October 30, 2009 04:25 pm UTC
October 30, 2009 04:25 pm UTC
Ontario
Malcolm Harris Offline
Serious Member
Malcolm Harris  Offline
Serious Member
Ontario
Yes Gl-5 is fine for rear diff and t-case AFAIK. My 1Gen tranny didn't shift nicely with the royal purple seemed to thin causing shifter block @ higher revs. The 1Gen tranny is much more sensitive to fluids as the syncro's where not a perfected design, the earlier the tranny the worse the syncro & hub assembly engagment became, and they changed/revised the design every year from 89-95, not sure bout the later.

Re: Suggested Tranny Fluid? [Re: toddmeunier] #317444
October 30, 2009 08:47 pm UTC
October 30, 2009 08:47 pm UTC
Newmarket, Ontario
Daren Peacock Offline
Insane Member
Daren Peacock  Offline
Insane Member
Newmarket, Ontario
Originally Posted by toddmeunier
Am I the only one running shockproof?

Shockproof is great in the transfer & rear diff but I didn't want to run it because of this, quoted from TRE's page:

There are concerns about using REDLINE SHOCKPROOF type gear oils inside manual transmissions. While this is truly an excellent product, it has been found that the heavy paraffin-like particles are quickly centrifuged out of the oil and build up inside the center diff housing and around the synchronizers and inside of the gearshafts. After several oil changes this build up may block oiling passages inside the gearshafts that lubricate the needle bearings and can reduce the overall effectiveness of the synchronizers, leading to poor shift quality. Also this oil is has too high of a viscosity for winter use. Therefore we do not suggest using SHOCKPROOF in the transmission unless the transmission is to be serviced often or a dog box.

Are you running straight SP or is it mixed? Maybe this isn't so much of an issue when your mixing the SP with reg fluid? I know a bunch of higher hp guys on the link board had said they ran some version of a mix with the SP but I don't know if or how often they had the tranny out for service.

98 Eclipse GSX DSM82HTA
Re: Suggested Tranny Fluid? [Re: Daren Peacock] #317549
November 02, 2009 12:40 am UTC
November 02, 2009 12:40 am UTC
Portland, OR
toddmeunier Offline
Serious Member
toddmeunier  Offline
Serious Member
Portland, OR
Originally Posted by Daren Peacock
Originally Posted by toddmeunier
Am I the only one running shockproof?

Shockproof is great in the transfer & rear diff but I didn't want to run it because of this, quoted from TRE's page:

There are concerns about using REDLINE SHOCKPROOF type gear oils inside manual transmissions. While this is truly an excellent product, it has been found that the heavy paraffin-like particles are quickly centrifuged out of the oil and build up inside the center diff housing and around the synchronizers and inside of the gearshafts. After several oil changes this build up may block oiling passages inside the gearshafts that lubricate the needle bearings and can reduce the overall effectiveness of the synchronizers, leading to poor shift quality. Also this oil is has too high of a viscosity for winter use. Therefore we do not suggest using SHOCKPROOF in the transmission unless the transmission is to be serviced often or a dog box.

Are you running straight SP or is it mixed? Maybe this isn't so much of an issue when your mixing the SP with reg fluid? I know a bunch of higher hp guys on the link board had said they ran some version of a mix with the SP but I don't know if or how often they had the tranny out for service.

Straight up lightweight shockproof. It is what Shep recommended for my power level.

90 Talon 10.089 @ 139.34
Mastah-tuned
TPG + Meth
Re: Suggested Tranny Fluid? [Re: Reza Mirza] #339363
September 24, 2010 11:00 pm UTC
September 24, 2010 11:00 pm UTC
Kingston ON
W
wade harrison Offline
wade harrison  Offline
W
Kingston ON
Originally Posted by Reza Mirza
Use the semi synthetic blend. Blue bottle. I run that straight in the tranny and t case, or mix with BG II as I mentioned above.

Back from the dead, but I went to CTC to grab some 'blue bottle', and it now says " good for gl-4 and gl-5 applications".
Aacckk, now did they just change the label and its still safe or what? CTC did not have any GL-4 only rated 75/90.

89 Colt 4g63t
Re: Suggested Tranny Fluid? [Re: wade harrison] #339478
September 26, 2010 05:46 am UTC
September 26, 2010 05:46 am UTC
Belleville, Ontario
Jay McClelland Offline
Insane Member
Jay McClelland  Offline
Insane Member
Belleville, Ontario
I second this I go tomorrow to get my Tranny fluids.

Is it really going to be safe for the tranny and rear end now?

2g awd, Back to dsms here I come.
Re: Suggested Tranny Fluid? [Re: Rob Gripper] #453872
November 01, 2017 11:39 am UTC
November 01, 2017 11:39 am UTC
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Bryan Lawrence Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Bryan Lawrence  Offline
Caledon, Ontario, Canada
Want to resurrect this and see what others are using.
Shockproof in the xfer case and diff seems popular.
Mr Drew had informed me of this and also to use motul 300 75w90 in the trans.

What yall using?

"Old Blue" 91 Talon TSi AWD
"Super Enthusiast" 91 Talon TSi AWD
Checkout DSMFAQ.com!
Re: Suggested Tranny Fluid? [Re: Rob Gripper] #453873
November 01, 2017 03:27 pm UTC
November 01, 2017 03:27 pm UTC
Schomberg
T
Tashko Sarakinov Offline
Serious Member
Tashko Sarakinov  Offline
Serious Member
T
Schomberg

I'm still using Amsoil 75W90 GL4 tranny & transfer and Amsoil 80W90 GL5 for the rear diff. When I run out of my current Amsoil stock I'll probably just grab whatever is on sale but stick with the weight and GL ratings as prescribed.

No complaints from me or the drivetrain so far on the Amsoil stuff.

Re: Suggested Tranny Fluid? [Re: Rob Gripper] #453879
November 02, 2017 02:34 pm UTC
November 02, 2017 02:34 pm UTC
Ajax, ON
Reza Mirza Offline
Reza Mirza  Offline
Ajax, ON
I'm still using regular off the shelf gear oil, however mixed with Evo9 MR Diaqueen, in a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio. Transfer case uses straight regular off the shelf gear oil and so does the rear diff.

My car is making 830WHP/650 ft lbs ,3300 lbs with me in it, running 10.0's and 149 MPH in the 1/4 on a stock syncro transmission, stock transfer case and stock rear diff, and it's still working for me.... I recommend the same mix to all my customers with high power level and it works for them too...

These transmissions were designed in the 90's and used regular gear oil back then which worked well for longevity and durability. Along came the fancy synthetic fluids which IMHO just accelerate bearing, syncro and gear wear for a quicker shift. With the transmission I build these days with double syncros, new hub/sliders and proper clutch adjustment, fancy gear oil is simply not needed in order for it to shift nice at high rpm.

People still ask me over and over again what I'm using in the transmission to keep it together. I keep telling everyone the same thing: regular gear oil will make the transmission last the longest smile

1G DSM: 1000+ AWHP, 9.2@162.83 MPH
Evo X: 746 AWHP, XR9569S pump gas
www.dynotuneracing.com

Page 2 of 2 1 2