hotter air going past it and that would give incorrect temps.

Now the Dsmap guys.. And the megasquirt guys suggest mounting the iat before the meth... And infact both groups often suggest mounting the iat down by the IC in direct path of oncoming air... For best resistance from heat soak.

1. I for one can show you my logs where my IAT changes MAYBE 1 degree when the meth is spryaing, Thomas (your hero smile ) has said many times that spaying meth has little effect on IAT sensor readings...I'm proof of that.

2. Reading temps right before they go into your engine is obviously the best method for accurate readings...BUT it does suffer from heat soak...when does heatsoak happen??? when your not moving or while idling, any location within the engine bay will be affected by some degree of heat soak, my location is the worst but as soon as I open the throttle even to cruise it drops quickly back to where it should be. grin

My setup works exactly as it should with very little ill effects, I think we are splitting hairs here when we are arguing where the iat should be, regardless of the IAT's location it still needs to be tuned to work properly.

Re: METH NOZZLE INSTALL - September 08, 2014 10:42 pm UTC

I agree.. I think its way over thought...

Thought id just add some profesionals opinion... As asked. Lol

I myself have no plans for meth. I even have an entire kit. Just rather have simple power. With out the risk.
Posted By: Stephan Tanchak

Re: METH NOZZLE INSTALL - September 08, 2014 11:40 pm UTC

Given they are cheap, my meth before the IAT ruined the sensor after a year and a bit.

Re: METH NOZZLE INSTALL - September 09, 2014 03:14 am UTC

Originally Posted by Stephan Tanchak
Given they are cheap, my meth before the IAT ruined the sensor after a year and a bit.

Which is why I run my IAT where it is, plus the wiring was really close and obviously I like to keep things tidy.

Re: METH NOZZLE INSTALL - September 09, 2014 04:39 am UTC

So many opinions makes it kinda of a coin toss.

Seems like the pre BOV seems to be a no no for the venting alki under hood factor.

Pre iat gets link involved adding a bit of a failsafe for the just in case but may ruin a $15 iat sensor.
Which is no biggie as we all have Ziggy on speed dial anyhow.

And post bov/iat seems to not ruin any sensors and seems to be very effective as well but no failsafe.

Which leaves me thinking perhaps pre iat seems to be the place to go with if there is a choice in the matter.

Re: METH NOZZLE INSTALL - September 09, 2014 11:46 am UTC

if the meth changes the temps... Maybe one dagree.... How is it a fail safe?
Posted By: Jeremy Gilbert

Re: METH NOZZLE INSTALL - September 09, 2014 12:48 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Dio Long
So many opinions makes it kinda of a coin toss.

You said you want to mount it after the BOV and before the IAT.

DevilsOwn (the people who made your system) says to mount it after the BOV and before the IAT.

A few guys who run meth have had great success mounting it after the BOV and before the IAT.

Why are we flipping coins?

Re: METH NOZZLE INSTALL - September 09, 2014 12:51 pm UTC

Running pre IAT is not a fail safe.

The only way to have a fail safe is to run separate fuel maps and wire in a hobbs switch so that as soon as pressure is lost in the line then it drops you down to the low octane table.

Either way, link is very involved. I highly recommend you activate the meth via link. It can be done other ways but not anywhere as easy to tune for as link won't know about the added fuel.

Re: METH NOZZLE INSTALL - September 09, 2014 12:57 pm UTC

Run 4 nozzle... One in each runner! Lol

Just install them where its easiest. There dosent seem to be a better spot. Other then someone killing their sensor wih meth.. Its seems to have the same affects in either position. Are you welding a bung on to your IC pipe? Or using the inside mount? Cause your very limited to where you can put it if its inside mount.

Re: METH NOZZLE INSTALL - September 09, 2014 12:59 pm UTC

Jay.. Ghiz did most of his shoot out races with his meth nozzle popped out and spraying his motor. That fail safe would have been useless.

Re: METH NOZZLE INSTALL - September 09, 2014 12:59 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Jason Drew

The only way to have a fail safe is to run separate fuel maps and wire in a hobbs switch so that as soon as pressure is lost in the line then it drops you down to the low octane table.

Either way, link is very involved. I highly recommend you activate the meth via link. It can be done other ways but not anywhere as easy to tune for as link won't know about the added fuel.

+1

save yourself the head ache and just weld a bung on the intercooler to run the outside nozzle, there more choices and it's safer.
Posted By: Stephan Tanchak

Re: METH NOZZLE INSTALL - September 09, 2014 01:08 pm UTC

And then get a real failsafe like me.

NO regrets at all spending the money on it. A couple days after,i found something, possibly the nozzle was greatly decreasing my flow.
Posted By: Ghislain Goudreau

Re: METH NOZZLE INSTALL - September 09, 2014 02:27 pm UTC

Nozzle that popped out was a 0.12. I was the Af Ratio changed a bit and I was getting less than 2deg of knock retard. Dialed the Timing back by 1 deg and added a little fuel. No other ill effect were felt.

Ghislain
Posted By: Mike Degli Angeli

Re: METH NOZZLE INSTALL - September 09, 2014 02:38 pm UTC

Aquamist. Real flow control sensor and real failsafes. Its money though. $800 plus to get a system fully installed and going.

Here is a price comparison chart. I'm a big fan of there stuff. The mini has one installed for 2years and the DSM will eventually have one as well.

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/forum/compare-4.gif
Posted By: Reza Mirza

Re: METH NOZZLE INSTALL - September 10, 2014 04:33 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Jason Drew

Agreed, this is the only real failsafe there is with a meth kit. Low level sensors and blinky lights are probably as good as my check engine knock light. Any real catastrophic damage will already be done by the time your warning lights come on wink

On a side note I spray 2 x M14's driectly onto the IAT, never had any issues here and the 100% meth does not degrade the sensor either. I have been doing this for a few years now.

My fail safe is to simply have a meth system that just does not fail smile Works well for me.
Posted By: Lucian Marta

Re: METH NOZZLE INSTALL - September 11, 2014 01:18 am UTC

Current car has no meth or speed density, but on my old DSM I was spraying the meth after both the BOV as well as the IAT. Worked well for me that way as well.

Re: METH NOZZLE INSTALL - September 11, 2014 01:31 am UTC

Are you planning on keeping it that way?
Posted By: Lucian Marta

Re: METH NOZZLE INSTALL - September 11, 2014 04:50 pm UTC

For now, yeah.
Posted By: Guillaume Berton

Re: METH NOZZLE INSTALL - September 14, 2014 07:55 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Mike Degli Angeli
Aquamist. Real flow control sensor and real failsafes. Its money though. $800 plus to get a system fully installed and going.

Here is a price comparison chart. I'm a big fan of there stuff. The mini has one installed for 2years and the DSM will eventually have one as well.

http://www.aquamist.co.uk/forum/compare-4.gif

I think that list is biased because Coolingmist has a ton of add-ons including a brain for different inputs and a ton of failsafes
© 2024 Club DSM Canada