Window Tinting

Posted By: Isaque Nunes

Window Tinting - December 22, 2014 06:45 pm UTC

Hey Guys,

So my Lancer tints have faded since I've picked up the car from the dealer almost 8 years ago! Just wondering if any of you have done the removal and install of window tints yourself. Looking at YouTube video's doesn't seem like anything too tricky but just wanted to know first hand if anyone out there has done this.

Cheers
Isaque
Posted By: Bryan Lawrence

Re: Window Tinting - December 22, 2014 07:48 pm UTC

I have gone through removing, just make sure that window is insanely hot before you start peeling, took me a little while to figure that out and made a mess in the process, but if it's toasty everything comes off real easy. Use the heat gun on the outside of the window too, use it on the tint and you will make your life more difficult.

As for applying let me know what you find, I am have been searching for the good stuff and it seems ever place that has it wants to install it themselves.

Re: Window Tinting - April 27, 2015 02:08 pm UTC

Well I took the plunge on my windows and ordered precut film off EBay and ordered myself the proper tools..
I have a new found respect for these guys who do this for a living! I only have to do Rear window as I didn't bring my heat gun from work so will tackle that tonight!
First window took quite a bit of time to get used to doing it... All I can say is you can't use enough soapy water as soon as it gets dry, you're into trouble...
Having the precut films was amazing and for $30 Cad I can't complain, company sent it a hard roll and saved me a ton of time. I don't think the film is top of the line because as soon as it bend a little to much you end up with a crease. I'm more then happy for having done them myself and I'll see how long they last.

Removing the old tints with a steamer was a piece of cake too... If you want to get tints redone on your car, please remove them yourself as tint company wanted $150 to remove old ones lol... Not hard at all and not residue left from tints.

Cheers

Re: Window Tinting - April 27, 2015 02:11 pm UTC

Thanks for the notes Isaque, I am looking to grab a steamer for clothes so I may give this a go when I remove the rest of my tint.

Could you post a lint the the tint.

Also creases can be easily removed with some heat.

Re: Window Tinting - April 27, 2015 02:17 pm UTC

I tried heating it up but didn't work. I'm happy enough with results.

Here is link for Tints

Window Tints
Posted By: Jason Drew

Re: Window Tinting - April 27, 2015 05:11 pm UTC

I did my side windows and indeed, it takes patience and practice. I wouldn't attempt to do the rear window, the curve on a 2g hatch would make it a nightmare for an amateur.

Posted By: Michael Lee

Re: Window Tinting - April 27, 2015 06:53 pm UTC

If you can't put on a screen protector of any kind on a phone or handheld console, don't attempt it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2-b763DTpY

This is a link to the MightyCarMods guys and their "Guide".

I wouldn't really call it a guide, but some good info on there.
Posted By: Mike Eng

Re: Window Tinting - April 27, 2015 07:58 pm UTC

My least favourite job on my car had to be removing the 10 year old mirror tint. Without harming the rear defrost. And although I did it successfully, it still took roughly 6 hours.

Re: Window Tinting - April 28, 2015 04:06 am UTC

I'll probably be doing my rear window on Saturday as I don't want to rush it because of defroster... My old tints had nothing left on them after 8 years lol.. Just clear plastic was on my windows.

Re: Window Tinting - April 28, 2015 07:45 pm UTC

That might be because people often use ammonia based windex to clean their windows. Usually turning the tint purple.

Re: Window Tinting - April 28, 2015 07:47 pm UTC

Don't use a blade anywhere on the back window. Just chemicals and elbow grease. I used Naphta. Same as zippo fluid. It eats the glue resin right up. You're able to wipe it clean with a cloth.

Re: Window Tinting - April 29, 2015 12:26 am UTC

Nice I used some scotch brites to clean up the remaining glue, though there wasn't too much
Posted By: Ryan Prokopetz

Re: Window Tinting - June 09, 2015 08:23 pm UTC

The best method ive seen for removing old tint is with steam, worked like a charm!
Posted By: Johnny Larmond

Re: Window Tinting - June 12, 2015 05:26 am UTC

Originally Posted by Bryan Lawrence
Nice I used some scotch brites to clean up the remaining glue, though there wasn't too much

Careful..... You can actually scratch the glass doing this, and damage the rear defrost lines. (actually have no effen idea what it's called...)

Re: Window Tinting - June 12, 2015 02:24 pm UTC

As long as you run with them and not against you should be fine, also make sure they are nice and wet.
Posted By: Daren Peacock

Re: Window Tinting - June 14, 2015 05:50 pm UTC

I just recently removed my old tint, which I've been dreading doing as I've removed some in the past. Getting the tint off was easy, but removing all the glue took forever.

I didn't use a heat gun or steamer, I left the car outside on a hot sunny day & that was all that was needed. All the tint peeled off easy with the adhesive layer still attached. The only spot that left any residue was along the defroster lines & on some of the dot matrix on the back windows, which was easily wiped off with varsol & a soft cloth.

Just make sure its really hot or the tint will peel off & leave the adhesive layer, which you don't want. You also want direct sun on the windows. I did this around 1 or 2 & the side opposite the sun wasn't hot enough. Parked the car the other direction, waited ~30min & it peeled off clean.

Re: Window Tinting - June 14, 2015 10:35 pm UTC

Good to know the suns heat was enough, that's pretty cool.
Heat gun is super helpful, mine didn't come off clean unless the glass was stupid hot.

Re: Window Tinting - June 17, 2015 01:45 pm UTC

Using my steamer worked like a charm on the rear... Daren, maybe turn on the defroster next time might help. My tints came off easily and very little glue on the rear windshield. Just "rent" one from Canadian tire and return it on Monday! hehe...
I've got a steamer so if any locals need them removed, you're welcome to come by and I can help.
Cheers

Re: Window Tinting - June 17, 2015 01:55 pm UTC

Good call on the defroster, wish I thought of that. That's the only place that the glue was having trouble coming off.
© 2024 Club DSM Canada