does anybody work in Alberta camps?

Posted By: Kirk Harding

does anybody work in Alberta camps? - January 24, 2014 09:45 pm UTC

I'm looking to go out west to work and just wondered if anyone has any contacts or any advice.
I'm an electrician by the way.
Posted By: Salomon Ponte

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - January 24, 2014 10:36 pm UTC

Pretty sure your best bet would be to speak to Ron Korolak. He deals with cranes I believe but he'd probably know best. Can't think of any other AB members on here.
Posted By: Lance McCabe

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - January 24, 2014 11:10 pm UTC

I'm just getting my foot in the door with camps, so I probably will not be much help.

Basic certificates you need are: First aid/CPR, H2S Alive, and PST/CSTS (petroleum/construction safety).

I believe most companies will help you get these, but it helps speed things up if you have them already. Other certificates like TDG/WHIMS etc the company will help you get (from my experience anyway). http://www.acsa-safety.org/ and Enform.ca are one of the many sites where you can do some online if you want to get some on your resume.

Like most jobs, knowing someone or applying in person, will yield quicker/better results then emailing/faxing your resume.

Drug and alcohol testing and a fitness test are pretty common. My fitness test wasn't anything special: blood pressure/ heart rate, lung capacity, hearing test, bend and twist a bunch of different ways, eye sight, bit of medical history questions, 10 push ups and sit ups.

Any specific questions you wanted answered?

Are you looking to move to Alberta or do the Alberta shuffle (fly back and forth)?

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - January 24, 2014 11:35 pm UTC

I have done my csts and will be doing the shuffle smile

Mainly looking for a way in and people with contacts.
10 whole push ups???????

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - January 25, 2014 12:15 am UTC

Yep, 10 whole push ups. The guy watched me do one, then started doing more paper work. I was expecting it to be a little more tougher then it was.

It may be worth a shot asking in the "Alberta" post on tuners, in the Canadian subforum. Ron or Sven Hebbard may have something that could help?

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - January 25, 2014 12:25 am UTC

Cheers ill look it up, what trade are you btw?

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - January 25, 2014 02:10 am UTC

I'm a red seal chef, but I haven't had any luck finding a job in my field that pays (in Alberta) what I feel it should/what I'm worth.

So complete career change and right now I'm just a swamper/driver assistant until learn more and get to move up.
Posted By: Luke Decking

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - January 25, 2014 05:30 am UTC

Lance,

two words buds

Tor onto

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - January 25, 2014 08:07 am UTC

Yah, that was one of the possible locations when me and the g/f decided to move. However she didn't get many replies to her job applications, so we decided to go for one of the first ones that she heard back from.
Posted By: Ghislain Goudreau

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - January 25, 2014 08:21 am UTC

Originally Posted by Luc dekking
Lance,

two words buds

Tor onto

No!!!

I know a few Red Seal that are now "cooking" into Camps. Unless you have a hell of a name you ain't gonna be mak'n more money cook'n in T.O.

Ghislain
Posted By: chris esquejo

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - January 25, 2014 04:05 pm UTC

Get into a building trade union!

Most money and safest job sites.

Cobtrades.com

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - January 26, 2014 12:34 am UTC

Im with clac at the moment so I am using that to my advantage.
Posted By: chris esquejo

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - January 26, 2014 04:41 pm UTC

Clac, eh?!

I won't hold it against you lol
Posted By: Anthony Hiscock

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - January 26, 2014 11:16 pm UTC

Not sure if I agree with unions, this is only based on my experience though.

I'm actually looking to do the same as you Kirk as I was just handed a lay off this week. I'm sick of residential construction so this is the push I need to get into Commercial.

Are you a JP or apprentice?

Do you really need all these certifications or will they train you?

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - January 26, 2014 11:30 pm UTC

At the end of the day unions are a business im not loyal to any, I just want to work, pay my bills and put food in my families stomachs.
I'm a journeyman electrician 309A.
I also got the call to sit at home and wait on friday.

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - January 26, 2014 11:51 pm UTC

I feel the exact same way Kirk.

I don't want to leave home (especially to leave my 8 month old daughter) but I too need to look after my family. Gotta do what you gotta do sometimes.

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - January 27, 2014 12:09 am UTC

It seem your in the exact same boat my girl is 2 the irony is if I work 12 on 7 off I'll see more of her due to the hours I work here.

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - January 27, 2014 12:36 am UTC

Except I'm a lowly 3rd year.
I like being home every night but like I said..

