Magnus intake manifold

Posted By: Kobie Mercury-Clarke

Magnus intake manifold - February 15, 2009 05:57 pm UTC

Out of curiosity, since I'm guessing that the Magnus Manifold is based on gains with a turbo DSM, would the gains still be high with an N/T? I'm actually thinking about getting one if the gains are still there, anyone know if it matters if it's a turbo or N/T DSM?
Posted By: Adam Grenon

Re: Magnus intake manifold - February 15, 2009 07:25 pm UTC

No useless for an NT, most don't get this manifold until they are making high HP, ie drag car in excess of 500 hp.

Re: Magnus intake manifold - February 16, 2009 07:13 am UTC

Oh, so much for that then lol
Posted By: Aaron Gamgee

Re: Magnus intake manifold - February 16, 2009 11:18 pm UTC

Hey Kobie,
Have you considered a 14b on low boost?

Posted By: Mark Bondy

Re: Magnus intake manifold - February 17, 2009 02:54 am UTC

...Or better yet, how 'bout a turbo DSM crazy

Re: Magnus intake manifold - February 17, 2009 05:43 am UTC

Originally Posted by Aaron Gamgee
Hey Kobie,

Ya I have, but don't want to make my car less reliable lol

Re: Magnus intake manifold - February 17, 2009 05:43 am UTC

Originally Posted by Mark Bondy
...Or better yet, how 'bout a turbo DSM crazy
Can't afford one frown believe me, I would love a tsi
Posted By: Daren Peacock

Re: Magnus intake manifold - February 17, 2009 08:46 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Kobie Mercury-Clarke
Hey Kobie,

Personally I don't get the whole DSM's aren't reliable. I've owned mine for about 6 years & I have only had one issue that I can think of, which was a worn out bushing in the rear suspension.

Guys buy these cars, make 2-3 times of what their power was stock, don't do any maintenance & cry about them not being reliable. Also have to consider these are 15 year old cars even for the newest 1gs.

Personally I think DSM's are very reliable cars, hell my brand new bought winter beater has more issue & its not a year old!

Re: Magnus intake manifold - February 17, 2009 09:52 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Daren Peacock
Hey Kobie,

Personally I don't get the whole DSM's aren't reliable. I've owned mine for about 6 years & I have only had one issue that I can think of, which was a worn out bushing in the rear suspension.

Guys buy these cars, make 2-3 times of what their power was stock, don't do any maintenance & cry about them not being reliable. Also have to consider these are 15 year old cars even for the newest 1gs.

Personally I think DSM's are very reliable cars, hell my brand new bought winter beater has more issue & its not a year old!

I mean the added issues of boost leaks, more parts that can fail (turbo shaft play) etc.
Posted By: DaveBarlow

Re: Magnus intake manifold - February 21, 2009 01:23 am UTC

By the time u mod that car to make it quicker you could have sold it and saved up some money to buy a tsi.

Re: Magnus intake manifold - February 22, 2009 08:23 am UTC

lol, ya probably, but not in the same condition. You do have a point though.
Posted By: DaveBarlow

Re: Magnus intake manifold - February 22, 2009 06:00 pm UTC

Indeed your car looks very clean.
Posted By: Ryan Laliberte

Re: Magnus intake manifold - February 23, 2009 12:52 am UTC

Bah Kobie, don't let them get to you. Eric gets the same nonsense for his N/T 2G, yet has put enough money into it to make a TSi go 11's reliably.

I do concur with Darren though, any car is unreliable if you don't put the maintenance to it and do hack-job style fixes/installs. There are MANY turbo production cars out there and yet our cars get the "unreliable" brand? It's quite possibly due to the fact that the newest 2G is 10 years old!

And yet you don't see people rushing out to buy a turbo Daytona, Ford Probe GT, Turbo Shadows or MR-2's do you? No. Because the DSM is a highly modifiable, high horsepower OOTB, AWD platform with a motor that can handle 500WHP with only bolt-ons.

