Where and how to unlock cell phone?

Posted By: Peter Harry Cortesis

Where and how to unlock cell phone? - April 19, 2006 02:15 pm UTC

I'm leaving for Europe in 10 days for the summer and I'd like to bring my Motorolla Razor with me. I want to purchase a SIM card over there and still be able to use my phone without paying ridiculous Rogers fees.

I've been told by Rogers that my phone is locked, and I need to unlock it. Does anyone know where I can have this done locally in Toronto? I'm sure I didn't google hard enough, but any help is greatly appreciated.

Off to write my Marketing Consumer Behaviour exam. Thanks.
Peter
Posted By: Tim Brown

Re: Where and how to unlock cell phone? - April 19, 2006 03:30 pm UTC

Goto Pacific Mall someone will unlock it for you at one of the booths smile
Posted By: Troy Jollimore

Re: Where and how to unlock cell phone? - April 19, 2006 05:28 pm UTC

They're trying harder to make them unlockable, but haven't quite succeeded yet.

Your other alternative would be to buy an older used GSM phone that's not locked, unless you insist on the RAZR. Bloody thing's so small I'd lose it inside of 10 seconds...
Posted By: Dean Boyle

Re: Where and how to unlock cell phone? - April 19, 2006 06:02 pm UTC

Is this what you like to use, Troy?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rob Strelecki

Re: Where and how to unlock cell phone? - April 19, 2006 06:18 pm UTC

^^^
Ahh the gold ol' DynaTAC!
lol We have a shitload of thoes in our storage room here at work.

Peter if you can't get it unlocked and need a cheap GSM phone for your travels, let me know.
I'm sure we have something from the 90s kicking around that would serve you well enough.
Posted By: Troy Jollimore

Re: Where and how to unlock cell phone? - April 19, 2006 07:58 pm UTC

Don't laugh. That was my first exposure to a cell phone when I was 18... on a boat out in Lake Ontario, no less. (:

A little too big. My Motorola StarTac 550 flip phone was just about the right size. And performed better than the POS digital phones today.

Re: Where and how to unlock cell phone? - April 19, 2006 11:51 pm UTC

Thanks Tim, I'll try out that mall. I live near the Eaton Centre, (ryerson student) so I will check there first as well, before I make the drive.

Rob, I will definately keep that in mind, if I run into any problems, thanks.

Hopefully they don't charge me an arm and a leg to punch in some codes or do whatever they do at those booths.

Merci beaucoup.
Pete
Posted By: Jeremy Chin

Re: Where and how to unlock cell phone? - April 20, 2006 12:08 am UTC

The RAZR is by no means "small", but if you are comparing it to the DynaTAC,...well.....

Those things are indistructable.

I wont loose a phone because they are not small enough yet, my bluetooth headset however...thats another story.

They usually charge $20-$25 for the "service". You can probably ask them to throw in the hacked OS as well that gives you video recording on the RAZR, but then again, if your's is a V3, then its rather pointless, since you only got 6mb of memory.

Re: Where and how to unlock cell phone? - April 20, 2006 04:33 am UTC

That hacked OS sounds cool, but unfortunately I have the V3 frown
Posted By: Jon Arnett

Re: Where and how to unlock cell phone? - April 21, 2006 06:08 pm UTC

Try out motomodders.com or something like that.

There's software you can get to unlock the phone yourself (if you have the data-usb cable for it)
© 2024 Club DSM Canada