Evo GSR or MR?

Posted By: Mike Jackson

Evo GSR or MR? - April 20, 2008 03:39 pm UTC

If you were getting an Evo X would you get the GSR or wait for the MR?
Posted By: manuel salazar

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 20, 2008 03:51 pm UTC

Ill Wait.
Posted By: Joe Esmama

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 20, 2008 04:17 pm UTC

I'd get a GSR. I like shifting my own gears.

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 20, 2008 05:26 pm UTC

For those that plan to wait what tips the balance fo you for the extra $5k?
Posted By: Matthew Daize

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 20, 2008 05:53 pm UTC

Id wait.... the differences between the two are huge and to jump at the MR when wanting the GSR would instill quite the buyers remorse...
Posted By: Jeff Mitchell

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 20, 2008 08:26 pm UTC

Personally, I wouldn't wait.

First, I wouldn't want the SST transmission. But even if I did, you're basically paying for things you could upgrade yourself: suspension and wheels, stereo, HIDs, etc.
Posted By: Murtaza Saadat

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 20, 2008 08:55 pm UTC

GSR.... Or maybe wait and they will release an RS Model alongside the MR..
RS Evos are the coolest.. no accessories just pure race car ready wink

Posted By: Dan Sarkar

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 20, 2008 09:12 pm UTC

MR, if only for the TC SST.

However, given the amount of time it has taken Mitsubishi to work on this tech, I am leery about it's ability to perform, so I think I'd just go get another Audi with the DSG.

Posted By: Troy Jollimore

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 21, 2008 12:21 pm UTC

Hold out for a year, then see what's available...

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 21, 2008 06:01 pm UTC

On second thought, hold out for the Ralliart edition.

All of the goodies you want, without the extra price.
Besides, with the way the Ontario laws are going, the MR will automatically get you branded as a street racer, and you will get busted as soon as you drive it off the lot.

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 22, 2008 02:33 pm UTC

Blue or red?
Posted By: Grant Redfern

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 22, 2008 03:05 pm UTC

Blue.

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 22, 2008 03:10 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Mike Jackson
Blue or red?

Is that a matrix reference? smile

In order, I'd choose: Graphite Gray, Black, White, Red, Blue, Silver

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 22, 2008 03:22 pm UTC

The black makes it look too much like the Mazda 6 my brother owns. I haven't seen a graphite grey yet. In the blue and red all the lines and features stand way out. I like the blue a lot but when I saw the red I liked it a lot too.

My wife did the car seat test and is now in full support of an Evo.
Posted By: Murtaza Saadat

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 22, 2008 04:25 pm UTC

Lucky! tu

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 23, 2008 12:42 am UTC

Still debating the base level G35 sedan though too.
Posted By: manuel salazar

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 23, 2008 12:52 am UTC

Still debating the base level G35 sedan though too.

De dee dee!!!
Debate? i dont see no debate.

White so i can hate you even more!!!

Congrats.

-Manuel

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 23, 2008 01:37 am UTC

I'm getting old, I have different wants from a car then I use to. The G35 is a nice, sleek, refined, reliable, 300hp, look at me I'm a sugar-daddy car smile.

The Evo on the other hand is a 'I have some money, I know what I am doing but I still have a teenager inside me car'.

Not sure where I sit yet. Kinda sucks I can't test drive the Evo.

Posted By: Jay McClelland

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 23, 2008 01:48 am UTC

Im definitely the teenager still. I would wait for the Raliart edition. Ofcourse for that price I would probably go pick up a 2 yr old subaru and have some fun.

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 23, 2008 02:49 am UTC

If it was a toss up between the G35 and the Evo, I'd probably lean more towards the G35, for the same reasons you listed Mike.

On any given day, if given the choice between my Talon and my wife's A3, I'll take the A3 because it's just oh so comfortable on my aging ass.

The G35 would have that extra touch of grown up finesse that you wouldn't get from the Evo.
But hey, which one stirs your soul more? which one would you feel better about plunking down the cash for?
Posted By: jerry white

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 23, 2008 03:27 am UTC

Go with EVO I see about 20 G35s a day,nice but way to common those things are every where

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 23, 2008 03:38 am UTC

Just get a skyline =] not so common. But I believe the price tag is almost double.