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - January 27, 2014 01:18 am UTC

I could go on forever about the flaws in the apprenticeship programs over here lol. I started mine(in England) when I was 16 and I was qualified at 20, never paid a dime my company did. Infact I got paid for going to college!!
Posted By: Jay Stacey

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - January 27, 2014 03:04 am UTC

Dont yoi guys that live in big citys have pizza places? when I was in between work... I dilivered pizza for a place called new orleans pizza in kitchener. I made an average of 100 a night... Just in tips and all I had to do is drive around in my hot rod! which was an 84 tbird with big fat rear tires! When we moved to belleville i tried.. But there was no money in dilivery business hear. After Sandras done school we are probably chasing her carreer back to the city and I will prolly go back to dillivering pizza in my talon while I go to school and get edjamicated!

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - January 27, 2014 04:15 am UTC

I pay in to E.I I may as well use it until I find something in my field, and not to sound big headed but im way over qualified for anything like that, nobody in there right mind would hire me knowing full well I would jump ship as soon as a electrician job came up.
Posted By: Jay Stacey

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - January 27, 2014 11:11 am UTC

Thats the thing aboit pizza places... They dont care. its all under the table aswell. They just pay you a small.flaot and you make the rest your self. I was hired under the assumtion that I was looking for better work. At the time I was a wood crafter making 5000+ dollar grandfother clocks. The other driver at the time owned his own stereo shop.

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - January 28, 2014 12:03 am UTC

Originally Posted by Kirk Harding
I could go on forever about the flaws in the apprenticeship programs over here lol. I started mine(in England) when I was 16 and I was qualified at 20, never paid a dime my company did. Infact I got paid for going to college!!

I can agree.
I however took my sweet ass time and making up my mind what I wanted to do with my life. Hence why I'm almost 30 and don't have my JP.

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - January 28, 2014 01:19 am UTC

That not that uncommon over here. I may have got my in, its not the big big money but its a start ill keep you up to date.
Posted By: Jay Warwick (Pham)

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - January 28, 2014 01:45 am UTC

My sister and her fiance are both working on the camps in Alberta.

I know it was pretty tough for my sister to get into, so if I can help, let me know.

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - January 28, 2014 03:30 pm UTC

Im still looking for any info I can get.
Posted By: Terry S

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - January 28, 2014 04:15 pm UTC

Last I checked Flint Energy was hiring electricians.

flint jobs

Or just google the name for the main page.

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - January 28, 2014 06:52 pm UTC

Allready applied.

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - January 29, 2014 05:08 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Kirk Harding
That not that uncommon over here. I may have got my in, its not the big big money but its a start ill keep you up to date.

Sounds good.
I might have found something local, either way I am 100% done with residential electrical for a bit.

Do you NEED to have those certifications before going up there?

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - January 29, 2014 06:30 pm UTC

Some will put you through the course but the csts is the main one. Took me about 6hrs online and cost 70bucks

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - January 30, 2014 01:15 am UTC

For those who do it how do you go about taking tools with you?

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - January 30, 2014 02:44 am UTC

It's not uncommon to see guys taking tool boxes and checking them on a plane. Not sure how many tools you have, but I just bought some cheap bags and loaded tools in to them. On the plane it was $20 for a second checked bag, $30 for your third, and $50 for your fourth. If you go over the 50lb weight limit it is like $80. Then hope your work has storage where you can leave them locked up while you are gone.

Originally Posted by Anthony Hiscock

Do you NEED to have those certifications before going up there?

Just depends on the company or how desperate they are for workers. The new company I'm with has a week of just training courses, but since I had all of the course that I needed I'm able to start work right away instead of having to wait until the next time they have a training week.

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - February 01, 2014 01:59 am UTC

I fly on Tuesday smile I tell ya getting all my tools and stuff within a 50lb aint easy.

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - February 01, 2014 02:09 am UTC

I should have clarified its 50lb/ per bag. Congrats on the new job.

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - February 01, 2014 03:34 am UTC

Congrats Kirk.

I'm still looking.

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - February 01, 2014 03:56 am UTC

they are called wallbros and they are still hiring.

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - February 01, 2014 03:06 pm UTC

I'll have to look em up.
I'm applying for more today, pretty much anything I find online looking for 3rd years I'm applying to.

EDIT: Couldn't find a Wallbros, found Willbros but nothing about hiring Electricians on there website.
Think I've applied to about 20 jobs out west in the past week.

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - February 06, 2014 02:35 am UTC

It is willbros and look on kijiji alberta and indeed.ca

Re: does anybody work in Alberta camps? - February 06, 2014 08:00 pm UTC

Thanks Kirk!
© 2024 Club DSM Canada