July 10, 2002 02:36 am UTC
July 10, 2002 02:36 am UTC
Wingham, Ontario
L
Leonard Shropshall Offline OP
Leonard Shropshall  Offline OP
L
Wingham, Ontario
I have major shifter movement in 3rd and 5th, 4th gear kicks me right out every time if I dont hold it there with my hand! I looked under the hood and it looks lile I am leaking fluid from the gasket that joins the tranny to the engine! It also feel like the clutch is slipping, but only when I down shift!! Please help. . .
Len

90 Laser RS NA
The fastest car in my laneway!!
Re: Tranny help!!!!! #98652
July 10, 2002 03:06 am UTC
July 10, 2002 03:06 am UTC
Hamilton
A
Amin Ahmadi Offline
Insane Member
Amin Ahmadi  Offline
Insane Member
A
Hamilton
if I had that car I would have no doubt went toward the transmission input bearing

I am leaking fluid from the gasket that joins the tranny to the engine
There is no gasket like that. If you see that fron under then it is most likely tranny fluid or if it is from above that could be engine oil.

I just had a case JUST like that. a bad grinding noise when acc./dec.
in 5th only one day the stick was vibrating VERY BAD!.
the last day the stick jumped out of the 4th gear. I had to keep it there with hand. and it shook of course.

The clutch slipped a while back but fixed on its own telling me there was an oil leak
I changed the fluid couple of days before the car became undrivable. and that caused a SERIOUS slip.

those were the symptoms but what was the disease?

The input shaft bearing was shot. must have been for a while before it got nasty. The fluid leak from there inside the clutch housing and soaked the disk. CHange of the fluid increased the amount of fluid in the tranny causing it to leak again.

the loose shaft caused the stick to jump out. Otherwise in everyother way the tranny was perfect and before that there was NO shifting problem whatsoever.

That is my opinion, I can't tell if yours is exatly like that but indeed you tranny probabely needs to come out,

but before getting there make sure the cables are adjusted properly. it COULD be coincidence of souple of issues together but.....

Good Luck
Amin

Re: Tranny help!!!!! #98653
July 10, 2002 01:45 pm UTC
July 10, 2002 01:45 pm UTC
Wingham, Ontario
L
L
Wingham, Ontario
Is a proceedure like that costly???

90 Laser RS NA
Re: Tranny help!!!!! #98654
July 10, 2002 04:17 pm UTC
July 10, 2002 04:17 pm UTC
Hamilton
A
Amin Ahmadi Offline
Insane Member
Amin Ahmadi  Offline
Insane Member
A
Hamilton
-The TRansmission must come down.

-Be repaird

-and be put back on with a new clutch.

Removal and re installation of tranny is just like a worn clutch service. about 300 or a bit more. with some 200+ for the clutch disk,

However repair is a different story,
the tranny itself must be dissembles for that, I didn't do it. I had another tranny however Pascal has the old tranny and should be working on it.

BUt I don't think there should be too much cost to it. most likely 2 bearings and 2 sealings or. but that COULD lead to failure of other stuff, I doubt though. However labour could be something . I have NO idea how much they charge to rip apart a tranny. Anyways a working on could be bought from 250 for a FWT NT to 500 for T-AWD.

Hope that helps
Amin

Re: Tranny help!!!!! #98655
July 11, 2002 01:50 pm UTC
July 11, 2002 01:50 pm UTC
Wingham, Ontario
L
L
Wingham, Ontario
Had an Estimate done at candian Tire in Hanover yesterday. $850 was the estimate plus it could be more if they find anything else in there. The good news is that he took it for a drive and thinks the clutch is fine. he said he thinks it might just be the input shaft gasket because it is not as bad as I think it is, but that is still $850 + to fix it. . . I don't know ifi t is worth it or not.

90 Laser RS NA
Re: Tranny help!!!!! #98656
July 11, 2002 07:53 pm UTC
July 11, 2002 07:53 pm UTC
North of T.O.
L
Len Randall Offline
Serious Member
Len Randall  Offline
Serious Member
L
North of T.O.
Canadian tire sucks.....period

they WILL rip you off.

How far from Toronto are you...I could probly get you a good tranny for around $600 bucks maybe less and with warantee.

'92 Talon TSi AWD.
Re: Tranny help!!!!! #98657
July 11, 2002 08:35 pm UTC
July 11, 2002 08:35 pm UTC
Hamilton
A
Amin Ahmadi Offline
Insane Member
Amin Ahmadi  Offline
Insane Member
A
Hamilton
I am not very strict about my mechanic and do NOT have a certain mechanic that I would go. but Canadian Tire IS NOT the place I go to for that. I don't want to offend any one or question the knowledge of a mechanic guy that might have been mechanic more than my entire life. But how the hell did he tell the clutch is fine?
If it is slipping it is slipping, as I said that could be due to the oil in there. One thing you might consider is that once you pay $850 and have the transmission out why shouldn't you change the clutch that god kows how old it is!(if it has been changed recently that's another story). AND BY THE WAY once a asbestos disk is soaked in oil it never gets it traction back fully(am I right folks?)

and he said that is the gasket only?
first of all what gaske. As far as I have seen in three trannies and two cars that I have dealt with, there is no gasket there. a Input shaft sealing(are those spring/rubber washers gasket too??)
There is almost NO ---- WAY that a gasket only would cause it to jump out of the gear. the gasket almost NEVER dies on its own. the death happens when the bearing is shot.

and a local mechanic would do a better job for cheaper but maybe a less reliable warranty.
and getting the tax into account that would be 1000. Hell no way!

I am MORE THAN SURE that once they open the thing they realize there is more damage than the "gasket"(what gasket is that anyways?) and then the bill goes up.