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 23, 2008 12:45 pm UTC

Heh. Spoken like someone who's own money isn't on the line, Jerry. wink

The G35 is a pretty nice ride, and probably is a better car for it's perks. The new EVO seems to address that, though. Fancier seats and 'posher' than the older versions to help alleviate that argument. If I wanted a car for a daily driver, but would want the occasional AutoX or track day...The EVO GSR would be it. I mentioned waiting a year or so to see what bugs that new motor has hiding in it.

BMW 335i is not much more of a stretch once you get to $50k for a car.

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 23, 2008 12:47 pm UTC

Not going to make the $50k jump. Both the Evo GSR and the base G35 sedan are just over $40k. That's as far as I go.

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 23, 2008 12:56 pm UTC

That would be the 328i or the A4 Turbo Quattro as well. I don't envy you your selection at that price point. wink

Of course, Jeff's plan of waiting 2 years or so for EVO trade-ins isn't bad. I think there'll be a lot of buyer's remorse for that car once people feel the harsh ride (compared to others).

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 23, 2008 01:22 pm UTC

2007 Audi A4 wink (says the newest audi fan)

Wow, so the GSR is also around $40KCAD? that's not to bad considering.
Down here, a nicely equipped GSR comes in at $39K Sticker.....and I have yet to see one actually on the road......but this is beemer territory, that's for damn sure.

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 23, 2008 02:13 pm UTC

I vote for 2007/8 A4 2.0T as well. Hell, it's just about as fast as my S4!

I'd vote for a Kia over a G35S. They are the new Camry, so common and boring now. Same with Mazda 3s, it's like every other car I see on the road is either one of those now.
Posted By: Michael Certain

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 23, 2008 03:17 pm UTC

The G35 is a nice, sleek, refined, reliable, 300hp, look at me I'm a sugar-daddy car smile.

See, I think you should go with a Pontiac G6. Oprah gave away a bunch of these, so it shows that you watch her. Maybe you could get a "I have Dr. Phil on speed dial" bumper sticker and put a bunch of teddy bears in the back. Truth is, if you're all about having women choose your cars, go for a Yaris or a SMART. Eco-friendly and no backbone are exactly what women go for, so you'd be fightin' them off with what's left of your free will.

G35 sedans are still old man's cars. They made Brembo's optional? Ya, welcome to the more expensive Camry. Audi's have the ball joint problem, and a few other niceties that we'll hear about in a year or two.

Evos, STIs, Talons, 300Zs, Supras, and a few other cars say "Beneath my soccer-mom minivan driving, car seats and mcdonalds in the back seat, listening to sesame street and playing disney DVDs while pretending to lose at games I play because to win is to upset somebody....

There's a part of me that's still alive. :)"

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 23, 2008 03:27 pm UTC

Ouch! Coming from the guy with 2 talons that don't even run leaving him with a Civic he has to share with his wife that's pretty brazen tongue
Posted By: Michael Certain

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 23, 2008 03:47 pm UTC

To bugger up a famous Winston Churchhill quote:

"Yes, but in the morning, I'll be fast again.
And you'll still be whipped."

Edit:
Top Gear has reviewed the Mitsubishi Evo in:
S05E07, S05E08,
S06E05,
S07E07,
S09E04 (Discussed),
S10E07 (News)

Top Gear has reviewed any Infinity Car:
Oh right, they never did the G35, because it sucks smile

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 23, 2008 08:13 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Michael Certain
The G35 is a nice, sleek, refined, reliable, 300hp, look at me I'm a sugar-daddy car smile.
Truth is, if you're all about having women choose your cars, go for a Yaris or a SMART. Eco-friendly and no backbone are exactly what women go for, so you'd be fightin' them off with what's left of your free will.

WOWzers. I wasn't going to say it...

btw, who's making the payments? Because that should decide what type of car you get.
Posted By: Trevor R Cook

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 23, 2008 08:22 pm UTC

Mike have you test drove a G35 before? Blah so boring, I didnt like it at all, very sloppy handling and felt so weak. Youd be bord in two weeks...Go with the Evo and get a white mabe red one, the black accents make it stand out real nice.

