MYO Fiberglass boxes/enclosures/dash...

Posted By: Ryan Laliberte

MYO Fiberglass boxes/enclosures/dash... - January 28, 2006 12:16 am UTC

Here's a website I found for fiberglass. Working on doing my trunk up for my 2 10" and amp I have in there. Thought I would post it up for everyone!

http://web.njit.edu/~cas1383/proj/main/
Posted By: Helber Paula

Re: MYO Fiberglass boxes/enclosures/dash... - January 28, 2006 01:17 am UTC

that is an awsome site, looks very easy after looking at the site smile
Posted By: Noah Wiles

Re: MYO Fiberglass boxes/enclosures/dash... - January 28, 2006 07:37 pm UTC

I read the whole thing. Very interesting stuff. I think I'd like to try something similar. I have two 12s in my hatch and there's no room for anything else. I have to keep my golf clubs in the back seat.

Thanks for the link.
Posted By: Nick Boers

Re: MYO Fiberglass boxes/enclosures/dash... - January 29, 2006 03:01 am UTC

Wow, that looks easy now smile
Posted By: Daren Peacock

Re: MYO Fiberglass boxes/enclosures/dash... - January 30, 2006 01:20 am UTC

Originally posted by Noah Wiles:
I read the whole thing. Very interesting stuff. I think I'd like to try something similar. I have two 12s in my hatch and there's no room for anything else. I have to keep my golf clubs in the back seat.

Thanks for the link.
Hey Noah, here a pic of the box I made for my single 12", just for an idea. I origionally had 2 12's in a MDF box but same as you had zero trunk space as I built the box to a previous cars specs & it also weighed a tonn. I went with just a single because I don't need as much bass as I used to want, I would rather go fast then sound loud laugh . This link should work, if not let me know Ill post another.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=57957&catid=member&imageuser=42517

Re: MYO Fiberglass boxes/enclosures/dash... - January 30, 2006 02:18 am UTC

Exactly! I'm getting old and no longer need my car to rattle like crazy. But I still appreciate a good bass note. Like you, my MDF box is way to heavy and I haven't been able to use my hatch cover since I put it in because it doesn't clear. I really like what you've done because it looks good and it's hidden.

Thanks for the idea. Did you use the same techniques that the link above outlines?
Posted By: Nate Fullerton

Re: MYO Fiberglass boxes/enclosures/dash... - January 30, 2006 03:27 am UTC

That looks good Daren! Nice work. I have a single box in the back and there still isn't a ton of room.
I think my next box will be sculpted to fit on the Drivers side indent behind the wheel to the end of the car.

I've done some measurements and I think I can get enough internal volume to almost fit flush.

Great Website.

Re: MYO Fiberglass boxes/enclosures/dash... - January 30, 2006 04:16 am UTC

You could possibly put a matching sub on the other side with the indent, although I think it's a bit smaller on that side.
Posted By: Daren Peacock

Re: MYO Fiberglass boxes/enclosures/dash... - January 30, 2006 05:01 am UTC

Originally posted by Noah Wiles:
Exactly! I'm getting old and no longer need my car to rattle like crazy. But I still appreciate a good bass note. Like you, my MDF box is way to heavy and I haven't been able to use my hatch cover since I put it in because it doesn't clear. I really like what you've done because it looks good and it's hidden.

Thanks for the idea. Did you use the same techniques that the link above outlines?
Ya I used the same basic method. Build a minimal frame with mdf, stretch felt cloth over the frame, soak the material with resin, then built up 4 or 5 layers of fiberglass, cover the whole thing in bondo and sand for what seems like forever to get it nice & smooth.

I had thought about putting the sub on one of the sides like mentioned but descided I wanted the weight centered in the car. The box is light as a feather but the sub has some pretty good weight to it.
© 2024 Club DSM Canada