February 09, 2000 07:36 pm UTC
February 09, 2000 07:36 pm UTC
Welland, Ontario
P
Paul Kolbuc Offline OP
Paul Kolbuc  Offline OP
P
Welland, Ontario
Ok, I'm talk'n about the air-box, not the air-can.

Connected to your air canister is a plastic funnel, that leads down through part of the body, into a big black plastic box. This box is located between the tire and the front bumper.

I removed this box the other day, took a long time..couldn't fit a ratchet on the bolts, had to use a wrench and do one 1/4 turn at a time [Linked Image]

At the bottom of the box is one tiny pin-hole. It looks like that tiny hole is the only way air would get into the box, and then go up and through the funnel into your air can....they must have done this to keep your car sounding quiet...

With this box removed there is plenty of room to run a plastic hose down and over to the front bumper near the fog lights, to create a ram-air system. Or you could just cut at large hole into the bottom of that box, and attatch a hose to it there..

I'd imagine that the car is going to be even louder, when i rev, with that box removed [Linked Image]

Re: Air box = restriction #203182
February 09, 2000 08:00 pm UTC
February 09, 2000 08:00 pm UTC
Halifax Nova Scoita Canada
B
Brad McIntyre Offline
Brad McIntyre  Offline
B
Halifax Nova Scoita Canada
That is exactly what i did. You really do notice some more juice just by removing the box,but it is allot louder. I did the hose to the foglight opening with 3" tubing and you really notice an increase there. What i did was make a flush funnel to fit the foglight opening and ran smooth tubing from there, using gentle curves, and run it up flush with the air filter. The only concern i had was water getting to the filter and in the engine (not good [Linked Image] ) so what i did was get a slightly bigger piece of tubbing and put that right where the airbox, not can, was. It goes 3" tubbing, what i think is 3.25" tubbing, 3" tubbing and filter. With the bigger peice, drill a whole pile of holes in it. THis acts like a baffle of sorts and allows the little bits of water to escape and not get in the filter. If you were to do this and run the tubing into the old aircan this would create a small ram-air setup.

------------------
Brad McIntyre
91 Laser RS
maritime.dsm.org

Brad McIntyre
90 Talon TSI AWD
Re: Air box = restriction #203183
February 10, 2000 01:47 am UTC
February 10, 2000 01:47 am UTC

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is what I did last summer.
I took the "Resonator" out( By the way the holes in the resonator are drain holes ), to create a passage for my "Ram Air System"
Then using fibergalss, I made an Adaptor that I installed in the front facia, just bellow the headlight. I was thinking about using the resonator to make a water separator (create an area of low pressure) but I simply used a 4" drier ducting. I also had to remove a peice of metal, just in front of where the resonator was in order to
route the ducting to the hacked air can.
I don't run this set-up in winter. Got myself another aircan.
The end result was pretty good. Different set-up can be experimented but I think that we are on the right track.
My Cheezy web site is under reconstruction by I did put those pictures on my server. http://www.lks.net/~ghislisa/Hole.jpg http://www.lks.net/~ghislisa/AirTube.jpg http://www.lks.net/~ghislisa/Adaptor.jpg http://www.lks.net/~ghislisa/RamAir.jpg http://www.lks.net/~ghislisa/AirCan.jpg
Kick A$$.

Ghislain. ghislisa@lks.net

Re: Air box = restriction #203184
February 10, 2000 12:19 pm UTC
February 10, 2000 12:19 pm UTC
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
K
Kevin Champoux Offline
Serious Member
Kevin Champoux  Offline
Serious Member
K
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Looks like a good idea to me. I'll have to try this out this summer. I was also thinking of putting in an air intake made by Weapon-R. Called them up and they told me I would get 7-9HP more with their intake. There's a pre-built location for the stock MAF. This way I don't have to hack apart my air can and its still good for winter use. Think I'm also going to try and seal off the air filter from the engine bay some how. Hopefully this will give me some good HP & torque #'s across the board and not just in the high end...

------------------
Kevin Champoux
93 Laser RS (aqua)

Re: Air box = restriction #203185
February 10, 2000 09:32 pm UTC
February 10, 2000 09:32 pm UTC

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

WeponR want lot of money for this outfit. I think you could make your own for a lot cheaper. Go to a metal fabrication shop and ask them to make a replacement for the rubber hose. Go to your local speed shop and buy two adaptor to connect the new pipe to the aircan at one end and to the throttle body. Buy another aircan and hack the crap out of it, or cut the can and buy one before the next winter, this is what I did last year...
I don't have a metal pipe yet, but it is in the spring project...
I guess that it sounds pretty good when you hit RPM limiting with a metal intake pipe.
The metal tube acts as pipe organ to amplify the wa wa wa. ;~)

Ghislain

Re: Air box = restriction #203186
February 15, 2000 07:51 am UTC
February 15, 2000 07:51 am UTC

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

i have also done the same thing and man what a difference. first i did a jimmy job with some old rubber hoses, then i was impressed and i didnt have to hack my air can, i also notice and increase of gas being suck up < highways use > so i went and bought a manual choke cable and jimmied it up so it will raise the front of my intake when im on the highway. < i was filling my tank one extra time every two weeks, it got expensive. > the only thing was finding the right tubeing so it wouldn't kink, and with the cable i installed no worries on water unless you like deep puddles, just take them slow. (i haven't had a problem yet)

------------------
1993 Eagle Talon DL 1.8L
Beats Walkin'
§TOKE§

[This message has been edited by Panther (edited February 15, 2000).]

Re: Air box = restriction #203187
February 15, 2000 04:14 pm UTC
February 15, 2000 04:14 pm UTC

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Cool!

Re: Air box = restriction #203188
February 18, 2000 07:02 pm UTC
February 18, 2000 07:02 pm UTC

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey Ghislain, what kind of screen did use on your bumper? Is it metal or plastic? and how did you get it to stay there (screws or glue)? It looks pretty sweet..

Re: Air box = restriction #203189
February 18, 2000 10:22 pm UTC
February 18, 2000 10:22 pm UTC

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hey hey!

I did buy a sheet of 4ft by 8ft of "Metal Wire Mesh" at my local Steel Shop. It costed me 40 bucks. I cut a peice and use fiberglass to hold it in the "Adaptor" For the center peice I just bent an extra 1-1/2" 90 Deg and used two rivets to hold it into place.
I could sell you some for 5 bucks,if you happend to be driving to the Trenton On. area. Just drop me a line ghislisa@lks.net

BTW I'm still working on a web page. It describes some of the stuff I did to the ride. You can view it at; http://www.lks.net/~ghislisa/ It's not much of a site but it's mine. Warning; some of the "Thumbnail" might not work, just drop me a line if you find any. I'm still working on it.

One more thing, Today I went to a local speed shop. The Dude told me that Pace Setters are having a sell on their Headers. About $225CDN. You have to put your order in before the 25 feb 00.
Kick A$$.

Ghislain.