A buddy got a "NEW" AWD tranmission INSTALLED for $750.

my $0.02 CAD
Amin

Re: Tranny help!!!!! #98658
July 11, 2002 08:49 pm UTC
July 11, 2002 08:49 pm UTC
Loc: Loc:
Rob Strelecki Offline

morum foderator
Rob Strelecki  Offline

morum foderator
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Loc: Loc:
I have a friend who works at a CT auto service counter. He told me he would NEVER recommend CT auto service to anyone. The things he can see happening in the shop through the window are distrubing to say the least. They are the kind of shop that feeds off customers' ignorance. Besides, do you really want some kid who's learning to be a mechanic using your car as a test subject?

1993 Eagle Talon TSi FWD
13.8 @ 106 :::: 14.1 @ 117
Re: Tranny help!!!!! #98659
July 12, 2002 07:21 am UTC
July 12, 2002 07:21 am UTC
Mississauga, Ont
Jerry Rose Offline
Insane Member
Jerry Rose  Offline
Insane Member
Mississauga, Ont
If there is one thing you get from this thread is do not.....DO NOT...let a crappy tire mechanic do anything but check your tire pressure..period exclamation point. They may be able to work on a cavalier or even a grand am (hey i am being nice here) but they and most other mechanics do not have a friggin clue as to how to repair a talon especially anything as complicated as drivetrain work....and dont even think about letting them touch your engine. You need to find a shop with some experience with talons. I have had one mechanic work on my talons for the past 10 years and the few times where i let some schmuck in overalls get under my hood because i was in a jam cost me $$$$, time and aggravation. I even gave magnus a shot installing an ACT clutch and when i got home all the intercooler/aircan hoses that they took off for the install werent reclamped/tightened and there was grease everywhere. Well here endeth the rant for now. the point is spend some time to find the right shop or you will be paying now and later

Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
Re: Tranny help!!!!! #98660
July 19, 2002 10:29 pm UTC
July 19, 2002 10:29 pm UTC
Wingham, Ontario
L
L
Wingham, Ontario
On a positive note, I took my car to a mechanic whom I can trust. What he told me was totally different and even took the time to show me the stuff. What happened is the tranny rocker on the front has split and gone so the tranny moves as you press or release the gas pedal. Since it does this it broke the seal from the tranny to the engine, and that is why it is leaking. He told me it might not be a bad idea to get a new clutch and maybe check out the internal parts of the tranny since it has to come off anyways. He can fix it for a lot less. So I am thinking about it and I might get a preformace clutch put in when I get it fixed. Oh yeah, the price will be a lot lot less since I work at Tim-Br Mart and get a 15% discount on parts and 10% discount on labour!

90 Laser RS NA
Re: Tranny help!!!!! #98661
July 19, 2002 11:25 pm UTC
July 19, 2002 11:25 pm UTC
Hamilton
A
Amin Ahmadi Offline
Insane Member
Amin Ahmadi  Offline
Insane Member
A
Hamilton
Originally posted by Leonard Shropshall:
On a positive note, I took my car to a mechanic whom I can trust. What he told me was totally different and even took the time to show me the stuff. What happened is the tranny rocker on the front has split and gone so the tranny moves as you press or release the gas pedal. Since it does this it broke the seal from the tranny to the engine, and that is why it is leaking. He told me it might not be a bad idea to get a new clutch and maybe check out the internal parts of the tranny since it has to come off anyways. He can fix it for a lot less. So I am thinking about it and I might get a preformace clutch put in when I get it fixed. Oh yeah, the price will be a lot lot less since I work at Tim-Br Mart and get a 15% discount on parts and 10% discount on labour!
Leonard, I have taken three trannies out, from Talon and Galant.AWD and FWD, Turbo, NT, And mind you I have one out right now!, but I fail to see what that rocker is that you can see from outside.you mean the engine mount? then that is an engine mount.

But if your tranny moves and your engine doesn't, let me be frank, you are basically fucked. for whatever reason the belly pins are broken.
(i read your post once more to see if I can get more)

once agian I need to emphesize there is NO sealing between the engine and the tranny is the 4G63 manual family. the clutch housing is DRY environment as it needs to be. there is only a plate between the engine and the tranny,you need a picture of it? I take one right now and have it posted here.

inthis link you see the two side.

the plane that I am talking about is there,
lower sides of the engine you see the aligning Dully pins. there is NO oil in that area.

http://www.geocities.com/aminahmadi/technical/Block.html

If the engine mount is gone that would NOT cause the symptoms you said, I had that thing dead for a century!.

BUt if I am getting you post wrong then sorry, clarify it

i'llpost some relevant pictures soon
GoodLuck
Amin

Re: Tranny help!!!!! #98662
July 21, 2002 03:30 am UTC
July 21, 2002 03:30 am UTC
Wingham, Ontario
L
L
Wingham, Ontario
I am sorry, I do not know engine stuff very well. I don't know what exactly is wrong, I just know the tranny is coming off to fix it.
I am thinking about saving up to get an ACT clutch kit put in since I can get dealer prices on the stuff (hopefully). What else could I put in the tranny to make it a little better?

Heh, maybe a new tranny altogether??

Thanks,
Len

90 Laser RS NA
Re: Tranny help!!!!! #98663
July 21, 2002 01:27 pm UTC
July 21, 2002 01:27 pm UTC
Hamilton
A
Amin Ahmadi Offline
Insane Member
Amin Ahmadi  Offline
Insane Member
A
Hamilton
you still haven't got the point of my last post!

I am afraid I must the diagnosis that you described here was not right.
I am saying this to prevent any REDO and after ward trouble once the mechanic opens everything up and realizes or even worse puts everything back and the problem still exists

But anyhow!

GoodLuck