90 amp alt

Posted By: Paul Sitarski

90 amp alt - August 20, 2014 12:26 am UTC

Is anyone using the oem mitsu
90 amp alternator or do most
People go with saturn unit.?
Posted By: Salomon Ponte

Re: 90 amp alt - August 20, 2014 12:44 am UTC

I've always used OEM and/or remans. Never had issues with them and hold a decent voltage even under full boost with fans on.
Posted By: Stephan Tanchak

Re: 90 amp alt - August 20, 2014 01:04 am UTC

I've always used OEM 90a alts, but want to give a Saturn one a try next.
Posted By: Ghislain Goudreau

Re: 90 amp alt - August 20, 2014 02:05 am UTC

Only Alt I've use in the 2G is a rebuilt Mitsubishi, probably the original that came with the car (1995).

I had it rebuilt by a local shop here in Belleville (Lee's Alternator and Starter). That was about 8 years ago. Since then it offered me excellent reliability. Heck; Scott Neville Alternator died on the way to the SO two years ago. I recharged his battery 7 times while he was depleting mine; 90 km was the average we could do and that is going through Cleveland. In the mean time I was recharging his battery. Voltage was about 11v at first and would become to a full charge in about 20/25 mins. Talk about stressing an Alt that is known to be on the weak side.

I checked the battery voltage while driving to the SO this year and it maintained 14.1 volts on the highway and 18.8/18.9 while ideling for the next pass or at the border.

I just do not understand those who claim that our Alts are weak. I like to say they buy bad rebuilt Alts. Crappy Tire, NAPA or most Parts Store sell cheaply rebuilt Alts. best is to get it rebuilt yourself by a local shop. Those guys have their reputation to uphold and use quality parts. Parts Store get their Alt rebuilt in large contract which leads to using cheap parts.

Give them a try. He can rebuild it in less than a day. He can also rewire it to 110/120 Amps but that should take a few extra "daze".

At last; the Battery I use is more than 12 years old and was part of this trip to Ohio stated above. Optima Red Top is "Tha Bomb".

Ghislain
Posted By: Jay Stacey

Re: 90 amp alt - August 20, 2014 02:27 am UTC

I believe its hit and miss. Some get lucky.. And some dont. But there are bad ones out there.. And some end up replacing there alts several times. I like the saturn alt cause it was more solid voltage then the oem on my one 1g. I use the saturn alt cause I can get them anywhere for much cheaper.... Theres tons of them at the wreckers.... And they never die.

Re: 90 amp alt - August 20, 2014 02:30 am UTC

My factory makes the oem headlamps and taillamps for most of the GMs and Chryslers out there right now... And I dont see the quality in oem anymore. The big american companies cut way too many corners.
Posted By: Jeremy Gilbert

Re: 90 amp alt - August 20, 2014 03:14 am UTC

I believe the previous owner told me that it was the original alternator.. that would make it 19 years and 200,000km old with plenty of power steering fluid and exhaust being poured into it. I've never had a problem. I don't watch my voltage too closely, because as long as everything has power I really don't care..but I can't say I've ever seen it as high as 18+ volts. Impressive wink

Originally Posted by Jay Stacey
My factory makes the oem headlamps and taillamps for most of the GMs and Chryslers out there right now... And I dont see the quality in oem anymore. The big american companies cut way too many corners.

A bit off topic, but I definitely agree...if we're talking domestics. But I get to see things like ACDelco getting rid of heat sinks on spark plugs to save a couple pennies per. And yes, it is creeping into foreign car companies as well.

DSMs on the other hand...plenty of the OEM equipment is good for 10s. I consider that to be quality wink
Posted By: Stephen Richardson

Re: 90 amp alt - August 20, 2014 03:21 am UTC

Ghis hit the nail right on the head. Cheap ass rebuilt alts from crappy and napa are just cheap ass rebuilts. Find a good quality rebuilder. Yes it will cost more to have it rebuilt but it way more reliable.
Posted By: Stephan Tanchak

Re: 90 amp alt - August 20, 2014 04:32 am UTC

18-18.9 volts? I'd be weary of that voltage regulator. Too much voltage can fry things.
Posted By: Roman Cullen

Re: 90 amp alt - August 25, 2014 04:57 am UTC

My voltage regulator went bad in my 1G causing it to charge at 19 volts, end result it blew my headlight, fog and tail light bulbs. Surprised yours charges that high!
Posted By: Guillaume Berton

Re: 90 amp alt - August 25, 2014 07:36 pm UTC

Anyone have experience with the upgraded 160amp self exiting Saturn unit? Just wondering if there are precaution to take before slapping it on? Haven't bought one yet, but making sure it's worth it (2g in mind).

