Spyder roof and water

Posted By: Johnny Larmond

Spyder roof and water - August 26, 2013 09:10 pm UTC

For all the spyder owners out there, I know a lot of you only drive on sunny days and store in a garage for the remainder of the time. However, you might have some information that would help out here.
Currently, I have 2 trouble spots, front corners (very common) and somewhere in the rear.
I noticed I have a little bit of water pooling in the leather roof catch behind the rear seat. Are there suppose to be drains back there or does the water just tent to evaporate? Also, can this be prevented?

Cheers
Posted By: Terry S

Re: Spyder roof and water - August 26, 2013 09:19 pm UTC

I used a canvas (tent) waterproofing on my top, I think I did 3 coats and gave the rest to Alex, you can buy the stuff at Canadaian tire in the camping section, spray on or brush on. its like rain-x for your top, with enough coating the water wont want to leak inside the car..it will just quickly repel off of it.

other then that I'm no help as my car is stored 99% of the time in my garage.

Re: Spyder roof and water - August 26, 2013 09:49 pm UTC

That's good to know. As far as I can see, it's not leaking through the fabric...yet tongue
Posted By: Terry S

Re: Spyder roof and water - August 26, 2013 10:20 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Johnny Larmond
That's good to know. As far as I can see, it's not leaking through the fabric...yet tongue

I understand that its not, but when you put the repellent on the top it will help whisk away water that would normally leak through rubber seals. just try it, it will cost you $10 at most.

Re: Spyder roof and water - August 26, 2013 10:24 pm UTC

Will do!
Posted By: Salomon Ponte

Re: Spyder roof and water - August 26, 2013 10:33 pm UTC

I was gonna say the same thing about the tent stuff, if I didn't when we were talking earlier today. I forget...it's been a long day.

Except I was gonna say it half as a smart-ass.

Re: Spyder roof and water - August 26, 2013 10:49 pm UTC

For the record, I'm talking about the little leaks in the seals, not the roof tongue
Posted By: Salomon Ponte

Re: Spyder roof and water - August 26, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

Can you not just replace them, or are those parts 'non-serviceable' and/or discontinued?
Posted By: alex rorabeck

Re: Spyder roof and water - August 26, 2013 11:01 pm UTC

I've been having some issues my roof as well. I tried the canvas waterproofing for tents from Canadian Tire (used the whole can) and it didn't help me very much. It worked pretty good for a few rain falls and then the water continued to water seep through.

My biggest problem area is probably the very front of the roof where it connects to the upper windshield area. On the roof it appears as if there was supposed to be some sort of rubber seal type thing there but it is missing. It would seep through and then pool in the area the latches are attached to and then if you made a turn it would all come flying out onto your lap.

I ended up stuffing towels in that area to try and soak up the water when it would seep through. It was very frustrating cause we kept having CRAZY amounts of rainfall in the early summer, so I put the car away until next year when I will have some money saved up to tackle fixing/replacing it.

If anyone has an possible remedies my ears are open!
Posted By: Henri Masse

Re: Spyder roof and water - August 26, 2013 11:51 pm UTC

I'm also fighting the same water leaks in the front corners. The passenger side leak I was able to stop by adjusting the latch. Tried doing the same for the drivers side but didn't cure the problem. Ill be looking into this a little more closely this week as it really bugged me on my way into work today. Ill let you know if I find anything.

Posted By: James Karban

Re: Spyder roof and water - August 27, 2013 03:49 am UTC

This is the stuff you guys are looking for...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RAGGTOPP-FABRIC-PROTECTANT-CLEANER-KIT-CONVERTIBLE-TOP-HAARTZ-UV-BLOCKERS-BMW-VW/281152831314?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D855127781741204548%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D271249333150%26

It's made by Haartz which was oem convertible top manufacturer and is exactly the stuff that they came sprayed with from the factory.

1.) You spray the entire top with the first solution and it removes everything from the fabric and brings the color back to life.

2.) You let it dry in the sun and then you apply the spray. I can assure you it will not leak anymore. You can park the car in a rainstorm and it won't leak. Just make sure to spray the edges 2-3 times.

Posted By: James Karban

Re: Spyder roof and water - August 27, 2013 03:52 am UTC

Also, there is no need to replace the front top window seal (very expensive). Just unscrew the front latch hooks and cut them a bit shorter. Screw them back in a bit further, and the front of the roof will seal tighter.

Re: Spyder roof and water - August 27, 2013 12:58 pm UTC

Originally Posted by James Karban
This is the stuff you guys are looking for...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RAGGTOPP-FABRIC-PROTECTANT-CLEANER-KIT-CONVERTIBLE-TOP-HAARTZ-UV-BLOCKERS-BMW-VW/281152831314?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D11%26meid%3D855127781741204548%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D271249333150%26

It's made by Haartz which was oem convertible top manufacturer and is exactly the stuff that they came sprayed with from the factory.

1.) You spray the entire top with the first solution and it removes everything from the fabric and brings the color back to life.

2.) You let it dry in the sun and then you apply the spray. I can assure you it will not leak anymore. You can park the car in a rainstorm and it won't leak. Just make sure to spray the edges 2-3 times.

Interesting. I'll look into this stuff. Bringing colour back is key!

There are very small leaks in the front which I'm sure will stop when I tighten the latches. The water starting to pool in the back is my concern.
© 2024 Club DSM Canada