Lower Ball Joint Failure *Pictures*

Posted By: Chris Browning

Lower Ball Joint Failure *Pictures* - August 05, 2010 12:08 am UTC

Hey guys here's the pics of my lower ball joint failure, I think its a pretty clear cut case for the recall and I'm feeling confident that the dealership will cover the damages. heres the album:

Ball Joint Failure

Posted By: Ian Burnside

Re: Lower Ball Joint Failure *Pictures* - August 05, 2010 12:19 am UTC

When was this recall? If it was 10+ years ago, theres no way the dealership will be responsible for the damages.
Posted By: Deep Mann

Re: Lower Ball Joint Failure *Pictures* - August 05, 2010 01:21 am UTC

I'm With Ian on this. I don't think the dealership would be responsible.
Posted By: Greg Kelly

Re: Lower Ball Joint Failure *Pictures* - August 05, 2010 03:31 am UTC

It's a recall, so it's up to you to bring the car in and have it done. They will replace both of your lower lateral control arms but I am pretty sure you'll be on the hook for the rest of the damages unfortunately.
Posted By: Anthony Hiscock

Re: Lower Ball Joint Failure *Pictures* - August 05, 2010 12:57 pm UTC

Like Greg said, the dealer will replace the arms but that's it.
Posted By: Jeff Mitchell

Re: Lower Ball Joint Failure *Pictures* - August 05, 2010 01:14 pm UTC

If the recalls (note there are *two* for the control arms) had not already been done, you might be able to get compensation from Chrysler Canada. Of course the dealership will do the work, but compensation would have to come from head office.

If the recalls were already done, they'll probably just tell you to pound sand.
Posted By: Scott McIntyre

Re: Lower Ball Joint Failure *Pictures* - August 05, 2010 01:53 pm UTC

I had a ball joint let go on a road course a couple years ago, although I didn't suffer as much damage as you.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Basically it tore up my fender liner, bent my fender a bit and ripped my inner & outer CV joint boots..

Torn fender liner.
[Linked Image]

Inner CV jopint separation.
[Linked Image]

Outter CV joint.
[Linked Image]

Fender damage.
[Linked Image]

Fender damage.
[Linked Image]

It wasn't a ball joint failure however... The nut backed off and the ball joint dropped out. Some new boots and a fender liner and I was good to go.

Re: Lower Ball Joint Failure *Pictures* - August 05, 2010 02:02 pm UTC

Ya I'm feeling better about this now anyway, looks like it'll just be a new cv shaft and new lower control arms (both sides i don't want this happening again) the only annyoing thing is the tire i'm going to have to replace, o well though, maybe the dealer will still cover it, i'll let you know how the talks go with the dealership.

Re: Lower Ball Joint Failure *Pictures* - August 06, 2010 06:58 pm UTC

Looking at the pictures what are your guys opinions on the cv shaft, should i just reboot it or do i need to replace the whole shaft?
Posted By: Malcolm Harris

Re: Lower Ball Joint Failure *Pictures* - August 07, 2010 12:06 am UTC

I would replace the CV shaft, especially if it came apart well rolling still,.

Re: Lower Ball Joint Failure *Pictures* - August 07, 2010 03:53 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Chris Browning
Looking at the pictures what are your guys opinions on the cv shaft, should i just reboot it or do i need to replace the whole shaft?

[Linked Image]

If it only popped out of the cup and wasn't damaged, I'd just get a new boot and reuse it. That's all I did and mine's still going strong 3 years later. Just make sure you clean all the grease off and thoroughly inspect it for any damage before reuse.

Re: Lower Ball Joint Failure *Pictures* - August 07, 2010 03:58 pm UTC

okay cool well i got a new boot, now I'm just wondering how to get it on haha, do you have to remove the joint somehow and then slide the boot on?

Re: Lower Ball Joint Failure *Pictures* - August 07, 2010 04:07 pm UTC

Yes, there's clip at the end of the shaft you must remove, then the end just slides off. Piece of cake.

Re: Lower Ball Joint Failure *Pictures* - August 07, 2010 04:27 pm UTC

perfect thanks Scott
© 2024 Club DSM Canada