Throttle Plate Screws

Posted By: Garret Sliva

Throttle Plate Screws - June 22, 2016 03:18 pm UTC

Hey guys,

so I am currently rebuilding my throttle body on my 2g, and had some questions regarding the throttle plate screws.

I have already bought the closest ones I could find, but the question is, which would you run? The ones on the left seem a tad short, but the ones on the right a tad long. These will be red loctite'd in as well. I worry about the ones on the left not having complete thread engagement, but ive also heard that longer ones can whistle, along with being a slight obstruction to the flow path.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I appreciate everyones insight as always!
Posted By: Bryan Lawrence

Re: Throttle Plate Screws - June 22, 2016 04:22 pm UTC

Why not cut the longer one so that it's not sticking out like that anymore.
Posted By: Stephen Richardson

Re: Throttle Plate Screws - June 22, 2016 04:27 pm UTC

Cut them and peen them.
Posted By: Lucian Marta

Re: Throttle Plate Screws - June 22, 2016 04:44 pm UTC

Yep cut and peen. I did the same on the TB I ported & polished. Longer bolts, cut to the right length.
Posted By: Garret Sliva

Re: Throttle Plate Screws - June 22, 2016 04:47 pm UTC

Did you guys cut them down before installing them? That wouldnt cause issues with the threads at all?
Posted By: Jason Drew

Re: Throttle Plate Screws - June 22, 2016 05:33 pm UTC

Just take them down 2 threads with a grinder and bevel the edge slightly, you won't have any issue.

Honestly the short ones loctited would be fine and won't go anywhere. They don't need 20 ft/lbs of torque on them lol.
Posted By: Mike Eng

Re: Throttle Plate Screws - June 23, 2016 10:13 am UTC

Before you decide to cut or grind them. Thread a nut on there to chase it afterwards.
Posted By: Ziggy Dietrich

Re: Throttle Plate Screws - June 24, 2016 05:37 pm UTC

^ excellent advice!
© 2024 Club DSM Canada