Where to Buy Single Taps and Dies

Posted By: Chris Browning

Where to Buy Single Taps and Dies - January 20, 2014 09:29 pm UTC

Hey Guys,

Does anybody know of a good store to buy single taps and dies? In particular I need an M10 x 1.25 for my turbo to manifold bolts. I'm also looking for a place that is normally open after 5, I'm in Peterborough if that helps.

Thanks!
Posted By: Mike Degli Angeli

Re: Where to Buy Single Taps and Dies - January 20, 2014 09:32 pm UTC

Ebay and just buy from a Canadian source. If not fastenal.
Posted By: Rob Strelecki

Re: Where to Buy Single Taps and Dies - January 20, 2014 09:35 pm UTC

KBC Tool, on Kennedy in Mississauga. $20 minimum order I do believe.
Posted By: Tyler Minshall

Re: Where to Buy Single Taps and Dies - January 20, 2014 10:48 pm UTC

CDN tire has them individually for about $7/ea. Not quite sure if they have that one but i know they do have metric.

I looked on the site and some of the kits have a 10X1.25 so they should have them individually.

Re: Where to Buy Single Taps and Dies - January 20, 2014 11:41 pm UTC

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the responses, I checked the Tire and although they have individual taps for sale there weren't any dies, the only set that had an M10 x 1.25 was the largest one that they had which was on sale for $60 from $160.

I ended up ordering a Jet Tools die through PartSource for $8 and it will be here by the end of the week and comes with a lifetime warranty. Probably a good solution for anyone reading this in the future.
Posted By: Bryan Lawrence

Re: Where to Buy Single Taps and Dies - January 20, 2014 11:53 pm UTC

Good to know, I need to grab a set sometime soon. Lifetime warranty is definitely worth it.

Re: Where to Buy Single Taps and Dies - January 21, 2014 12:17 am UTC

Ya Bryan, if you take a look through the reviews of the Mastercraft sets you'll see a lot of unhappy customers. Mastercraft is fantastic for a lot of things but I guess the precision and quality required for a good tap and die is where they break down.
Posted By: Stephen Richardson

Re: Where to Buy Single Taps and Dies - January 21, 2014 12:47 am UTC

If you are going to use any die to chase the threads on a turbo bolt you might aswell throw the bolt away. You will change the profile of the threads and it will not torque properly. Google torquing fastners and elastic vs plastic stages of a fastner.

Re: Where to Buy Single Taps and Dies - January 21, 2014 12:52 am UTC

Would the turbo bolts be torqued to the point of plastic deformation at ~45 ft lbs? I didn't think they would be as they are generally regarded as re-usable.

Re: Where to Buy Single Taps and Dies - January 21, 2014 12:58 am UTC

They will when you change their profile. Remember its the stretching of the threads that applies the proper clamping force. If you change their profile with a die they are less likely to torque properly. Tap and dies are for cutting new thread on new material. If you have some damaged thread get a thread file or chaser.

Re: Where to Buy Single Taps and Dies - January 21, 2014 01:12 am UTC

That's interesting thanks for the tip Stephen, that makes sense.

I guess I'm going looking for a chaser now tongue
Posted By: Ghislain Goudreau

Re: Where to Buy Single Taps and Dies - January 21, 2014 02:06 am UTC

I know that is a little late to chime in but for the most part you can get Taps & Die at most part store.

Car Quest and NAPA are also a good place to get such animals. You can also get them in most Industrial area stores. We rarely think about those areas.

Ghislain

Re: Where to Buy Single Taps and Dies - January 21, 2014 02:14 am UTC

No problem. I know alot of guys that will run a tap through a hole and figure it is good. And 9 times out of 10 it is fine. But not proper... and on turbo bolts/studs they already take so much heat abuse why make it tougher on them.
Posted By: Aman Bhogal

Re: Where to Buy Single Taps and Dies - May 10, 2014 10:25 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Stephen Richardson
No problem. I know alot of guys that will run a tap through a hole and figure it is good. And 9 times out of 10 it is fine. But not proper... and on turbo bolts/studs they already take so much heat abuse why make it tougher on them.

Those are very wise words
Posted By: Ziggy Dietrich

Re: Where to Buy Single Taps and Dies - May 10, 2014 10:37 pm UTC

Looks like this is a little old, but the best place for taps and dies will be an industrial supplier. Just don't buy Chinese, they are crap, as are most of the ones on E-bay. You can get reasonable price and decent quality on cutting tools made in Poland or Czech or similar.
Posted By: Adam Grenon

Re: Where to Buy Single Taps and Dies - May 12, 2014 12:46 am UTC

Fastenal
Posted By: Jason Drew

Re: Where to Buy Single Taps and Dies - May 12, 2014 02:28 am UTC

McMaster-Carr is my go-to place, though getting them to ship to Canada is not easy.
Posted By: Tim Eagles

Re: Where to Buy Single Taps and Dies - August 03, 2015 02:03 pm UTC

Not sure what country the parts come from, but Acklands-Grainger sells taps and dies and a myriad of sizings. Including those hard to find fine thread sizes like our imports use, larger M widths with 1.25 or 1.00 thread pitches.

I've also picked up many taps from Snap-On, as they list those online or in their paper catalogues.
Posted By: Mike Eng

Re: Where to Buy Single Taps and Dies - August 03, 2015 02:23 pm UTC

Tim! Still at Myers?
Posted By: Ghislain Goudreau

Re: Where to Buy Single Taps and Dies - August 04, 2015 12:30 am UTC

KBC Tools not too far from the T.O. Airport.

Ghislain
© 2024 Club DSM Canada