Stupid Ministry of Transportation

Posted By: Adam Grenon

Stupid Ministry of Transportation - February 03, 2005 06:57 pm UTC

Well I went to pay a speeding ticket today and the lady at the kiosk says I still owe them $1800 from 6 years ago!

I did go to court for crashing a stock car into a tree when I was 15 and someone was injured and had to leave in the ambulance. I was on a public road and got nailed with no insurance etc etc. Long story short in court they did say I had to pay $1800 in fines.

I never received any legal documents stating this in the mail or personally in the last 6 years. Every other time I have gone to renew plates or anything it has never been brought up until now. Never received anything at all saying I had to pay it. She said the staus says "Defaulted".

She also said it's not going to effect the status of my liscence but I should go see the justice of peace at the court house that it was held in.

Anyone know what I should do.. Seems really weird I don't think they can demand the money from me now that its been so long. But I am not sure.
Posted By: Rob Strelecki

Re: Stupid Ministry of Transportation - February 03, 2005 07:03 pm UTC

It's very strange that they would allow you to renew your plates over the past 6 years!

Knowing the MOT they will probably want that $1800 plus interest bird

Personally, I would take the clerk's advice.

Re: Stupid Ministry of Transportation - February 03, 2005 07:28 pm UTC

I think the fact they never sent me any documents at all is on my side. They said I had a year to pay it, well 6 have gone by without anything coming up. I actually have even gone through the graduated liscence system in this time as well, nothing has ever been said to me. I had no court papers nothing ever given to me or mailed.

I believe I will go talk to a lawyer before I go see the justice of peace.

The fact is I don't have that kind of money so if they continue to let me drive I might just leave it alone. I am curious as to their definition of "Defaulted".
Posted By: Steven Usher

Re: Stupid Ministry of Transportation - February 03, 2005 07:37 pm UTC

Holy Grenon!
It finally caught up with you eh? That's absolutely insane! But didn't you have a bunch of tickets and such before that you had to deal with (Radar, Speeding, No Plate) or is this the same stuff that is just coming up now? If not, didn't they say anything previously?

Re: Stupid Ministry of Transportation - February 03, 2005 07:54 pm UTC

I just went and paid those today and well low and behold she brought it up. nothing ever mentioned at all previously in 6 years.
Posted By: jay peterson

Re: Stupid Ministry of Transportation - February 03, 2005 08:04 pm UTC

well i had the same thing sort of i got charged with no insurance, went to court and was givin a fine of 800 to pay. But 5-6 yrs have gone by and i have payed other fines and this one is still on the computer to pay, but they cant link it to be definitly me because it does not have my drivers licence number with the charge. So it doesent affect your licence or plate renewal. and really they cant do anything because they dont have your D.L number beside it, so really it could be anyone with the same name as you as i learned there are lots of people in Canada as the exact same name as me.

Re: Stupid Ministry of Transportation - February 03, 2005 08:10 pm UTC

Jay thats funny you say that, she commented maybe there are 2 of me.

I'll see what I can do now that I have the info about the liscence number.

Thanks

Edit: so Jay did you have to pay it?
Posted By: Joe panton

Re: Stupid Ministry of Transportation - February 04, 2005 12:44 am UTC

I have been told that after 7 years the collection is off your record.? I dont know if this is a fact or not but I owe some money to the po po and at year # 6 they start herassing me?? Like you it is almost 7 years and they know that if one more year passes they are S.O.L.

Dont quote me ponder
Posted By: Jonathan Largon

Re: Stupid Ministry of Transportation - February 04, 2005 01:53 am UTC

Your average driving violations like plate renewal, speeding ticker, unsafe move, tinted windows, muffler, etc.. stay on your record for 3 years since the date of CONVICTION.

A suspended license will stay on your record fro 6 years from the date of your CONVICTION.

I would suggest going to an MOT kiosk desk or the actual counter requesting your driver's abstract for $12 - it will show your record for the last 6 years, you may then see the EXACT date at which this happened, although I doubt it will show up on there since you say it was at the age of 15 when you did not have a driver's license yet. But it's a handy took either way to see how you've done in the last 6 years.

Note that any regular tickets that have been older than 3 years will not ofcourse show up.
Posted By: Nate Fullerton

Re: Stupid Ministry of Transportation - February 04, 2005 02:45 am UTC

I thought it was 2 years for the MTO and 4 years for your insurance company? Did this just chance recently?
Posted By: Matt Polese

Re: Stupid Ministry of Transportation - February 04, 2005 05:14 am UTC

Save yourself the trouble and change your first and last legal name to something else. laugh

So when they do call you, say sorry I don'ty know that person ponder
Posted By: Jon Arnett

Re: Stupid Ministry of Transportation - February 04, 2005 08:13 pm UTC

Nate, Jonathan is correct, it's 3 years on your record. Insurance is also 3 years. The MTO can technically pull anything off your record though, even from 8+ years ago, it's just that it requires an additional search, and there's no reason to do it, except if they were looking into some special circumstance.
Posted By: Jonathan Largon

Re: Stupid Ministry of Transportation - February 04, 2005 10:25 pm UTC

This is also why Insurance companies are so anal about you not lying, and giving them 20 signatures that you are not faking any of your info, notice how they always ask "had your license suspened in 6 years?" Why wouldnt they want to ask if it was suspended in the last 15 years? Because they cant check anyway smile
© 2024 Club DSM Canada