Idle issue

Posted By: Bryan Lawrence

Idle issue - August 19, 2014 09:50 pm UTC

Alright so I am trying to get my ISC setup but as soon as I click the two check marks the idle starts searching everywhere. Is it safe to assume I have a intake leak some where and need to do another BLT or something else would cause this?
Posted By: Stephen Richardson

Re: Idle issue - August 19, 2014 10:20 pm UTC

Well you should do a BLT anytime you change something in the intake stream.

Re: Idle issue - August 19, 2014 10:23 pm UTC

Cause it sounds like an intake leak.
Posted By: Rob Strelecki

Re: Idle issue - August 19, 2014 10:47 pm UTC

Did you have the TB apart?

Make sure that the idle switch is set correctly (doesn't hold the throttle open) and that the ECU sees it. And then, reset the BISS as per the manual.

Re: Idle issue - August 19, 2014 11:32 pm UTC

Ok I will reset the throttle plate and then do a BLT.

Re: Idle issue - August 20, 2014 01:44 am UTC

Looks like you might have been right Rob, I adjusted it a little, and it seems better. Getting really frustrated with VRSF though both matting surfaces in the whole intercooler kit do not seat so I have a tiny leak right before the TB, also still can't get the elbow to seal but it looks like it might be a fastner being too long issue.
Posted By: Johnny Larmond

Re: Idle issue - August 20, 2014 05:50 am UTC

Sharpening stone that sucker flat!

Re: Idle issue - August 20, 2014 12:10 pm UTC

The issue doesn't seem to be that it isn't flat, at least not for the j pipe. I think my fastner is bottoming out before it can get completely tight so going to see if I can find something a bit shorter.
Posted By: Mike Eng

Re: Idle issue - August 20, 2014 12:53 pm UTC

Try some washers.?

Re: Idle issue - August 20, 2014 01:03 pm UTC

it's the inside one so there is no clearance for me to use any washers
Posted By: Jason Drew

Re: Idle issue - August 20, 2014 01:51 pm UTC

Shorten the bolt.
Posted By: Mike Degli Angeli

Re: Idle issue - August 20, 2014 02:03 pm UTC

Try using the right bolt? tongue

Re: Idle issue - August 20, 2014 02:32 pm UTC

The right bolt doesnt fit with the VRSF. I put in 2 other studs where the bolts used to go.

Re: Idle issue - August 20, 2014 02:33 pm UTC

That's the frustrating part is it's the bolt that was there before and even the bolt that ziggy gives you with the kit is too long.
Ok I will try shortening the bolt, wasn't aware I could just simply shorten a bolt.

Re: Idle issue - August 20, 2014 02:36 pm UTC

Hacksaws are wonderful tools. But run a nut up past where you are cutting the bolt it will help clean up the threads when you remove it.

Re: Idle issue - August 20, 2014 02:37 pm UTC

I have one stud, maybe I will see if I can get a short enough stud to fit on the inside

OK I will give the hacksaw a go.
Posted By: Mike Eng

Re: Idle issue - August 20, 2014 02:47 pm UTC

Hacksaw a bolt? WTF.

Bench grinder FTW!

I've had to do it many times before realising just having the right hardware makes life easier. Just go into a hardware store with your bolt and get what you need. You risk screwing up your threads if you don't cut your bolt properly.
Posted By: Jeremy Gilbert

Re: Idle issue - August 20, 2014 03:09 pm UTC

Cutoff wheel, hacksaw, sawzall, bench grinder....use whatever you want. Not hard to cut metal.

But definitely put a nut on it first. As Mike said, simply cutting the bolt will muck up the threads. As Stephen said, the nut coming off the bolt afterwards will fix the threads. I've had to use this technique on about a dozen bolts in the last couple weeks to put things together; every one threaded perfectly afterwards. Use the nut wink
Posted By: Salomon Ponte

Re: Idle issue - August 20, 2014 03:19 pm UTC

Doesn't matter how you do it, just run it through a die afterwards to make sure the threads are good to go. The nut method will help keep a straight cut but I'd still run the bolt through a die regardless.
Posted By: Corte Beech

Re: Idle issue - August 20, 2014 03:20 pm UTC

Torqued to spec or cross threaded. Tight is tight tongue
Posted By: Jeremy Gilbert

Re: Idle issue - August 20, 2014 03:38 pm UTC

Good luck threading it into a die if you don't use the nut method wink

Edit: There is an alternative to the nut method: thread files. I'll leave it to you to decide if the cost it worth it smile
Posted By: Ziggy Dietrich

Re: Idle issue - August 20, 2014 10:08 pm UTC

It can also be done cleanly on a bench grinder with a bit of skill, but the nut method is fastest/easiest/best.

Re: Idle issue - August 21, 2014 02:03 am UTC

Well I cut a stud to fit the place because after I cut the bolt I could not get it to thread in the whole properly.
© 2024 Club DSM Canada