May 26, 2000 04:03 am UTC
May 26, 2000 04:03 am UTC
Brampton, On
J
Jazz S. Bola Offline OP
Jazz S. Bola  Offline OP
J
Brampton, On
I started my car up this morning and heard the most god awful noise. It sounded like a motor that was runnng without oil! I shut the car off and checked the oil everything was fine. The problem seems to be the throwout bearing since the noise went away after I let the clutch out. I drove it down the street and the noise eventually went away. What would cause this? And not that I'm complaining but why did the noise eventually go away?

Also the clutch doesn't seem to pop back up as fast as it used to.

I need help to determine what it did this so I don't end up stranded on the side of the road.

Jazz

Re: Yo I got problems! #88864
May 26, 2000 11:47 am UTC
May 26, 2000 11:47 am UTC

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just a suggestion since I am also having clutch ailments (grinding in reverse).... You can try to bleed the clutch line. Perhaps there is air in there that is preventing the clutch from properly engaging.

Re: Yo I got problems! #88865
May 26, 2000 11:51 am UTC
May 26, 2000 11:51 am UTC
Smiths Falls, Ontario, Canada
S
Steve Rennick Offline
Steve Rennick  Offline
S
Smiths Falls, Ontario, Canada
I had a similar problem a while back...I was getting the same noise (throwout bearing) only it went away...then a couple of days later, the clutch was f*%^ed and I was stranded on the side of the road and had to get it towed...the beautiful thing about all of this is, I had just had my clutch replaced about 2000km before, and they didn't replace the throwout bearing like I asked...needless to say, they replaced the clutch with no cost to me...

Re: Yo I got problems! #88866
May 26, 2000 02:54 pm UTC
May 26, 2000 02:54 pm UTC
J
Joel Cline Offline
Joel Cline  Offline
J
I had similar problems 3 weeks ago, I would have to agree on the thorowout bearing. After replacing it no more problems.
Was the car shaking?Also the engagement was different, the clutch had a different feel and it popped back differently.
Also I was having grinding in reverse. I was bleeding the clutch during the problem period, felt fine afterwards but the problems quickly returned. If it grinds, put the car in gear while it is off then start it.

Re: Yo I got problems! #88867
May 26, 2000 03:38 pm UTC
May 26, 2000 03:38 pm UTC
Toronto, Ontario
T
Tony Aleluia Offline
Tony Aleluia  Offline
T
Toronto, Ontario
heh, been there done that.. Sorry to hear about someone else having the same problems... I would probably say that even if you bleed the lines it will eventually be screwed again, the clutch master and slave cylinders are probably the cause of the pedal not popping back, they probably need to be replaced. I would check the master first, it is on the firewall and on the inside of the engine compartment, usually that will fix it.
If it doesnt, and you have bled the system and it didnt help, step 2 would be to switch the slave which is near the tranny.
If it still has problems, I would then say look at the throw out bearing / flywheel (whatever it is at that point, its gonna get expensive.

All of this is just my opinion, I may be wrong.

Thanks

Why does everything cost " A THOUSAND DOLLARS? "
Re: Yo I got problems! #88868
May 26, 2000 06:02 pm UTC
May 26, 2000 06:02 pm UTC
Nearest Swimming Pool
D
Doug Vanderby Offline
Doug Vanderby  Offline
D
Nearest Swimming Pool
Jazz,
Check your Slave Clutch Cylinder and see if it's bent around the bolt or broken.
Time for that Vett.
Later,

------------------
Doug V.
"Swim or Die"
97 TSi AWD TALON

~~~Doug V~~~
‘Swim or Die’
97/05 MAGNUS TSi AWD
Re: Yo I got problems! #88869
May 26, 2000 08:34 pm UTC
May 26, 2000 08:34 pm UTC
Brampton, On
J
Jazz S. Bola Offline OP
Jazz S. Bola  Offline OP
J
Brampton, On
Well after reporting that the noise went away after driving it for a while it returned this morning. I adjusted the clutch pedal since the bolt wasn't on tight and the clutch was engaging only 1/2" from the floor. While doing this I noticed something weird. I guess I adjusted it too much because the clutch would not even pop up without me having to stick my foot behind it to pull it up. I readjusted it and it seems fine. After 2 or 3 shifts the noise seems to ALMOST dissappear.

The car drives fine and the clutch still feels strong so I think I can eliminate that as being the problem. I'll check the master and slave cylinders. Thanks for the help guys.

Doug: Did you have the same symptons when your slave went? I'm not selling the Talon (friend lost his job) and I'm probably just gonna fix the talon up and get a bike as well. I got denied OSAP so that's $11,000 I gotta pay for the year!

Jazz

Re: Yo I got problems! #88870
May 26, 2000 08:38 pm UTC
May 26, 2000 08:38 pm UTC
Brampton, On
J
Jazz S. Bola Offline OP
Jazz S. Bola  Offline OP
J
Brampton, On
One more thing, don't know if it's related or not.

When I am at a red light and I slowly let the car roll (forward or backward) I get a groaning type noise. Any ideas?

Re: Yo I got problems! #88871
May 27, 2000 02:13 am UTC
May 27, 2000 02:13 am UTC
Nearest Swimming Pool
D
Doug Vanderby Offline
Doug Vanderby  Offline
D
Nearest Swimming Pool
Hey Jazz,
Glad to hear things are better.
As you know I am not a mechanic. But here's my two sense worth:
Sounds like that clutch bolt lossen itself up, when I was playing with mine I noticed once you go past a certain point, you get a very soft clutch.....
Before my slave cylinder went I was getting that grinding sound after stoping then proceeding in first gear. When the slave broke it was messy, clutch fuild all over the place...
I guess the best thing to do is to take it to Magnus and have the boys look at it.
Education before a Vett, smart move...
Later,

~~~Doug V~~~
‘Swim or Die’
97/05 MAGNUS TSi AWD