How to flush out the engine?

Posted By: Paul Kolbuc

How to flush out the engine? - February 12, 2000 05:36 am UTC

I'm planning in flushing my engine. The head is off, and I'd like to clean out all the crap, like bits of gasket material, from the engine.

Craig suggested that once I drain the oil, and take the pan off, I can flush out everything using the pressure from a garden hose. Some of you might think I'm crazy to use water, but Craig says it worked fine for him, and I had a ride in his car a few days ago, and it runs well. After everything is flushed out, I'd wipe off any water I see, and spray everything down with oil...then run some oil through the engine and drain it out. One the head is back on, the engine is running for a bit, I'll go and get the oil changed again.

This is something that is to be done while the car is sitting in a garage, not at a shop.

I'd like to hear any feedback, and suggestions, thanks.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: How to flush out the engine? - February 12, 2000 09:34 pm UTC

I'd suggest using a heavy degreaser first then rinse it with water. Use a bottle brush to scrub the coolant lines and oil passages. Water alone won't do much. Be absolutely sure to coat everything in oil afterwards though otherwise you'll have a bigger mess than what you started with!
Posted By: Peter Meier

Re: How to flush out the engine? - February 12, 2000 10:15 pm UTC

So you're saying the engine is still in the car? If you use a degreaser of some sort, it might get in your bearings (rods and crank) and when you start it up, it will eat your bearings, since it will keep the oil out.

Maybe that's why the water worked - it can't get in the bearings.

I figure - why bother. It should be pretty clean already. You could clean out the oil pan though.

------------------
Fast & Awesome Handling
'90 AWD

$h!tbox
© 2024 Club DSM Canada