Fort Erie, Ont
J
Jay Warwick (Pham) Offline OP
Serious Member
Jay Warwick (Pham)  Offline OP
Serious Member
J
Fort Erie, Ont
I'm planning on rebuilding my 2gnt, I was going to rebuild my current engine, but have decided to buy a spare engine to build instead. I have thought about turboing the car, but I think I'm going to leave it NA.

I've made a list of things to replace on the top and bottom end;

Top End:
-Lifters
-Rockers
-Timing Belt
-Head gasket
-Cams
-Cam gears
-Valve springs/retainers

Bottom End:
-Rod bearing
-Main bearing
-Oil pump
-Oil pan gasket
-Rear main seal
-Rods
-Pistons
-Piston Rings
-Head studs/main studs

After reviewing my list and doing research, I have a couple questions..

1. What kind of cams and cam gears will work well together?
2. Can I use stock lifters, rockers, springs and retainers?
3. I'm not going to lower the compression because I don't think I'm turboing the car, but what compression ratio should I get, 10:5:1 or 12:1?

Those are the questions I have now, but I am also wondering what things I will need to buy at the dealership, and what parts are going to be aftermarket?

I'm not trying to build a race car or anything like that, I just want a solid NA that'll give some cars a good run for there money.

Any help or advice would be great for me at this point, I've never rebuilt an engine, and am excited to get this project started.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution V///
93 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution I
95 & 97 DSM
Re: 2gnt engine rebuild [Re: Jay Warwick (Pham)] #257252
February 25, 2008 04:02 am UTC
February 25, 2008 04:02 am UTC

N
Nick Heppes
Unregistered
Nick Heppes
Unregistered
N

I'm running 10:5:1 comp, turbo'd it last year and love it!

Re: 2gnt engine rebuild [Re: ] #257444
February 27, 2008 01:47 am UTC
February 27, 2008 01:47 am UTC
Calgary, AB
Rafael Pimentel III Offline
Serious Member
Rafael Pimentel III  Offline
Serious Member
Calgary, AB
I know every other turbo guy is reading this and asking themselves "why?" so I'll just say it.

WHY?

If you don't want a race car, or substantially build the block up to be fast, why go through the trouble.

Keep the engine that is in the car, a few bolt ons and call it a day.

The list that you have is pretty intense for a stock rebuild. Lifters, rockers, cams, gears for what? A combined 20 hp?

1)Stock
2)Yes, Unless you plan on revving HI
3)If you are going to stay NT, might as well go all out and get 12:1

I know you've put a lot of work into your car so I'm not going to tell you to sell it and get TSI but overall, your goals seem contradictory.

Why not turbo the car, run 7 pounds and make it as fast as a stock DSM?
NA is nice, but in a heavy car with an underpowered engine, it can get old fast.

Worst DSM'er Ever, Haven't had a DSM for 6 years.
Re: 2gnt engine rebuild [Re: Rafael Pimentel III] #257456
February 27, 2008 04:32 am UTC
February 27, 2008 04:32 am UTC
Fort Erie, Ont
J
Jay Warwick (Pham) Offline OP
Serious Member
Jay Warwick (Pham)  Offline OP
Serious Member
J
Fort Erie, Ont
Well I wanted to rebuild the engine because I want the car to last me a good couple years, so I figure putting another $2000 or so into the car is going to be a lot cheaper then just buying a new car, plus I've done alot to my car already and I would hate to see it go.

I don't want to be criticized for not going turbo. The reason I haven't considered the turbo route is because I simply don't have the cash for it. If my goal was turbo, I'd sell it and buy a TSI.

I guess I see the point your making when you say " if your not going to turbo it or race it...then why put the money into it"

I'd like to build it up as well to see where it'll take me in the future, maybe down the road I will turbo it...but for now I just want something solid.

03 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution V///
93 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution I
95 & 97 DSM
Re: 2gnt engine rebuild [Re: Jay Warwick (Pham)] #257459
February 27, 2008 04:54 am UTC
February 27, 2008 04:54 am UTC
The Planet
E
EK Offline
Insane Member
EK  Offline
Insane Member
E
The Planet
I'm in the same boat Jay.. I've put a few bucks into upgrading my ESi without going overboard, or going turbo. I've also put too much work in, and I certainly understand your perspective. If you're going to go so deep as to replace pistons.. might as well get the high compression ones. You'll notice a difference. For lifters, springs, retainers, etc.. you will be fine with OEM to be honest. Even with a new set of cams and gears. Unless you go for lumpy cams, then upgrade. Even with little bolt on upgrades like my AEM-V2 Cold Air/K&N Filter, you'll notice a difference.

One thing I like about the NT engine, is that it is a solid and simple platform. When you're ready, I've built mine and would love to help.

On another note, If you're looking for NT stuffs, I've got a spare cylinder head/springs/retainers/cams all OEM if you want. Also got a spare underdrive pulley.

Re: 2gnt engine rebuild [Re: EK] #257464
February 27, 2008 05:22 am UTC
February 27, 2008 05:22 am UTC

N
Nick Heppes
Unregistered
Nick Heppes
Unregistered
N

Jay I wouldn't worry about the head, I'm running 16psi on a stock head and its fine.
Although in the future as raf said, if your looking to raise your rpm limit, might as well do it once.

My recommendation, would be go with the 10:5:1 pistions.
You'll notice the difference and once you get bored of it, you have a nice setup to turbo in the future. I think I paid an extra $250 for the high comp pistons over the stockers.

I would add some eagle rods though, wont make a difference when your N/A but again if even in the future you do decide to go turbo, you dont want to do things twice.

I think looking at it like " if i'm going to go turbo, I need a tsi or gst ect.." is wrong.

For the money you've probably spent on your car and work you put in, would it not be a big waste to sell it off?

Our cars are good up to 600hp.. if you wish to make more then that in the future, sell your car for a tsi or whatever.

If your cool with 600 or less, keep it and have fun