Re: 90 amp alt - August 25, 2014 09:56 pm UTC

You planning on powering a huge stereo and 4 batteries? Seems like alot of overkill.

Re: 90 amp alt - August 25, 2014 11:03 pm UTC

I would say.
Posted By: Guillaume Berton

Re: 90 amp alt - August 25, 2014 11:12 pm UTC

No but I do have quite a bit of electronics (both in sight and hidden), and wouldn't mind not having to worry about it EVER.

I heard of guys doing it and getting 14V on idle which I wouldn't be against. Not to mention it's nice to have a alt that can go beyond what's in demand, that way when it gets old, it's still able to produce.

Re: 90 amp alt - August 25, 2014 11:13 pm UTC

A good working 90 Amps is plenty for our cars; upgrading to 120 Amps would add a very good buffer. 160 Amps would be enough to power up a LEM!!!

Linky: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Lunar_Module

Ghislain

Re: 90 amp alt - August 26, 2014 12:20 am UTC

Umm I hate to say it but the only good thing about a Delfi alt is that they are cheap to replace. Mostly because of the demand for them... every GM needs an alt at least twice in its life. Getting a rotor from an old Dodge Caravan and putting it into you Denso alt is probably the best upgrade....although I doubt you could find one these days.

Re: 90 amp alt - August 26, 2014 12:44 am UTC

Good way to look at it Steph and also some excellent info.

Ghislain

Re: 90 amp alt - August 26, 2014 01:02 am UTC

Oh and by old Caravan I mean 90's back when they were oil burning 3.0L.

Re: 90 amp alt - August 26, 2014 02:06 am UTC

The way I see it... Is I'd get the Saturn alt(just stocker unless your running a mess of amps). And swap it as soon as I have down time with the car. Then If the Alt dies, I can swap really quickly with out having to deal it grinding and fitting .
Posted By: Jason Drew

Re: 90 amp alt - August 27, 2014 12:31 pm UTC

I've still got the original oem alternator on my car, bearings went out on it about 5 years ago, took it to the local place, they tested it(said it passed 100%) and changed the bearings out for $50, still going strong with 150k miles on the car.
Posted By: Terry S

Re: 90 amp alt - August 27, 2014 01:53 pm UTC

I run a stock non-self excited Saturn Alternator with the upgraded 'voltage monitoring' pigtail. Not sure how many amps she kicks out but I do know it's more then I need, I run a big ass amp, pos 10'' sub, punny civic battery and a 3 fared cap, zero issues. And the Alternator cost me a whopping $20...thanks Stacey.
Posted By: Bryan Lawrence

Re: 90 amp alt - August 27, 2014 06:25 pm UTC

What amperage would you go for if you are looking to do an EHPS setup
Posted By: Terry S

Re: 90 amp alt - August 27, 2014 08:12 pm UTC

1 million amps! ..... Seriously though, you ever going to put an EHPS into your car or you just day dreaming again rotflmao

Posted By: Bryan Lawrence

Re: 90 amp alt - August 27, 2014 09:10 pm UTC

I am always day dreaming but my power steering pump provides a fair mount of frustration so I have some motivation to get it done.
Plus it would look far more cleaner!
I can't believe how expensive the sh!t is, $300!
Also surprised there isn't that many cost effective options out there.
Posted By: Rob Strelecki

Re: 90 amp alt - August 27, 2014 09:13 pm UTC

Quick googie states the EHPS fuse as 50 amps..

Re: 90 amp alt - August 28, 2014 01:30 am UTC

If I had a 1g.. Id just depower it.
Posted By: Reza Mirza

Re: 90 amp alt - August 29, 2014 01:52 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Jay Stacey
If I had a 1g.. Id just depower it.

That goes right on my list of "How to make a 1g AWD DSM drive like crap:" lol
JMHO
Posted By: Lucian Marta

Re: 90 amp alt - August 29, 2014 05:57 pm UTC

^ It's not terrible. But if I wasn't trying to have an empty engine bay, you bet I would leave the power steering in it.

Re: 90 amp alt - August 29, 2014 07:22 pm UTC

I depowered it on my first 1g cause the rack was leaking. Was fine for me. More response from the road and seemed to have more power..

Re: 90 amp alt - August 29, 2014 10:32 pm UTC

I am with Reza on that one. If it leaked fix it. If a ps is making your engine ugly get new friends.
© 2024 Club DSM Canada