Heres a pic of one done up a bit, mabe it will change your mind.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 23, 2008 08:45 pm UTC

I haven't test driven a G35 yet but will. Looks like I have a little more time now that the buyer of my Talon just backed out. Maybe I'll get a bite on the auto trader.

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 23, 2008 08:52 pm UTC

I'm a bit torn on the G35. On the one had, it is a nice car, especially the coupe, especially with the track brakes. But honestly they do seem to be a dime a dozen these days. Every freshly graduated visor wearing wannabe seems to be buying one as a first car. They didn't do a major refresh of the styling, so your friends won't be able to tell the difference between your $40k car and their friend's $17k one.

You could definitely do worse, but it really doesn't have the same cachet as it used to.

Posted By: Trevor R Cook

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 23, 2008 09:02 pm UTC

A compare a G35 to dating a super hot chick thats terrible in bed. Great to look at but not so fun to play with!!!!

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 23, 2008 11:12 pm UTC

Saaaay.

That Evo pictured above is not half bad.
Maybe I need to go look at one again.

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 24, 2008 12:06 am UTC

Originally Posted by Dan Sarkar
Saaaay.

it would look good next to the A3.

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 24, 2008 12:11 am UTC

Originally Posted by Grant Redfern
Saaaay.

rotflmao I wonder if you like audi =]
Posted By: jerry white

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 24, 2008 12:24 am UTC

Mike I saw a white EVO in cambridge on the week end,it looked pretty sweet

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 24, 2008 02:13 am UTC

Originally Posted by Jay McClelland

I sure do now!

I did sit in a GSR recently just to try it on for size, and I have to say that for $40K I found it lacking, interior wise; it lacks panache.
For one thing, the seats aren't all that adjustable, especially when compared to our A3. I know that they are more or less racing seats, or supposed to LOOK like racing seats, but do you really want track monster seats when doing the daily commute?
(says the guy with Evo IX Recaros in his Talon)

I dunno Mike. If you were in your 20's, single and freaking loaded, I would say get the Evo simply because of the giggles it would give you, performance wise.
However, like most of us, you are older (and MAAAAAYBE a little wiser....;) )and you want a little more refinement and class in your ride.
$40+K is a lot of coin to pay for a car, so think about it carefully....

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 24, 2008 02:16 am UTC

Originally Posted by Grant Redfern

I think a nice 08 RS4 would look better wink

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 24, 2008 02:31 am UTC

Originally Posted by Jay McClelland

I sure do now!

I did sit in a GSR recently just to try it on for size, and I have to say that for $40K I found it lacking, interior wise; it lacks panache.
For one thing, the seats aren't all that adjustable, especially when compared to our A3. I know that they are more or less racing seats, or supposed to LOOK like racing seats, but do you really want track monster seats when doing the daily commute?
(says the guy with Evo IX Recaros in his Talon)

I dunno Mike. If you were in your 20's, single and freaking loaded, I would say get the Evo simply because of the giggles it would give you, performance wise.
However, like most of us, you are older (and MAAAAAYBE a little wiser....;) )and you want a little more refinement and class in your ride.
$40+K is a lot of coin to pay for a car, so think about it carefully....

I like them too. If I could I would have an RS4 or the RS6 Avant(I dont know if the rs6 is available in north america though)

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 24, 2008 01:04 pm UTC

You wouldn't like the gas bills that ANY V8-powered sedan would give you. Otherwise, I'd love the RS4 or M5.

I've never cared if everyone else had the same car as I did or not. To me, the G35 is a BMW 3-series that's louder, lacks the refinement and superior handling, but is faster and cheaper.

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 24, 2008 01:32 pm UTC

Don't know about the sedan (if the plumbing is different) but the exhaust note on the G35 coupe/350Z is nothing short of delightful.
If that's what passes for louder, then I'd gladly sign up wink

I keep thinking I want a 350Z (if only for that melodious exhaust note) but then I would simply be one more face in the crowd down here....I swear the dealerships must be giving them away or something....same thing with the 3 series.
In a lot of ways, anonymity is nice, but it's also nice to have something that not everybody else has......that way it can get stolen quicker wink LOL.

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 24, 2008 04:02 pm UTC

OKAY. That's it, I'm sold!

Whuddya think, Grant? you with me?

Yes Please

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 24, 2008 05:07 pm UTC

OKAY. That's it, I'm sold!

