Noise Tranny Area

Posted By: Deep Mann

Noise Tranny Area - December 18, 2014 07:03 pm UTC

Hey Guys,

So the car is 97 GST. It was running really good and randomly started to run really rough at idle. When the clutch is depressed the engine shakes (almost like misfire) and when you press the clutch in it starts to run smooth.

In either case when you rev the motor it sounds really loud almost like spun balance shaft bearing. I pulled the tranny and everything looks good.

What you guys think ?
Posted By: Jeremy Gilbert

Re: Noise Tranny Area - December 18, 2014 07:25 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Deep Mann
When the clutch is depressed the engine shakes (almost like misfire) and when you press the clutch in it starts to run smooth.

This is contradictory.. can you clarify? It runs rough if you don't touch it, then runs smoothly with the clutch pushed in?

I don't want to pull out the "C" word.. but sounds like you'll have to pull the oil pan off at the least and take a look. Might want to check endplay.
Posted By: Mike Eng

Re: Noise Tranny Area - December 18, 2014 07:34 pm UTC

http://www.roadraceengineering.com/clutchandflywheeltech.htm

Check the "2g pedal pump up" section.

Last paragraph.

Jeremy might be right.

Re: Noise Tranny Area - December 18, 2014 09:04 pm UTC

No end play. Yeah when you leave it running the engine shakes and when you press the clutch in it starts to run smooth.

Re: Noise Tranny Area - December 18, 2014 09:29 pm UTC

Okay then yeah that's not likely crankwalk.

Sounds like something internal in the tranny.. maybe an input shaft bearing? I'd have to leave the speculation to people who know the insides a bit better, but my money is on you having to open her up.
Posted By: Reza Mirza

Re: Noise Tranny Area - December 18, 2014 09:53 pm UTC

Originally Posted by Jeremy Gilbert
Okay then yeah that's not likely crankwalk.

Sounds like something internal in the tranny.. maybe an input shaft bearing?

That's what my guess would be.
Posted By: Terry S

Re: Noise Tranny Area - December 18, 2014 10:23 pm UTC

I just so happen to have a 2g FWD trans waiting for a new owner. Deep text me if you are interested.

Re: Noise Tranny Area - December 18, 2014 10:41 pm UTC

So when it was pulled some bolts were missing, and there was a slight space very small between tranny and engine. What you guys think ?

Re: Noise Tranny Area - December 18, 2014 11:20 pm UTC

I'm guessing that's probably what killed the input shaft bearing (forcing it to be on an angle).
Posted By: Andre Mourinho

Re: Noise Tranny Area - December 18, 2014 11:21 pm UTC

Any space beetween engine and transmission is bad. I mean, the correct space is good (the starter plate spaces the transmission from the engine the correct amount).

If your transmission is not aligned perfectly (both dowel pins) and everything torqued properly, you could have the issue you're describing... I hate to admit it, but it happened to me ONCE, and never again.

Good luck Deep
© 2024 Club DSM Canada