Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Weird vibrations...tranny? engine mounts? I've never heard of a problem like this... #92691
April 04, 2001 11:18 pm UTC
April 04, 2001 11:18 pm UTC
Waterloo, ON
M
Matt Pratola Offline OP
Serious Member
Matt Pratola  Offline OP
Serious Member
M
Waterloo, ON
Wow its been awhile since i've been on here. But as my talon eased over 200K kms, it figures my luck would run out :>

Recently some very odd vibrations and noises have appeard and worsen considerably in a very short time span. When i gear down, the trans makes a high sounding whine noise (ala drilling metal), not your typical dsm coastdown that we are all used to. Also, there seems to be a background bearing noise when in gear and driving. But the worse is when the car is in gear, if i put too much load (ie gas, really anything more that 0psi) the whole car vibrates and shakes quite noticeably. Feels like this is coming from the front & centre of the car - i'm suspecting either engine mount or something wrong with the tranny. Its not the engine, this only occurs with the car in gear. Gear selection does not have much effect. Anybody have any experiences like this?

I've stopped driving the car for now (definetly does not sound safe) and will get around to looking in more detail at it but don't really have the time right now. If anyone has heard of this problem, let me know!

Thanks
Matt
92tsiAWD

95tsiAWD - the mean funky green machine
RIP: 92tsiAWD 6/4 - taken out by hood opening @ 90kph
Re: Weird vibrations...tranny? engine mounts? I've never heard of a problem like this... #92692
April 05, 2001 03:02 am UTC
April 05, 2001 03:02 am UTC
North of T.O.
L
Len Randall Offline
Serious Member
Len Randall  Offline
Serious Member
L
North of T.O.
check the fluid level in your transfer case, Tranny, and rear diff.

------------------
Len...
92 Talon TSi AWD
89 2000 GTX

'92 Talon TSi AWD.
Re: Weird vibrations...tranny? engine mounts? I've never heard of a problem like this... #92693
April 05, 2001 07:31 pm UTC
April 05, 2001 07:31 pm UTC
Malaysia
Jeremy Chin Offline
Jeremy Chin  Offline
Malaysia
I have about the about the same problem with my 89 2000GTX with 210K. The whine is getting more persistant and much louder and it's amost impossible to modulate the cluth pedal when moving off from 1st gear (Get's worst when hot, lots of stop and go traffic)...resulting in severe vibrations and shakes...making me look real stupid. Feels like the clutch is grabing unevenly. I'm getting a new clutch on monday (as well and getting my flywheel machined). I'll keep you posted if the new clutch solves the problem.

300hp Talon to a 50hp Citroen. Lovely ain't it?
Back to another Mits.
A Mirage Cyborg as a future 4G63T candidate.

"I've had more Mitsu's than you can imagine"
Re: Weird vibrations...tranny? engine mounts? I've never heard of a problem like this... #92694
April 06, 2001 08:10 pm UTC
April 06, 2001 08:10 pm UTC
Windsor, Ont.
P
Pavel Abraham Offline
Pavel Abraham  Offline
P
Windsor, Ont.
I have similar vibration during coastdown or slow acceleration, but it feels like it's coming from underneath center console. Checked my carrier bearings and driveshaft feels pretty loose, so I suspect that's the problem. It's more noticeable after longer city driving-think because rubber around bearing gets softer from exhaust heat and shaft can move more freely. If weather permits I will replace these this weekend and see if that helps.
Pavel.

'94 TSi AWD
'02 Altima 2.5 SL [POS]
Re: Weird vibrations...tranny? engine mounts? I've never heard of a problem like this... #92695
April 06, 2001 11:52 pm UTC
April 06, 2001 11:52 pm UTC
Waterloo, ON
M
Matt Pratola Offline OP
Serious Member
Matt Pratola  Offline OP
Serious Member
M
Waterloo, ON
Yeah i was thinking possibly the carrier bearing also, but mine's been dead for ages, why it would cause such a sudden change is odd. I suspect something is shifting causing the whine during coastdown, and the bearing noise during motion and the vibration when in gear and on the gas. Does the driveshaft continue to rotate when not in gear? Because this only happens when you start to give the car some power - ie its set off by some torque input.

Oh well, keep you posted, it'll be awhile b4 i can fix it though (finals et al)

Matt
92tsiAWD

95tsiAWD - the mean funky green machine
RIP: 92tsiAWD 6/4 - taken out by hood opening @ 90kph
Re: Weird vibrations...tranny? engine mounts? I've never heard of a problem like this... #92696
April 13, 2001 01:33 am UTC
April 13, 2001 01:33 am UTC
Malaysia
Jeremy Chin Offline
Jeremy Chin  Offline
Malaysia
Got my car back today from a new clutch and the clutch release cylinder install. Got rid of the shaking when moving off from 1st. Man..my clutch was really fried...was almost down to the rivets..which was causing the sqeal/whine. The flywheel was still ok so that saved me another $75...had the linkages and cables adjusted and greased...so much easier shifting from gear to gear. There's still some trouble shifting into reverse though although not serious.

Nice to be able to hook up properly again.

one more major component to replace..the infamous timing belt time bomb.

does any one know how to fix a sticking throttle..mine seems to be caused by a weak spring somewhere that leaves it idling at 1500-2000 rpm. Will idle normally when the pedal is lifted slightly.

has anyone used/heard of Lucas engine/tranny additives? My mechanic was saying that I should try it out ..sayz that it works better then the mopar friction modifyer stuff.

300hp Talon to a 50hp Citroen. Lovely ain't it?
Back to another Mits.
A Mirage Cyborg as a future 4G63T candidate.

"I've had more Mitsu's than you can imagine"
Re: Weird vibrations...tranny? engine mounts? I've never heard of a problem like this... #92697
April 13, 2001 11:00 am UTC
April 13, 2001 11:00 am UTC
Halifax, NS
Troy Jollimore Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Troy Jollimore  Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Halifax, NS
I know their oil additive eventually leaves a 'gum' on engine parts that causes interference, and is almost impossible to remove...

Matt, the shaft is still spinning while coasting, but it's happily sitting in it's bearings. Under power, it's being 'pressed' one way or another, and will bang around if the bearings are weak.