Whuddya think, Grant? you with me?

Yes Please

EFFIN AWESOME!!!

I always thought they KILLED the appeal of the S4 when they decided to shoe-horn that aluminum V8 in there instead of the "oh so cool twin turbo V6" wink

If I drive out of boost, I get amazing gas mileage (600-700kms/tank) which isn't an option with the V8.

That '10 S4 looks like my new ideal perfect vehicle.

Great find, Dan...........hmm, GROUP BUY?

btw, I love that S4 badge on the brakes, that just screams mean.

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 24, 2008 05:43 pm UTC

".................Expect the new S4 to compete with the BMW 335i for efficiency but the Audi probably won’t have the edge in performance and will cost significantly more............."

OOOOuuuuuch.
The 335i is a costly piece of hardware......if this new S4 is MORE, then I might need to rethink this.

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 24, 2008 07:00 pm UTC

c'mon Dan, do the American thing and finance it through the ass on a new 7 year loan!

what could possibly happen - I've never heard of new cars decreasing in value or anything.
Posted By: Usman Majeed

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 24, 2008 11:57 pm UTC

I have only seen pictures of the new EVO X but never saw it in person. Last night, I was on highway 7 near 404 and there I saw a white one with some sort of aftermarket exhaust making a right turn onto highway 7. The exhuast looked a lot like the HKS carbon Ti but stainless steel and it was hanging on an angle as well.

Fast forward, he was ahead of me and we were about to enter underneath the brigde of 404 and highway 7 and he pulled it and pulled it hard.I think he was toying with another lancer, the '03 model. Man I have to say, the sound and how quick that thing was incredible. The white with the black accents in the front really look amazing. I think it was the lower model which I think is the GSR (right?) because I didn't notice any HID's.

Car stands out, there is not doubt about that.
Posted By: omar Rassam

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 25, 2008 01:06 am UTC

if u looking to get a used g35 from the states i could help u with that ,pm .

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 26, 2008 12:18 pm UTC

Well I test drove a G35X last night. Man that interior is mint. Makes the Evo interior look like an Echo. It had some balls but not a tonne of power. The transmission was nice. It had a standard mode, a sport mode and a manual mode. The shifts were pretty quick too. The AWD only kicks in when needed otherwise it puts all the power to the rear wheels. It sure had a lot of nice features while still having decent power and looks.

Then I went to the Cambridge Mitsu dealer but they were closed. This was about 7:45... I thought car dealers were open until around 9:00 on weekdays? They have a black and a blue EVO I could see through the window. For colours so far I don't like black or silver, I have to see a dark grey in person to judge. I kinda like white but I will never own a white car again since they look so dirty so quick. So I am thinking red, blue or dark grey.

So I have to decide, do I want to hit the road tracks or 1/4 mile any more? If not why not go with the G35 and use my bike for play time. If I do want to do any racing then the g35 is not the car. Tough choice ahead of me. The test drive of the G35 impressed me... it really is a gentlemens club car.
Posted By: john putzu

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 26, 2008 01:58 pm UTC

I was at KW Mitsu a few weeks ago and took a seat in
the new Evo, and I liked it. The shifter felt good
the seats where really nice.

Then I saw the price and I thought the car was not that
geat for that amount of money it should have more.

There are alot of nice cars new and used nicer than that. I
think the Evo is around a $35-37 thousand dollar car new.

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 26, 2008 02:35 pm UTC

I agree with you Mike smile

The G35 will make you feel all grown up, sophisticated and mature like. The Evo will make you feel like a 14 year old, giggling with a stupid grin on your face. (nothing wrong with either.....boys will be boys)

I like the dark grey (or "graphite grey pearl" as it's called )
Slap on the factory spoilers and side sills, and you have a nice looking car.

But hey, the G35 is like sitting in your living room and driving, and I can't deny the appeal of that.

Re: Evo GSR or MR? - April 27, 2008 06:58 pm UTC

I wouldn't go for the AWD in a car like that, though. The RWD with traction control is more than sufficient, and you won't get as many urges to play Rally-boy in the snow with a G35. wink

Aside from a 1/4 mile car or something for extreme Winter driving (and probably not by me) I don't think I'd own another AWD car...
© 2024 Club DSM Canada