RHD early evos and insurance

Posted By: Kirk Harding

RHD early evos and insurance - February 26, 2015 03:57 am UTC

Looking at trading my talon for one and was wondering if anyone had any wise words on insurance etc.
Posted By: Salomon Ponte

Re: RHD early evos and insurance - February 26, 2015 04:18 am UTC

Don't buy one unless you have another car to DD. Most insurance companies won't touch a RHD car unless they know (or think) it won't be driven as one's main method of transportation. Or at least that's what I've heard.
Posted By: Bryan Lawrence

Re: RHD early evos and insurance - February 26, 2015 12:18 pm UTC

Yeah agreed, if I were you I would call up Grant and discuss it with him first before you go shopping around.
Posted By: Mike Lane

Re: RHD early evos and insurance - February 26, 2015 03:02 pm UTC

a friend of mine has one in niagara. As far as I understand his insurance is a fluke with some loopholes and the car isnt really considered what it is.
Posted By: Brian O'Day

Re: RHD early evos and insurance - February 26, 2015 05:05 pm UTC

I was looking at one a few years back and my insurance company didn't care it was rhd. They just gave me a quote.
Posted By: Thomas Wong

Re: RHD early evos and insurance - February 26, 2015 09:29 pm UTC

I've called a few insurance companies recently (state farm, des jardin, bel air, RBC) and some smaller companies and brokers, everyone has either dropped don't cover rhd vehicles stating that "there's no market" for them.

I've only managed to get a quote through facility and it costs an arm and a leg even with a perfect driving record.

Apparently rhd club are trying to set something up, on their site it says they're trying to have something setup for spring 2015. http://www.rhdclub.com/rhd-insurance/

If someone knows where to get a half decent rate, I'd love to know.

Posted By: Jeff Mitchell

Re: RHD early evos and insurance - February 26, 2015 09:51 pm UTC

You could probably get insurance from a specialty insurer like Hagerty, but it would come with a bunch of restrictions, so not suitable for a daily driver.

Re: RHD early evos and insurance - February 26, 2015 10:22 pm UTC

I've looked at Hagerty's site and they have this in their list of cars that may not qualify - "Right-hand drive vehicles newer than 25 years, specifically those imported from Japan"

I've heard from people on forums that their old policy was 15 years and they bumped it to 25 years.
Posted By: Mike Eng

Re: RHD early evos and insurance - February 26, 2015 10:48 pm UTC

Just think if you were the insurer..

Would you trust imported RHD sports cars over say the identical LHD version?

Just look at all the JDM civics.

I'm thinking it's high risk. Therefore the insured can pay the replacement cost of said vehicle, as well as the second party involved in an at fault collision, annually.

I would say this has a lot to do with the low resale value here in America.

Plus, I'm right handed. And for the one month I drove on the other side of the road in new Zealand, shifting with your left sucks.

My nickel.
Posted By: Guillaume Berton

Re: RHD early evos and insurance - February 26, 2015 11:55 pm UTC

Also more dangerous making a left at an intersection. Think of how bad the drivers are already, add to that that you can't see as much as before. wink

Re: RHD early evos and insurance - February 27, 2015 05:47 pm UTC

Yea, I agree that making a left turn at an intersection would be more dangerous. I'd personally wait for an advanced signal if possible or hook up a camera on the passenger corner.

It just sucks that the west coast doesn't have these insurance problems compared to Toronto.
© 2024 Club DSM Canada