All you are doing is increasing the stress on major components. Do this to any vehicle, things WILL break. You can rag on Honda owners for snapping axles all the time or destroying transmissions, does that make a Honda unreliable?

Posted By: EK

Re: Magnus intake manifold - February 27, 2009 03:09 pm UTC

Kobie, it's a constant battle. I love my 2GNT, and I receive flak for it all the time. We're not able to make the same power, but I love it all the same. Sure, there are times I wish that I had bought a TSi before a 2GNT, but that's long past.
Posted By: Brandon Clement

Re: Magnus intake manifold - March 01, 2009 09:02 pm UTC

Hey Kobie,

I mean the added issues of boost leaks, more parts that can fail (turbo shaft play) etc.

An N/T vehicle will be just as unreliable as a turbo vehicle if improperly taken care of.

My 94 TSI has been more reliable than my 95 N/T. And a ton more fun. I never like when someone says the turbo dsms are un-reliable. People just abuse them to hell for their entire life.
Posted By: Jay McClelland

Re: Magnus intake manifold - March 14, 2009 01:11 am UTC

Originally Posted by Brandon Clement
[quote=Aaron Gamgee]Hey Kobie,

An N/T vehicle will be just as unreliable as a turbo vehicle if improperly taken care of.

My 94 TSI has been more reliable than my 95 N/T. And a ton more fun. I never like when someone says the turbo dsms are un-reliable. People just abuse them to hell for their entire life. [/quote]

Here here, Take care of your car and I think you would be surprise. My last talon I had for 2.5+ years Tranny blew cause I didnt tighten the nut, despite Rob S. Teachings. Timing went before I bothered to switch it and was not a mitsu belt. Its outlasted a couple of my friends civics they drive. =] Yes they beat the crap out of them. But no one can say I was easy on my talon either. Its all in how you take care of your car for me.

It does pay of to be anal sometimes. =]
Posted By: Shaad Ishmail

Re: Magnus intake manifold - May 11, 2011 01:52 pm UTC

Here's some food for thought. I plan on building my car N/T, but with parts athat cross the threshhold into turbo land. Forged 2.3 stroker 9.0cr, a spare head that I'm building, uprated oil pump (if I can find one), ACL bearings, ARP fasteners, etc....

When I'm done, and I get the car tuned on a turbo ECU and MAF w/ GM MAF-T and AEM EMS. The car will make some good power, and if I chose to do so, I could always do a turbo conversion, and the car could take it. But the car would hold it's own in N/T form.

And considering that I'm not looking to use anything bigger than a 20G, we won't be talking about a hard to drive N/T setup (well, that depends on your definition of hard to drive).

Edit: I forgot to mention that I'm driving a 93 2.0L N/T
Posted By: KEVIN KIRELUK

Re: Magnus intake manifold - May 11, 2011 02:00 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Shaad Ishmail
Here's some food for thought. I plan on building my car N/T, but with parts athat cross the threshhold into turbo land. Forged 2.3 stroker 9.0cr, a spare head that I'm building, uprated oil pump (if I can find one), ACL bearings, ARP fasteners, etc....

When I'm done, and I get the car tuned on a turbo ECU and MAF w/ GM MAF-T and AEM EMS. The car will make some good power, and if I chose to do so, I could always do a turbo conversion, and the car could take it. But the car would hold it's own in N/T form.

And considering that I'm not looking to use anything bigger than a 20G, we won't be talking about a hard to drive N/T setup (well, that depends on your definition of hard to drive).

Edit: I forgot to mention that I'm driving a 93 2.0L N/T

You really should be doing a lil more research!
Posted By: Rob Strelecki

Re: Magnus intake manifold - May 11, 2011 02:30 pm UTC

I think on a FWD the stock 14b should be harder to drive than 20g or bigger. Think about it.. You are spooling sooner = more wheel spin off the line. The bigger turbos don't even make any boost at a stand still. Mine doesn't and I can totally cook my tires (well, one tire) with the stock displacement, stroke and 9:1 CR spy
© 2024 Club DSM Canada