Helicoil bottomed out

Posted By: Rob Strelecki

Helicoil bottomed out - August 19, 2017 05:54 pm UTC

I'm doing a thread repair for one of my exhaust manifold stud holes. It's a hole that was previously enlarged to 10mm.

I think I didn't drill far enough. I only took out the old threads by hand but it seems the 15mm helicoil needed to go deeper than what was previously drilled. The insertion tool kept spinning, past the tang and into the 8mm hole.

Here is the result:

[Linked Image]

So close! Just half a thread is out.
What should I do?

I know I can remove it because this is the second one I tried to install. But then what?
Posted By: Jeremy Gilbert

Re: Helicoil bottomed out - August 19, 2017 05:59 pm UTC

You can always clip a thread off with side cutters so the insert isn't quite as long. I've done that a couple times when the short inserts are too short and the longs are too long; make a long one a thread or two shorter and you should be good!

Re: Helicoil bottomed out - August 19, 2017 06:02 pm UTC

Ah! So simple smile Thanks for the quick help.
Posted By: Alex Akachinskiy

Re: Helicoil bottomed out - August 21, 2017 01:25 am UTC

Originally Posted by Jeremy Gilbert
You can always clip a thread off with side cutters so the insert isn't quite as long. I've done that a couple times when the short inserts are too short and the longs are too long; make a long one a thread or two shorter and you should be good!

tu

Re: Helicoil bottomed out - August 21, 2017 03:37 pm UTC

It worked great cool and it went in straighter than a time-sert I had done by a machine shop.

There is so much internet paranoia re. thread repair. Just gotta go slowly and keep it clean & oiled.
© 2024 Club DSM Canada