N/T Talon Engine vs Sonata Engine

Posted By: Anonymous

N/T Talon Engine vs Sonata Engine - April 25, 2003 01:40 pm UTC

Are these motors exactly the same? What are the dfferences if any? If you guys can help, it would be much appreciated! smile

puke
Posted By: Amin Ahmadi

Re: N/T Talon Engine vs Sonata Engine - April 25, 2003 01:44 pm UTC

what Sonata?!

if you mean the Mitsubishi 4G63 that came in some later year sonatas I think Yes they are.

They could be like the 4G63 NT that was in Galants and put out 140 Hp instead of the 135 in DSMs. They have higher compression and a more aggresive camshaft design.

Re: N/T Talon Engine vs Sonata Engine - April 25, 2003 01:59 pm UTC

I have a 93 Sonata and 90 n/t talon, just to play around with, was just wondering if the motors were exactly the same.

puke

Re: N/T Talon Engine vs Sonata Engine - April 25, 2003 03:04 pm UTC

Originally posted:
puke
is that your name that you end it with?!

it is indeed encouraging to answer to your posts,

I don't think Sonatas came with 2.4 DOHC so if yours look like a Talon it is a 4G63. I don't know if it is a 7bolt or a 6 bolt.
Posted By: Matt Palmer

Re: N/T Talon Engine vs Sonata Engine - April 25, 2003 05:32 pm UTC

Sonatas did come with 2.4L 4G64's, that's where a lot of guys are getting their blocks for 2.4L conversions, aside from the Galand, 2g Spyder and I think there was a Chrysler version too, but don't quote me on that.
Posted By: Matt Toeppner

Re: N/T Talon Engine vs Sonata Engine - April 25, 2003 10:50 pm UTC

I don't think Sonatas came with 2.4 DOHC so if yours look like a Talon it is a 4G63. I don't know if it is a 7bolt or a 6 bolt.
All 4G63 NT's are 6 bolt.

Matt alien

Re: N/T Talon Engine vs Sonata Engine - April 26, 2003 04:44 pm UTC

yeah the motors certainly look the same, like identical. so my next question is: if a n/t motor blows a timing belt does it take the crank out?

Amin what do you mean is that my name?
Posted By: Andrew Stewart

Re: N/T Talon Engine vs Sonata Engine - April 30, 2003 09:57 pm UTC

N/A 4G63s in Sonatas and DSMs are the same except the Sonata has a more restrictive exhaust manifold. The Sonata engine is rated at only 125 hp becuase of it apperently.

It all depends on how high the engine is reving when a timing belt breaks. I couldn't see it breaking the crankshaft ever but I guess anything can happen.

Re: N/T Talon Engine vs Sonata Engine - April 30, 2003 11:31 pm UTC

I mean Siging off a post with PUKE sign is not that respectful I guess laugh laugh laugh nevermind

But the 4G63 16V DOHC has different version.
different compression ratio and Camshaft profile
Posted By: Darko Miodrag

Re: N/T Talon Engine vs Sonata Engine - May 02, 2003 09:39 pm UTC

Originally posted by Matt Palmer:
Sonatas did come with 2.4L 4G64's, that's where a lot of guys are getting their blocks for 2.4L conversions, aside from the Galand, 2g Spyder and I think there was a Chrysler version too, but don't quote me on that.
Nope, Sonatas never had 4G64s.
Posted By: Tim Brown

Re: N/T Talon Engine vs Sonata Engine - May 03, 2003 02:46 pm UTC

Darko:

Sonotas did come with 4g64 until 92 I think they were only ever SOHC but none the less a 4g64...
Posted By: Jeremy Chin

Re: N/T Talon Engine vs Sonata Engine - May 03, 2003 10:52 pm UTC

there are a lot of 4G64 equipped cars around.

Sonatas, Eagle Summits (the odd-ball mini-mini van) had 4G64 SOHC engines (uses the same 2.0L SOHC head found on base model 2000GTX/Galants.

If you know where to look for them, 4G64 blocks are hardly considered rare.
© 2024 Club DSM Canada