I think my tires are melting..

Posted By: Dan Sarkar

I think my tires are melting.. - August 07, 2006 08:28 pm UTC

The average daytime temp here has been roughly 105F (~43c) making for one smoking hot Talon, not to mention pavement.

I was washing the car yesterday, and I noticed around my wheel well/fender lips a tarry black spray, almost as if I had been driving through some black goo. It wiped off easily enough, but the cloth was ba-lack.
I have never noticed anything like this before in my years of driving this car, and thought:
"Wow.........I wonder if I really am melting my tires in this heat", because I couldn't determine any other reason for having this debris on my fenders.

Oh well. It still beats knocking out caked up snow in the rims that cause the wheels to be off balance.
Posted By: mike leclerc

Re: I think my tires are melting.. - August 07, 2006 10:00 pm UTC

I think it's the goop they use to fill in cracks in the asphalt. Tire picks it up and flings it.
Posted By: Jeremy Chin

Re: I think my tires are melting.. - August 08, 2006 12:12 am UTC

That is probably tar.

The last track day I had, the track temperature was well over 50 degrees. 3 Laps on our semi-slick tyred track car and you can peel rubber off it and its gotten soft and gooey. Yeah...tyres do melt.

I could only imagine the ultra soft track tyres the faster cars were using.

Not only did our car not last long, neither either of the drivers did anyway. Was a miserable track day.
© 2024 Club DSM Canada