7 Bolt Arp Headstuff Install Question

Posted By: James Karban

7 Bolt Arp Headstuff Install Question - March 29, 2010 12:17 am UTC

I've reinstalled the head, and I used the supplied Arp Moly lube as directed.

I torqued the head in proper sequence, and in three steps. First to 25, 45 and final value of 85 foot pounds.

Am I supposed to retighten these bolts after the a few heat cycles? or do I just leave everything alone and close it up?

I need some expert opionions here.

thanks
Posted By: Ghislain Goudreau

Re: 7 Bolt Arp Headstuff Install Question - March 29, 2010 02:36 am UTC

Hello James

Some Head Gaskets require retorque; you should be able to read that information on the Head Gasket pakaging.

I personally rarely retorque a Head Gasket and never had problem.

Torqing the Head like you did helped spreading the load evenly so I would tend to say that it is not required.

Ghislain
Posted By: Jonathan Beaton

Re: 7 Bolt Arp Headstuff Install Question - April 03, 2010 01:19 pm UTC

I only really do stock rebuilds at work and have yet to do one that requires a retorque. If you're doing it yourself and can retorque for free I recommend doing it as a precautionary step.

Even if it does nothing for your car, it'll make you feel better.
Posted By: KEVIN KIRELUK

Re: 7 Bolt Arp Headstuff Install Question - April 03, 2010 09:32 pm UTC

I personally always re-torque normal ARPs after a couple heat cycles.

When installing the studs, did you bottom them out and then back them off 1/4 turn?
Posted By: James Karban

Re: 7 Bolt Arp Headstuff Install Question - April 07, 2010 03:01 am UTC

Everything is running good, headgasket install was a success. I'll be taking off the valve cover just to double check that the torque specs still match.

Posted By: Deep Mann

Re: 7 Bolt Arp Headstuff Install Question - April 07, 2010 03:08 am UTC

Originally Posted by KEVIN KIRELUK
I personally always re-torque normal ARPs after a couple heat cycles.

When installing the studs, did you bottom them out and then back them off 1/4 turn?

Hey Kevin what do you mean by bottoming them out? You suppose to bottom the stud out confused I need to know because I am doing my HG soon
Posted By: Reza Mirza

Re: 7 Bolt Arp Headstuff Install Question - April 07, 2010 03:53 am UTC

He means don't bottom the arp stud right into the bottom of the block. Back it off about a 1/4 turn once it hits the bottom.

This ensure that torque is applied evenly on the threads of the stud, and not just the first few mm's below the deck surface wink
Posted By: Deep Mann

Re: 7 Bolt Arp Headstuff Install Question - April 07, 2010 04:08 am UTC

Alright I looked back at a thread and I understand what your saying rotate But should each STUD bottom out at the same level or they would be different ? and use only the hand to tighten them ? because last time I think I sent those mofo's down with a hand RATCHET shuffle and each of them would go down more than tightening with hand
Posted By: Reza Mirza

Re: 7 Bolt Arp Headstuff Install Question - April 07, 2010 12:47 pm UTC

They should bottom out at relatively the same level. If you seen one stud higher than others, that means there was most likely oil or coolant in that hole which was preventing it from going down further.

You need to clean out the holes in the block properly, and probably blow some compressed air into them to get any debri out. Sometimes a tap is even needed to chase the threads.
© 2024 Club DSM Canada