Rate Thread
Overboosted...HELP! #88260
February 18, 2000 09:12 am UTC
February 18, 2000 09:12 am UTC
C
Clemens Leung Offline OP
Clemens Leung  Offline OP
C
I was messing around with my bleeder valve and got the adjusting directions mixed...anyway, I gunned it and hit 19+ PSI...then I heard this loud whistle, kinda like the sound a GReddy BOV makes. Then I let off the gas and popped it in neutral. I stopped the car, and the car revved all the way to 4,000 RPM by itself in neutral without me touching the gas! I limped it back home, and the thing literally drove itself in gear w/o me touching the gas. When I got home, I resetted the ECU, checked my plugs, redid my I/C hose connections and started it back up. It ran fine through the gears, but when I was in boost, it made this loud "drilling" sound. It pulled as hard as before, back to the 14 psi I had previously set, only the sound is VERY noticable. That's the description of the sound...loud electric drill/whistle...does anyone know what happen? Is my turbo "broke"? Can it be the BOV? I looked for leaks but everything seems tight...pls. help if you know anything. THanks! =(

Re: Overboosted...HELP! #88261
February 18, 2000 03:30 pm UTC
February 18, 2000 03:30 pm UTC

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hopefully you'll get another answer other than mine but although you can't find any leaks i'm wondering if at 14psi you have one?

What year is your car? Mods?

------------------
Corey Kaye
1998 Eagle Talon TSi

Re: Overboosted...HELP! #88262
February 19, 2000 12:51 pm UTC
February 19, 2000 12:51 pm UTC
C
Clemens Leung Offline OP
C
Finally got the car running back to normal (don't ask me how I did it). The "whine" is still there...my car sounds like a supercharged Integra when the boost guage goes past zero. Couldn't really tell if it was coming from the engine or not, BUT...I'm pretty sure it's coming from the fuel pump...since it's more of a "whine" noise than anything else. Is the stock pump suppose to "whine"? Does it mean it's broken/going bad? Is it dangerous to be boosting with this noise coming from the back?

Re: Overboosted...HELP! #88263
February 19, 2000 09:07 pm UTC
February 19, 2000 09:07 pm UTC
Brampton, On
Mark PPG Scheitzbach Offline

Purple Boy
Mark PPG Scheitzbach  Offline

Purple Boy
Insane Member
Brampton, On
Not to alarm you or anything, because I could be wrong. But Ian had a sound similar to a drill when the turbo was spooling. It ended up being his turbine was scraping the side of the housing. In other words, it may be time for a new turbo [Linked Image] or [Linked Image] depending on how you look at it.

------------------
PurplePlymouthGuy
1992 Laser AWD
DSMentia support group leader...
so many mods, I don't remember if its 20G or 20g's

Own a BlackBerry?
Check out www.allaboutmybb.com
Twitter @allaboutmybb

Twitter @MarkPPG
Re: Overboosted...HELP! #88264
February 21, 2000 11:48 am UTC
February 21, 2000 11:48 am UTC
Edmonton, Alberta
D
Darin Chalifoux Offline
Darin Chalifoux  Offline
D
Edmonton, Alberta
You can always expect some "whine" out of a turbo, but it shouldn't be excessive.

only time I got lots of whine was running over 20 psi out of my 14B. Otherwise, you could hear it, but you would have to listen for it.

I'd say take a hard look at your turbo, man.
Fuel pump will make a bit of a whine... easy way to tell if it's your fuel pump (and you haven't done the rewire) is to listen for the whine at idle, turn on your lights, your signals, whatever, and listen for a cahnge in pitch. If this is so, then it is your fuel pump... after doing the rewire, this will be elimated tho :-)

Only time I had the car basically drive itelf at 4 grand RPMS was when after doing my FMIC install, I foprgot to reconnect the BOV dump tube, and had that hole wide open in the tube between the MAF and the turbo (bit of a leak, eh?? :-) ) So maybe your BOV let go, or some damn thing... check for massive leaks as well.

------------------
Darin Chalifoux
92 Laser AWD
"Fat guys can drive, too!"
Edmonton

http://www.cadvision.com/whitecd/CADSM/darin.html

1992 Talon AWD Auto
1993 Dodge Colt
1997 Ram 1500 4x4 360cid
Re: Overboosted...HELP! #88265
February 22, 2000 04:40 am UTC
February 22, 2000 04:40 am UTC
C
Clemens Leung Offline OP
C
Thanks for all the replies guys...finally found out that my turbo sucked in a chunk of the little rubber spacer thing that's in the MAS intake tube that connects to the turbo. Looked in there and saw some fins are missing/bent. Not too bad...but bad enough to make the loud electric drill sound. Wheel still spins at least. [Linked Image] Is it bad to continue boosting with the turbo this way? I know I should replace the wheel, but is it "bad" since I don't really notice any performance loss. Also, where would the chunk of debris I sucked up go? It's not in the intercooler...or the pipes...will it be blown out the exhaust?

Re: Overboosted...HELP! #88266
February 23, 2000 01:20 pm UTC
February 23, 2000 01:20 pm UTC
Brockville Ontario
P
Peter Meier Offline
Peter Meier  Offline
P
Brockville Ontario
I'm not sure about the amount of debris you're talking about, but remember, it has to go thru your valves first. If debris holds your valve open, and the piston comes up ......... [Linked Image]

------------------
Fast & Awesome Handling
'90 AWD
$h!tbox

Fast & Awesome Handling
'90 AWD
$h!tbox