November 27, 2000 05:54 am UTC
November 27, 2000 05:54 am UTC
Northbrook,IL,USA
P
Peter Laskiewicz Offline OP
Peter Laskiewicz  Offline OP
P
Northbrook,IL,USA
Hey guys, some of you know I did a 5-spd conversion with the help of Mike H., but am still having problems.

The problem is that my pressure plate face is grinding against the back of the transmission, after taking it apart and removing the spacer I put inbetween the crankshaft and the flywheel.

But I do know what the problem is. The front face of the Pressure plate is rubbing against the lip inside the tranny bell housing on the bottom right ever so slightly. So I have it figured out. The problem is I can't figure out why it's doing that.

Possible Theories:

I found out the Centerforce clutch I got for free is from a 2G AWD. But supposedly the all the clutches are the same. I am getting a new ACT clutch this week. Maybe that was the problem?

2.Flywheel from and AWD?: The only way the flywheel could be an AWD, is if the person took an AWD, and put a FWD ring gear on it, which is highly unlikely, and probably wouldn't work anyway.

3. The flywheel (I did resurface it) itself it warped, and caused the grinding for that reason, but the weird thing is that the first time I started the car, it had no grinding with the clutch in, but now it does even with the clutch all the way in.

4. I have no clue. Maybe the crankshaft sticks out more on an automatic than a manual. Then I would definatly be screwed.

I am just tired of pulling the tranny a third time in the last 2 weeks.

Thanks for the help Anyone have and suggestions?

------------------
92 Eagle Talon Tsi
13.8 @105.4 mph

[This message has been edited by Peter Laskiewicz (edited November 27, 2000).]

92 Eagle Talon Tsi
13.8 @105.4 mph
Re: Pressure Plate Grinding against Tranny #13716
November 27, 2000 06:34 pm UTC
November 27, 2000 06:34 pm UTC
Halifax, NS
Troy Jollimore Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Troy Jollimore  Offline
Senior Member, with Far TOO Much Time on Their Hands
Halifax, NS
It may have adjusted a different way after installation. Of course, aren't the flywheels supposed to be ground down a bit extra for the CenterForce?

Personally, if it were working fine, I'd just grind away the area on the bell housing that it's contacting. Problem solved. (:

Re: Pressure Plate Grinding against Tranny #13717
November 27, 2000 07:27 pm UTC
November 27, 2000 07:27 pm UTC
Northbrook,IL,USA
P
Peter Laskiewicz Offline OP
Peter Laskiewicz  Offline OP
P
Northbrook,IL,USA
Except the 2nd problem is that the car won't engage into any gears, even with the clutch all the way out.

When I try to put it into 1st, it slowly starts to roll foward, but never actually goes into 1st gear.

I am going to pull it all apart... again. Install a fresh ACT 2100 and check the step.

But I still don't see why the dam plate is grinding.

------------------
92 Eagle Talon Tsi
13.8 @105.4 mph

[This message has been edited by Peter Laskiewicz (edited November 27, 2000).]

92 Eagle Talon Tsi
13.8 @105.4 mph